“Enigma”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Guia de Isora
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Enigma”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I really don't know where to start,so maybe the beginning would be good.Booked this hotel as a surprise for my girlfriend,we had seen it from a distance on a boat trip last year and she said that looks interesting be nice to stay there sometime.

We were on 14 day trip to Tenerife 10 days,Hotel Botanico,transferring to Abama for 4 days.Whilst in Tenerife I upgraded to Abama Suite from deluxe room.On arrival at hotel we were greeted by very helpful and smartly dressed bell boys,first impressions very unusual architecture and style of hotel but impressed.On booking in at reception we were offered a drink and I was advised I had to pay for upgrade and was presented with a bill for 1000 euros, i said that is not correct and after a lot of computer tapping and talking in Spanish,my apologise Mr Cutting the amount to pay is 600 euros
An introduction to the hotel,it's amenities,restaurants,what to wear in the differing restaurants etc.

Off to the room, very impressed,lounge dining room,lovely suite,led tv,large spacious bedroom,led tv,separate bathroom,shower and toilet,nice balcony with view of sea,very impressed,what a good decision,peace,tranquility,what more could a man want.

Unpacked looked through the hotel literature,very strict code of dress for restaurants,separate areas for children,swimming pools etc,hadn't seen any children but didn't expect to see many in hotel of this type,primarily a golfing hotel.To quote the welcome brochure "It offers luxurious
amenities to indulge every possible requirement and yet it's also place of tranquility and seclusion"
and so it seemed,beyond anything you could ever expect. Time for a drink and a quick look around.

The hotel is proving to be a bit difficult to find your way around,but we have only just arrived and it's part of the adventure,we decided to visit San Juan,so off we went,had a look around back to hotel and off to bed,very comfortable bed,let the adventure begin.

was woken at about 6.45 by the sound of barking dogs,which were yelping,barking and making a right racket and genuinely thought the hotel must have a kennels for guests travelling with dogs,the barking lasted for approx 15 mins and then went quiet,so into the shower and off to breakfast.

Well what a surprise was waiting for us there,we managed to get a table on the balcony,a bad mistake,this is where the children are,everywhere,running around,rolling on the floor,screaming,you name it they were doing it,there was a wonderful choice to,from a few months old to 10/15 year olds.we endured this trauma for as long as the breakfast took,which by the way was excellent,many choices and well laid out.On leaving the Manager Angel Miranda approached us asking if everything was ok,it obviously was not and I explained to him that I had never experienced anything like it in all mt travels around the world,it can only be compared to McDonalds children's party experience,in fact the only thing missing was Ronald McDonald and a circus clown blowing up balloons and turning them into animals,he was very understanding agreed with my comments and promised to try and improve the situation.I will get the breakfast experience out of the way for the four days we are going to to endure this feeding time at the zoo.Senor Miranda greeted us the following day,took us to a table in what was supposed to be an adult area,which it technically was,but the the screaming still carried on,it was not separate just no children dining in it,during these four days one child of about 8 had gone to the buffet loaded her plate with fruit,I counted 3 bananas,grapes,melon pieces and various other fruits piled high took it back to the family table and immediately father returned with the plate,taking it back to the buffet,another occasions a child obviously was not getting his way and decided to roll on the floor have a good scream,while his parents left him there,the breakfast staff having to walk around him.On another occasion 2 boys decided this was the disco area and needed to dance,children running around not monitored by their parents constantly and this is the Ritz Carlton.I don't think it would happen in London.The balcony dining area was a complete no go area for guests without children,the families took it over completely some tables making up 8 places with high chairs as well,a complete war zone.
Where these children came from I have no idea,because you didn't see much of them during the day,its as if they were bused in every day.Obviously the parents are a lot to blame for allowing their little treasures to run around on there own.Senor Miranda did his best looked after us very well but the senior management,need to look at this in great depth and have a completely separate area for families with a play area attached and a door to keep the noise out and allow there guests to have breakfast on the balcony in the peace and tranquilly they promise.Breakfast moan over.

We went out to a bar area the only couple there,this was obviously the peace and tranquility but it would not last,flies kept landing on us not many just an annoying one or two,we had a smoke and this seemed to deter them,we stayed for about half an hour had aloof around the very impressive and expensive shops and returned to the room to plan the day.We decided to have a drink on the balcony in peace and tranquility but those pesky flies had decided to follow us,I rang asking for a fly spray to be delivered to the room and we decided to go to the beach.

The beach was lovely not to busy we found sun beds and settled down for a relaxing day,we had been there about 5 mins when we were approached by a member of staff and were advised we had to pay for the beds,which we did,we thought it rather a rum do paying top price for hotel then having to pay for sun beds but hey ho.I t was 25 euros from memory,not cheap either.Swimming lying in the sun a trip to the beach bar we thought.Meet the flies I have never seen so many on the bar on the cups on the glasses and the staff seemed completely oblivious,how they did it I have no idea,a couple next to us eating their meal had a dish on the bar like a Roman candle,this worked a treat to keep them fly less.What I didn't understand there was no fly electric executor,no fly sticky strips,the staff just seemed not to notice them.We retreated to the sun beds.A lovely day at the beach.

Back to the room,no fly spray but 2 very annoying flies I eventually after three requests got a fly spray,peace and tranquility returned just like the brochure.

On passing reception we enquired about the price of the sun beds and were informed there is no charge for guests,we were asked for a description of the member of staff who charged us and an enquiry would be made and we would receive a full refund and many apologies.The following day we went to the adult only pool and were approached by the member of staff who had charged us,how he knew who we were is beyond me but he was most apologetic and bought us a round of drinks which was extremely generous and said he should of asked us our room number.

On returning to the hotel i asked to speak to his manager and explained to her he had been very apologetic had bought us drinks and the matter was forgotten,until this review because mistakes were made with relation to money and none of them were in my favour,one more to come.

We now come to check out and I am presented with a bill for 600 euros, I explain I was charged for my upgrade when I arrived and the problem I had with that after a lot of discussion again in Spanish the bill came to 300 euros again I am saying I have paid,I was asked who was the receptionist
when I arrived luckily she was on the desk,more discussions in Spanish more tapping into the computer it was explained to me I hadn't been charged enough tax,the 300 euros was incorrect and because I was due a credit for the sun beds we would call it quits.

Finally the dog saga was a one off it seemed to be from the banana plantation,the flies we were told was because the banana plantations would be spraying insecticide so the flies escape for a better life for a short period.Senor Miranda did his best a very nice man our waitress Veronica was lovely,the beach was great, the hotel different, the room lovely,would I return I am not sure,the peace and tranquility I can find at many places and for a lot less money.

We departed to our limo were met by Mr Ted Tucker Executive Assistant Manager of the Ritz -Carlton Abama an extremely nice man,who apologised for our problems hoped we had enjoyed our stay never the less,hoped we would visit again and if we were he would sort something out for us,whatever that meant,he talk a photo of us,which was very nice,wished us a pleasant journey home,escorted us to our limo ,checked our baggage was in the boot,waved us good bye and the peace and tranquility was with us all the way to the airport.The ADVENTURE WAS OVER.

Room Tip: Don't go when the banana plantations are being sprayed,a sea view is a must
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mervyncutting
Abama1, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Abama, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear mervyncutting,

Thank you so much for sharing your valuable opinion with us, I personally appreciate your objective feedback about your experience here with us. I am always extremely pleased to receive feedback, whether it is direct here while you are with us at the resort, or if you prefer to share it after you have departed. Although there are many positive aspects of your stay that you mention, I will naturally focus myself on the areas where we missed the mark and ask for your forgiveness for these shortcomings.

I personally will ensure with all of our managers here that we will use this feedback to better our operation and improve the service that we are offering to our guests in the future.
If you are considering a return trip in the future I would be very happy to personally here from you, I assure you that we would take excellent care of you and provide you with a truly first class experience.

I hope to have that opportunity one day in the not too distant future.

With best personal regards,

David Cayuela

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Berkshire
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We booked a desperately needed holiday on a whim. We stayed in the Tagor Villas and I can only say the additional cost is more than worth it. One staff member said that it was their job to make busy people lazy. They certainly did that and more. Nothing was too much trouble.

Our room was beautiful and the view was breathtaking. The food was excellent particularly breakfast which is always my favourite.

And the Gin and Tonics ... exceptional!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank intrepidshopper
Dear intrepidshopper,

I am writing to wholeheartedly thank you for your fantastic review, I appreciate you taking the time to share the good Word about our resort and assure you that you would be welcomed back to Tagor Villas with open arms! We would love to have you back with us.

I personally hope to meet you during your next visit to thank you for your kindness in person.

With regards,

David Cayuela
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We have been to the Abama 6 times now for winter or autumn sunshine and to re-charge our batteries. On the last visit we stayed in the Tagor Villas which were fantastic. The pool is a child free zone, so very quiet with staff always on hand to assist without being obtrusive. There are always niggles wherever you stay in the world and the Abama is no exception, however if and when anything isn't quite as it should be they sort the issue out immediately.

We will continue to come back as it's the perfect luxury getaway for winter sun with less than 4 1/2 hours fly time from Leeds.

Room Tip: If you are without children and want to be fully looked after then the Tagor Villas are brilliant. Y...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Paul M
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Having returned recently from my fourth stay at Abama one would think I must surely adore the place?? .. I do but...
Be easier to make the pointers:
1. If a couple pay the extra and stay in the Tagor Villas (adult only) also pay for an Ocean View.
2. Be careful selecting your type of accommodation- take too long to explain but in essence there is the main "Citadel" building (cheaper) and then the "Villas" - don't be fooled these whilst are more exclusive they are not villas they are simply larger units (rooms). They also are served by individual pools which give more privacy and comfort. There are four rows of these set out like streets- Row 3 is the only one which is adult only and "butler" service - most expensive category however the villa (room) is identical to other three rows.
3. Accommodation in Abama is tired. Working in the industry for a high end tour operator in the past I have inspected superior hotels for a living. This hotel is beautiful, well laid out, spacious, offers every amenity at high end scale but accommodation in the rooms (all categories bar the one bed suite which HAVE been refurbished!) are TIRED. The bathrooms are fine (not contemporary but adequate and luxury) the rooms are in need of major update. I was pleased to see the flimsy tablecloth from
Previous stay in the room has been removed. Just require the wicker chairs and the hideous paintings together with replacing curtains (worn) with newer blinds. You may think this immaterial but when you are paying the same as for instance a new Jumeriah in Majorca you would think again!
4. Abama has a great blend of restaurants- from Michelin Star MB (closed when I was there as June quiet!) to the "mass market" Verona (Italian) and the "canteen" type adjacent to it. Mainly caters to those on Half board in high season if you do not want to be with chaos and kids running around stay away! Go to the Mirador - pay extra!
5. Talking of the Mirador- this is a fabulous restaurant which serves breakfast a la carte and also every conceivable breakfast item (albeit uncovered and I'd suggest it is covered!) it also serves lunch and dinner. Not catered for kids (relieved) and offers a very high end dining experience overall. There is a chronic problem here- stray cats!!!! Yes that's correct! Having raised this severe issue in the past I was extremely distressed to yet again see the presence of a few stray cats wandering through the outdoor (yes appreciate it is outdoors!) dining area and frequently inside until I or someone else complained. This is really unacceptable - could you envisage a stray car wandering through The Langham Hotel in London??? - I rest my case.
Again I raised this to the hotel manager whilst he agreed in principal and tried to appease by suggesting breakfast was delivered to my Tagor Villa- this is not the solution - aside from hygiene it is very alarming when the management are aware but still at best ignore this ingrained issue. I have my own remedial action but best I do not expand on that on here!!!
6. To conclude on a positive - book yourself on the Spa! This really is great! Mind you having opted for the "Brazilian Slimming Thigh treatment" - I think biting into the towel trying to wish I'd dieted before my holiday in one hour was not going to achieve the desired effect! Go and try the spa!
7. Finally I would go back as there is a uniqueness about Abama it is peaceful ( when no cats!), spacious, beautifully set out and has sophistication and overall professional, hardworking staff. I would like to mention one lady who works in the Mirador, her name is Magda- I made a friend with her two years ago and only finding her on my last day again she greeted me like I was family. The people are kind, gracious and hard working. If they can fix the issues I raised then frankly of be content going back every year left of my life.

• Stayed June 2014
9 Thank Mysteryone
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Like many other reviewers, we had a mixed experience.

Facilities are great but apparently June is not considered high season, so 1 pool was shut and many of the restaurants were on a rolling schedule of opening.

We were left waiting for the free shuttle back from the tennis, not once but twice. Both times the concierges were apologetic but it doesn't cut it when you've had to walk back most of the way.

The breakfast in the main hotel is like a school canteen however with good food. A large family group was seated next to us in the adults only area, by a manager, and our immediate complaint was met with astonishment and ignored. There was a conference on 2 nights of our stay. Like previous reviewers noted, the delegates had a poolside dinner with loud music into the night.

The service in most restaurants was fantastic, notable exception the Italian (we walked out after waiting half an hour for the pudding menu), and the reception staff were very helpful. The location is great and we love the beach - so quiet and such a lovely place to swim.

Please note we are out all day, so can not comment on daytime service between 10am to 5pm. The one time we spent half a day at the hotel, I took the towels from the pool hut at the adults only pool, as the worker was too busy laughing & joking with cleaning staff to bother with guests, he arrived 10 minutes alter & clearly expected a tip for relaying our towels on the loungers.

I suspect there is disparate service based on: level of room booked and frequency of visit. We switched to the abama on recommendation of colleagues & friends who are regulars. We are there in September, in a Tagor room, so we'll see what happens!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dsg1000
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Simply stunning, the tripadvisor reviews had put me off this hotel, not sure what they are going on about, I think my wife and I are quite critical travellers, and we have to say we found staying at the Tagor Villas a superb experience. We came here after checking out from the Bahia Del Duque whose main pool was closed.

Yes, I can confirm the food in Verona wasn't great, and we travelled in June, and had no problem getting restaurant reservations. I wouldn’t attach too much importance to the other tripadvisor reviews.

Ricardo, Jasmine, Ana, Sophie and Abdo at the Tagor Villas made us feel very welcome, the room was spacious and nicely appointed, excellent quality bed, bedding and pillows. Nice TV, the pool area is perfect to relax and unwind, with the water temperature being ideal! The beach restaurant is very nice indeed, breakfast at El Mirador was good, although service can be a little slow at times, and I would prefer the buffet to be under cover rather open to the elements. Lois from El Mirador was a little surly and unwelcoming, but everyone else was great and really helpful.

Having your own golf cart is perfect, room service was good, an all-round great place to be, my only complaint was the room noise, with lots of footsteps and furniture dragging from the room above.

We’ll booking to go again as soon as work schedule permits, if it’s this good every time, then we’ll be going a couple of times a year.

Room Tip: The Tagor Villas for couples are fantastic!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jo D
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We recently returned from an very enjoyable holiday at the Abama resort that I feel just about did enough to have a 5* review. Check in was seamless and the lady even booked us to a restaurant for later that evening, this a trend that carried on throughout our stay and contrary to some reviews I felt that service was Excellent.

Our Room was spotless and was very spacious and I could not fault the actual room, however the pool that was directly outside our room was shut for no apparent which was disappointing as it would have been ideal to have a pool on our doorstep.

The restaurants were also very good and I don't think I had a bad meal, however the food it very expensive and you can get just as good quality food for 1/3 of the price in San Juan down the road, one thing that annoyed me was the fact they charged 5 Euros for a 200ml Diet Coke, when in the town restaurants were charging 2 Euros for 350ml, It wasn't really the price that annoyed me but the size of the bottles, I mean if you pay more you should get more (thats how quality works) however with the drinks you were paying more and getting less, which I can only translate as being poor quality.

The Tennis and Padel courts were brilliant but they were always empty (not sure why) and breakfast was always good (however the Ketchup was disgusting)

Overall a very relaxing and enjoyable stay and would return and recommend to a friend (just sort out those Diet Cokes)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Angus774
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guia de Isora
Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
Vincci Seleccion La Plantacion del Sur
IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel El Mirador
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#2 of 80 in Puerto de la Cruz
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,536 reviews
RedLevel at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora
Bahia del Duque
Bahia del Duque
#10 of 57 in Costa Adeje
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,050 reviews

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Abama? Share your experiences!