Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Patrick K
Campello, Spain

Shocking and humiliating experience at check-in ! Be warned !

Review of Melia Alicante
2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 26 Sept 2017
I booked this hotel in January 2017 for a 2-week stay in September. I used my credit card to make the booking , and a room for 2 with breakfast was paid for in advance at a cost of 1870 euros.
Upon arrival on September 8th , the unsmiling receptionist confirmed our booking , AND confirmed that payment had been made in full , in advance. She took our passports and then asked for my credit card. This is standard practice with any hotel that I have stayed at throughout the world , and I assumed she would ' swipe ' my credit card for any extras we have throughout our stay . Instead , the receptionist said that my credit card was not the one she wanted , and that she wanted the one that I'd booked the room with back in January.
I told her that it was the same credit card provider, but that in the intervening period my previous card had expired and this was it's replacement. She said that it was no good as it did not have the same account number. I pointed out that this was commonplace when a new card is issued , but she was insistent that only the original card, showing the original card number would suffice. Growing increasingly agitated by this time, I reminded her that by her own admission she had clear proof that the room had already been paid for and that I really couldn't understand what the problem was. To this, she replied that I may not be the true customer, and could be using his booking fraudulently !
By this time, we had stood at their reception desk for approximately 30 minutes trying to gain access to a room that I'd fully paid for 8 months previously. My wife was very upset, and I was extremely angry. I called for the manager...
A lady of around 28 years of age attended after a few minutes and declared herself to be the senior staff member present. The situation was explained, but she simply reiterated that it was MELIA policy throughout their entire chain of hotels that the card a room is booked with must be presented upon arrival . This she said was to ensure that identity fraud wasn't being carried out !
I pointed out to her that if I was an identity fraudster, then I must be a very good one as not only do I have a credit card with their customers name on, but I also have a debit card, a drivers licence AND a passport to gain entry to their country ! Furthermore, I've also bought along a wife with exactly the same credentials !
Ah she said , but unfortunately the credit card has a different account number !!!!
When I pointed out to her that all credit card providers require old cards to be destroyed when a new one is issued she acknowledged this to be true, but nonetheless just robotically repeated that it was MELIA policy etc .... !

Now an hour had passed and my wife reminded the lady that we'd been standing at their reception for some time without even being offered a seat, let alone any refreshment. She apologised and bought coffee for me and a cava for my wife.
Eventually she came up with a proposal to settle the matter and it was as follows...
They refund my original payment to my original card , and then once that had been done, I pay them again on my ' new ' credit card !
This was unacceptable to me for 3 reasons - 1) more time would elapse before I could gain entry to my room and begin my holiday . 2 ) the euro exchange rate had altered dramatically since January, and by a rough estimate would mean me paying around £200-250 for my accommodation. 3 ) it simply shouldn't be necessary !

I then asked if they would accept it if my credit card provider confirmed to their satisfaction that I was the true customer. She said yes.
I phoned my credit card provider, went through the various security questions ( all in the presence of the MELIA manager ) and asked them to do as the MELIA requested. They were astounded that the MELIA acted in this way, and said that it was the first time they'd ever been asked such questions. Nevertheless, they told the MELIA lady everything she needed to know, but then she asked them to send a screenshot of my January statement so that they had a paper record !
My credit card provider explained that data-protection law prevented him from doing this even with my permission.
By now we'd been in reception for 2 hours. No food , one drink , surrounded by our luggage and with no access to a room that I'D PAID FOR 8 MONTHS PREVIOUSLY !
I was incandescent with anger and , as a 62 year old unfit male , may have been close to a cardiac arrest had things continued for much longer !
I asked my credit card guy to transfer me to his manager, and she , having spoken to the MELIA lady , became as exasperated as me, and agreed , despite it being against all data-protection rules, to email the MELIA a screenshot of my January card statement showing the payment.
Now, quite why this finally solved the matter, is still not clear to me as they already had evidence of the payment upon my arrival. Still, after 2 hours we were just grateful to get to the room that WE'D PAID FOR !!
Not so much as a bowl of fruit awaited us, let alone a cheap bottle of plonk by way of an apology for the trouble and stress we'd been put to.
The MELIA'S final act in this outrageous saga was to phone our room early the following morning and ask me to sign the document that had been emailed to them ( as if that could make some sort of difference ! )
In summary, my wife and I were made to feel unwelcomed, humiliated , angry, stressed and to be some sort of crooks or fraudsters by the reception staff of the MELIA . Any good aspects that their hotel have ( and there are many ) are totally overshadowed by this awful experience which genuinely ruined the first 24 hours of our holiday.
Shame on you MELIA for operating with such an inflexible policy, and please don't refer me to small print about bringing with you the card that you use to book your room because I did . The account number changed that is all !!
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4.0 of 5 bubblesCleanliness
1.0 of 5 bubblesService
3.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
7,243 results
All reviews free bar level experience sea view level room level guests old town large hotel tapas beach side pool area junior suite afternoon sun building work half board fantastic location fifth floor paella
Selected filters
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

This is our second visit to this hotel. The location is perfect. We choose to upgrade to The Level. We had a suite. The view was perfect and the room was modern and comfortable. You have inclusive soft drinks with beer and wine and at certain times includes spirits. There are also snacks available. The breakfast was of a high standard and the staff were excellent.
Two big downsides - 1) the pool area on the Level only has sun until about 11 (there is also a lack of sun issue at the other pool) 2) the Level is on the first floor above a function room. There was a wedding reception until 3am and the music was so loud that I heard every word of every song. The hotel did offer a 10 % refund for this when I complained but the fact that the most expensive rooms are in this location is ludicrous. And to have a wedding reception going on until 3 am in a hotel where people are paying to sleep is wrong. My other gripe is people putting towels on beds and then not turning up for hours. This is not monitored by the hotel and should be.
Despite these things, we will still return to the hotel again. I think there should be a sunbathing area on the roof as the pools are too cold to swim in anyway.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chappell70
Reviewed 25 September 2017

Would give a 5 star review of the level experience. Really wonderful. Only little niggle and it’s not really the hotels fault but people should be made aware that from august onward the whole of the level outside pool/lounge area is in the shade from noon onward !! And for us Scots that’s a big disappointment!! Which means you need to use the hotels terrace area - where the ‘level’ privileges aren’t carried forward.
Other than that had a really wonderful 3 days and would definately return in the future. (Just in high season)!!!😎

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Meliá Hotels International
MeliaAlicante, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Melia Alicante, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you have dedicated to share your recent experience at our The Level at Meliá Alicante and for recommending our hotel to future travelers.

It is very gratifying for me to know that we have reached your expectations and I feel much appreciated by your compliments.

You can rest assure that I will share your comments with the team, as we encourage them to keep up the good work.

We are glad to know that you would definitely return, it will be a real pleasure for us to be your host during your next vacation at Meliá Alicante.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 25 September 2017

We stayed for 5 days and had a Junior Suite in 'The Level', which was fantastic experience, with a lovely room over looking the Med. The service was second to none and we really enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

Room tip: You must try the experience of 'The Level' well worth paying the extra for.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to thank you for selecting our Meliá Alicante to spend your anniversary, as well as for sharing your enjoyable stay with us.

Reading your review fills us of joy and happiness to know that we are actually achieving our purpose, which is making all our guests’ vacation a memorable experience.

You will always be welcome at our Meliá Alicante and it will be a real honor for us to be your host in a future visit.

Best regards,

Reviewed 25 September 2017

I come at this hotel for many years.It is an amazing hotel with great service and friendly, professional staff: housekeepers, bar and restaurants staff, receptionists and management staff.
Great location and much better, improved rooms every year.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Meliá Hotels International

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your loyalty in choosing our Meliá Alicante to spend your recent holidays.

We are really glad to know that you were able to enjoy our facilities and that you have dedicated a moment out of your valuable time to share your opinion about our Meliá Alicante with other travellers around the world.

It will be an honor for us to host your next vacation. Thank you once again for sharing your wonderful comments with us.

We would love to have you back again to our premises.

Cordially,

Reviewed 25 September 2017

Beautiful spacious suites. Immaculately clean. The level lounge was a great place to relax with beautiful views. The nibbles and drinks were fab and my family thoroughly enjoyed their time there. Brilliant location! Beach, shops, bars and restaurants. Perfect!

Room tip: Marina view
  • Trip type: Travelled with family