“Wonderful Location”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Wonderful Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

Wonderful location. Do ask for the beach facing room. the other side is harbour facing. decent rooms with balcony overlooking the beach. good breakfast, restaurant, bar.. the location is just amazing.. heart of the city. next to a casino. pubs, restaurants all a short walk away.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank RajatBMumbai (Bombay)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Maidenhead
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

Stayed for the second but not the last time this August. Fantastic location with sea views and walkable to the sea front esplanade. Private parking with hotel discount right next door. We stayed for the second time at The Level on the 5th floor. This has separate lift access and separate reception with superior rooms - they refer to the rooms as suites but they are not, just large rooms.. The Level has its own complimentary bar/snack area. One pours one's own drinks and there are snacks appropriate to the time of day: breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, evening tapas. One is made to feel special and it is a special place..

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Isler0
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

Me and hubby have just come back from another holiday at this wonderful hotel. I have been reading other reviews saying such things as "not a 4*" and "not as good as last year" and I do sometimes wonder what on earth people expect? But I must admit yeh, it isn't Buckingham Palace! But then again, I'm not the Queen!!!!!!!!!! But I felt like one at this hotel. We stayed on the Level, in a junior suite. The room was huge, with a beautiful view overlooking the pool and sea. The level has it's own reception so no queing to check in. It has a private lounge where drinks are free and snacks and brekkie are provided. In the room the mini bar full of soft drinks is also free and refilled up regularly. The staff are wonderfuland cannot do enough for you. Maria who sorted out the breakfast was lovely. The location of the hotel is fantastic. Taxi ranks at the door, Marina on one side, the sea on the other and just across the road are a vast amount of restaurants and bars, great to sit in with a jug of sangria and 'people watch'. The only criticism I do have however is that in a morning, you go down to the pool and even by 8.15am, you'll find all the sunbeds in the sunny part, draped with towels but no one on themt. What really annoyed me was that 4 sunbedsnext to us, had towels on them from 7.30am through till 11.30am before the 'occupiers' arrrived. They then dumped their books and bags and went off down to the beach. This did make me very angry. Why do people do this???? When I complained about this matter to our receptionist, she told me I should just move the towels off. This I did not feel was the solution and I really feel this is the responsibility of the Melia hotel and that they should sort this problem out as I saw 2 full blown arguments between guests because of this very matter! This is a real problem that does needs sorting as it reflects badly on the hotel!

Room Tip: If possible, get a room on the Level. It is well worth it!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank elainematty
Derry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Once again this year, my family and I were passing through Alicante and based on our previous stay in the Melia Alicante we decided to stay there again. We were not as happy with our stay there this year as we were last year. As I wrote a glowing review on Tripadvisor last year I feel compelled to update my opinion of the hotel this year. As a person with Coeliac Disease, last year I was bowled over by the beautiful gluten free home made breads I received for breakfast, along with gluten free mini muffins and biscuits. This year however, my request for gluten free fresh breads was not successful. One member of restaurant staff said she would get back to me, and she never did. So I asked another member of the kitchen staff who gave me two very poor, supermarket bought gluten free pieces of bread which were pretty revolting and inedible. I did question the availability of the high quality breakfasts I had received last year and I was told that's all there was. On checking out I spoke to the duty manager who was very pleasant, said that the restaurant is still capable of catering for coeliacs and I could email her if we planned to stay there next year and if she was still working there she would make sure that I was catered for. Fair enough, but still, disappointing this year. Furthermore, the floor tiles in both rooms of our accommodation were loose and rocky, and many of them cracked, leaving sharp edges which were a distinct danger to our young children's bare feet. A minor irritation was a broken shower control.Finally, our room was not ready for us until 2:50pm although it is supposed to be possible to check in from mid-day.
Aside from this and out of the hotel's control is the noise. Any parents travelling with small children probably end up, like ourselves, sitting on their balcony later in the night while the children sleep. Unfortunately this year, whether it is due to the opening of a new club or bar, there was phenomenally loud music blasting out over the bay until 2:30am.
That's it.

Room Tip: Last year I suggested a beach view. This year, the noise that comes with it means I wouldn't. Ho...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ethec
north east england
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

stayed in August 2012 for one week, two rooms booked, 3 adults one child.

Booked two rooms on a high floor next to each other, non smoking, we received two rooms, 1st floor, in the smoking floor.... and not initially together! I had called before booking to make sure our room requirement could be met, i also called 7 days before staying to ensure our rooms requirement could be met, both times it was assured we could have two rooms on a high floor in a quiet part of the hotel, next door to each other and most importantly as we have a child that it was non smoking. none of these requirement when we were arrived were met, nor could even the front desk manager do anything about this!

-The rooms- as I have said our rooms were not as promised, we were asked to spend the first night in the rooms that we were allocated and to come back in the morning to resolve this issue. I returned to the front desk at 10am to be told to return at 12midday, which i did and waited 30mins to speak to front desk (this longs ques for front desk continued the whole week, maybe melia should think about more staff during peak seasons) then i was told to return at 3pm, which I did with still no joy. I asked to speak to the front desk manager, and again told to return at 5pm as no manager was in the whole building from 1pm to 5pm... to me this is not acceptable from a 4* hotel, Even when the manager came she could not do anything, she offered us two rooms but where no where near each other, which is unsuitable for our requirements. I refused and was told there was nothing they could do! this amazes me, we even asked that we would pay to upgrade to suites to ensure cleaner, better location rooms, which we were told we could not do so. So for the rest of the week, we were stuck in a smoking room, on a smoking floor, with a child, with two rooms that weren't clean and has cockroaches also inhabiting with us!

-The hotel cleanliness was shocking..... more like what you would expect in a 2* hotel that you paid £15 a night for, not a 4* hotel charging 4* prices. hotel room was dirty, on two occasion at 6pm when returned to the room I had to call housekeeping to ask for our rooms to be cleaned and fresh towels, to which it took them over 2 hours to meet this simply and basic request. The balcony was filthy, did not look as it had been cleaned since the start of the summer season.

-Cockroaches, on a separate two occasions we had cockroaches in our bedroom, to all front desk could say was sorry, we never left the doors open did not use the balcony due to the fact it was extremely dirty so I queried where these were coming from, which I was told they did not know, nor could they do anything about it.

- Beds, asked for a double bed in one of the rooms, which we received two single pushed together, the beds were very uncomfortable, both myself and husband ended up with bad backs from sleeping on them, no spare pillows in the room, sheets only changed once after I had to ask repeatedly to change.

- safes, one of our rooms the safe was broken, after 4 days of asking for a new working safe we gave up that like everything else about our stay would be sorted.

- WiFi, what a joke that you receive free WiFi, the signal is horrendous, goes off for extended periods of time

-Hotel Gym, is a joke, one running machine working and a bike.... you can use the spa gym at a cost of €21 for the week, unacceptable really for a hotel claiming to be 4*

-there are only two slight positive from this stay, yes the lobby looks 4* however that is where the 4* star illusion ends, and that there was ONE pleasant and friendly front desk woman who was at least friendly and tried to help, even she agreed what we had received of service was not right. Also the SPA is pleasant and nice enough, however you have to PAY to use these facilities,

I believe that the Melia chain should take note from other major 4&5* chains and remember that the customer is always right, and when they are not happy that their needs haven't been met as promised, that they rectify the situation not shrug and say there is nothing they can do. Severely disappointing and completely affected the mood of our "relaxing holiday".

Room Tip: To pick a good room......stay in another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank ickle_pickle_pickle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

I thought the location was excellent. However, i expected alot alot more from a 4 star trip advisor recommended hotel. The service was horrible; the front desk staff were not friendly at all. Although WiFi is free and public, when my phone died & i needed to finalize a booking, they wouldnt let me use their desktop computer for 5 minutes unless i pay 4 euros. Secondly, a 4 star hotel employee tells me that she can not take note of my request for late checkout, i have to call in the morning "BEFORE BREAKFAST TIME (7:30AM) to request late check-out. That's a first. Lastly, i killed a fly in the bathroom that to my surprise was there till the last day. For some reason room service decided to leave it on the bathroom sink.

All in all, i do not recommend this hotel unless your only interest is location which is closness to city center.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Toomzie
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

In April of 2012 me and my dad spent 5 or 6 nights in the Melia. First impression of the hotel was a definite 4 star accomodation, although a little business-like. The staff were quite nice, their English was so-so but that did seem to be the norm in Alicante. The room was nice although a bit too small for 2 men. Our balcony was fantastic overlooking the beaches. The food was great, lots of it and lots of choice. The focus on breakfast does seem to be on the sweet side, but really can´t complain about it. They have a swimming pool and gym (which are little costly if you ask me) and a table tennis table which needs some TLC but great as we love it. My only gripe really is the bar area. Not cosy at all and very expensive. That could be improved much in terms of atmosphere and the restaurant is massively overpriced for what it is. I suppose that´s part of the deal in chain hotels like these. These are only small issues though in what otherwise is a fine hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business