“Strange experience”
Review of Monastrell - MOVED

Monastrell
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2014

we visited Monastrell 16th of July, it was my Birthday and my daughter has decided to make me present with a dinner with Michelin star restaurant. Everything was great, service and food until they brought us chocolate cake that we did not ask for. It was very nice first, because we decided that this is is just a nice gesture from their side (when we came, we told them this is my Birthday, but did not order any cakes or so). So our dinner was split on two parts - one with great food and great attention - before cake, and second - after cake - they brought cake and just completely forgot about us. Not offered additional drinks, coffee or tea. The most disappointed was that they charged us Euro12 for this cake we did not asked for. We paid for dinner all together Euro144. Interesting experience, but I do not think we will try another Michelin star restaurant in visible future.

1  Thank AnnaFinity

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Ate here in two parts - firstly in the bar for a glass & tapas before heading out to eat elsewhere. We were the only ones in there, but that provided opportunity to chat to the waiters.
Secondly was to eat from the menu - the cherry gazpacho soup was superb. A little brown bag of bread with olive oil from a pipette felt a little pretentious !
A nice treat though - thoroughly enjoyed it.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is the second time I have eaten at this restauarant this year. I took some friends to try the tasting menu priced at €79 per person.The food was superb and I have included the tasting menu in the pictures I took along with some of the dishes we had. I would recommend you book a table to avoid any disappointment. Well worth the money and experience.
I hope you enjoy the food as much as I did.

1  Thank David A
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

The hallmark "Michelin Star" looks like a mockery or a bad joke in this place. Menu is more than average, they brought us salad made of tomatoes and cucumbers even without dressing. No fantasy at all, like these were the last products that they had found in the fridge. The next awful thing is that I told the waiter that I was a vegetarian and he answered me that there was no problem. And what they did? They brought me a tapa-starter with a fried sausage. FRIED SAUSAGE! First of all it is meat, you know. And then is it a dish in michelin-starred restaurant? Seems more like an old bachelor's breakfast. Very poor.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We visited this place by chance when walking by because the atmosphere and settings looked really nice. They have a courtyard where you can sit and feel like being outside and also a nice indoor part. The place has a quality tapas part and a fancier restaurant with apparently one michelin star. We went to the restaurant and were not disappointed. We have had problems finding good restaurants in Alicante area and the famous spanish cuisine seems to be reserved for other parts of the country. But this place surprised us and served very good food and excellent service. Even if it is a fancy place, kids were not a problem and they could order from the quality tapas even if eating in the restaurant. Prices are high but it was worth it. Fish dish of Red mullet was better than the traditional rice spanish dishes. They also have a 8 course menu for about 90 euro we did not try but maybe next time.