Lowest prices for your stay
£183
Melia.com
30 years of Melia Rewards
Mikesol
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom

Great location

Review of Melia Alicante
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 28 Sept 2017
I like this hotel, the location is great and easy to get to from the airport, next to the beach and bars. Rooms are great and some have a sea view. Have stayed a couple of times and would stay again . There is an outside pool.
Trip type: Travelled solo
  • Algotels
2.9 miles from Melia Alicante
View more hotels in Alicante
7,224 results
All reviews free bar level experience sea view level room level guests old town large hotel tapas beach side pool area junior suite afternoon sun building work half board fantastic location fifth floor paella
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 September 2017

This is a difficult review to write, we had an overall lovely holiday in this hotel, met wonderful people all fellow guests, fabolous setting close to everything. The hotel itself is lovely, our room was lovely, the sleep experience was good.

The breakfast was fab, every morning a que not only for a table but at each counter, the side plates to control portion sizes were frankly silly, however the food and variety was fantastic.

We booked a premium room with a view of the marina. On arrival we were told we had a sea view, I expressed I had specifically booked a marina view with a room with tea and coffee facilities, we were staying 7 days. The receptionist shrugged his shoulders in a very dismissive way and said it was all the same and I should take what I get. I felt bullied. Anyway being tired after a long journey, I took the sea view with a tiny balcony with a very restricted sea view and no tea or coffee facilities. Frustratingly, the door card failed to work almost every day of our stay, more irritating by what felt like miles of corridor to get back to reception with seriously dodgy slow lifts, on our final day I brought the card back again as it was not working, this time the receptionist said, in an exasperated tone, I must have kept it by a mobile, I said no, then I must have kept it by a credit card, she just grabbed the card and reset it. I thought the customer service didn't exist. The staff in general did there job professionally but without a glimmer of interaction, with one exception the lady we checked out with. The beach was so packed it was unusable, and the pool for the hotel was tiny and freezing. I wouldn't return again, over priced and impersonal.

3  Thank Ann O
Reviewed 27 September 2017

My husband & enjoyed a 3 night stay following a recommendation by friends. We caught the Alicante bus C6 at the level 2 departures from the airport, only took 20 mins & stopped right by the hotel 3.45 euros. We had already checked in on line so should have been able to use the fast track check-in but there was no-one on this desk so we had to wait about 20 minutes which was not really a problem. We were early so our room was not ready until 4, the reception staff were helpful & as we had vouchers to the value of 10 euros a day to spend at a couple of the bars we were able to use the 1st one straight away if we wanted, we were given the passes for the towels at the pool so we could enjoy the facilities until our room was ready. The hotel was clean with a modern entrance & lovely dining room with sea views although some parts of the hotel looked a bit tired & dated. Our room on the 4th floor was over looking the pool, it never seemed to catch the sun due to the way the hotel is built, it was a little dark but was quiet & the bed very comfy. It would have been nice to have had tea/coffee making facilities, but this is a bonus in most hotels. We had breakfast included which was great, some of the best we have ever had our travels. Excellent service by the staff with everything you could think of from omelettes made to order, scrambled egg as good as my husband makes, smoked salmon, fresh fruits, cakes, cheese, ham - the choice was fantastic, with complimentary prosecco what more could you ask for. If you are a sun worshiper you need to be round the pool early as it is in the shade by lunch time, the sun moves round to the marina side of the hotel where there were sun beds. The lovely beach is right next door with a short cut down some steps from the pool area.The pool was not heated & certainly cooled you down, but was refreshing once you acclimatized. A shower in the loos was very useful for our last day when we had checked out & spent the day chilling out before our evening flight. All in all we really enjoyed our stay & would definitely stay again, it's in a great location, taxi rank outside the door & a short walk to the lovely esplanade with lots of tavernas offering excellent food. The castle is a short walk away & gives fantastic views over Alicante.

3  Thank bunnylover1961
Reviewed 26 September 2017

I booked this hotel in January 2017 for a 2-week stay in September. I used my credit card to make the booking , and a room for 2 with breakfast was paid for in advance at a cost of 1870 euros.
Upon arrival on September 8th , the unsmiling receptionist confirmed our booking , AND confirmed that payment had been made in full , in advance. She took our passports and then asked for my credit card. This is standard practice with any hotel that I have stayed at throughout the world , and I assumed she would ' swipe ' my credit card for any extras we have throughout our stay . Instead , the receptionist said that my credit card was not the one she wanted , and that she wanted the one that I'd booked the room with back in January.
I told her that it was the same credit card provider, but that in the intervening period my previous card had expired and this was it's replacement. She said that it was no good as it did not have the same account number. I pointed out that this was commonplace when a new card is issued , but she was insistent that only the original card, showing the original card number would suffice. Growing increasingly agitated by this time, I reminded her that by her own admission she had clear proof that the room had already been paid for and that I really couldn't understand what the problem was. To this, she replied that I may not be the true customer, and could be using his booking fraudulently !
By this time, we had stood at their reception desk for approximately 30 minutes trying to gain access to a room that I'd fully paid for 8 months previously. My wife was very upset, and I was extremely angry. I called for the manager...
A lady of around 28 years of age attended after a few minutes and declared herself to be the senior staff member present. The situation was explained, but she simply reiterated that it was MELIA policy throughout their entire chain of hotels that the card a room is booked with must be presented upon arrival . This she said was to ensure that identity fraud wasn't being carried out !
I pointed out to her that if I was an identity fraudster, then I must be a very good one as not only do I have a credit card with their customers name on, but I also have a debit card, a drivers licence AND a passport to gain entry to their country ! Furthermore, I've also bought along a wife with exactly the same credentials !
Ah she said , but unfortunately the credit card has a different account number !!!!
When I pointed out to her that all credit card providers require old cards to be destroyed when a new one is issued she acknowledged this to be true, but nonetheless just robotically repeated that it was MELIA policy etc .... !

Now an hour had passed and my wife reminded the lady that we'd been standing at their reception for some time without even being offered a seat, let alone any refreshment. She apologised and bought coffee for me and a cava for my wife.
Eventually she came up with a proposal to settle the matter and it was as follows...
They refund my original payment to my original card , and then once that had been done, I pay them again on my ' new ' credit card !
This was unacceptable to me for 3 reasons - 1) more time would elapse before I could gain entry to my room and begin my holiday . 2 ) the euro exchange rate had altered dramatically since January, and by a rough estimate would mean me paying around £200-250 for my accommodation. 3 ) it simply shouldn't be necessary !

I then asked if they would accept it if my credit card provider confirmed to their satisfaction that I was the true customer. She said yes.
I phoned my credit card provider, went through the various security questions ( all in the presence of the MELIA manager ) and asked them to do as the MELIA requested. They were astounded that the MELIA acted in this way, and said that it was the first time they'd ever been asked such questions. Nevertheless, they told the MELIA lady everything she needed to know, but then she asked them to send a screenshot of my January statement so that they had a paper record !
My credit card provider explained that data-protection law prevented him from doing this even with my permission.
By now we'd been in reception for 2 hours. No food , one drink , surrounded by our luggage and with no access to a room that I'D PAID FOR 8 MONTHS PREVIOUSLY !
I was incandescent with anger and , as a 62 year old unfit male , may have been close to a cardiac arrest had things continued for much longer !
I asked my credit card guy to transfer me to his manager, and she , having spoken to the MELIA lady , became as exasperated as me, and agreed , despite it being against all data-protection rules, to email the MELIA a screenshot of my January card statement showing the payment.
Now, quite why this finally solved the matter, is still not clear to me as they already had evidence of the payment upon my arrival. Still, after 2 hours we were just grateful to get to the room that WE'D PAID FOR !!
Not so much as a bowl of fruit awaited us, let alone a cheap bottle of plonk by way of an apology for the trouble and stress we'd been put to.
The MELIA'S final act in this outrageous saga was to phone our room early the following morning and ask me to sign the document that had been emailed to them ( as if that could make some sort of difference ! )
In summary, my wife and I were made to feel unwelcomed, humiliated , angry, stressed and to be some sort of crooks or fraudsters by the reception staff of the MELIA . Any good aspects that their hotel have ( and there are many ) are totally overshadowed by this awful experience which genuinely ruined the first 24 hours of our holiday.
Shame on you MELIA for operating with such an inflexible policy, and please don't refer me to small print about bringing with you the card that you use to book your room because I did . The account number changed that is all !!

11  Thank Patrick K
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

This is our second visit to this hotel. The location is perfect. We choose to upgrade to The Level. We had a suite. The view was perfect and the room was modern and comfortable. You have inclusive soft drinks with beer and wine and at certain times includes spirits. There are also snacks available. The breakfast was of a high standard and the staff were excellent.
Two big downsides - 1) the pool area on the Level only has sun until about 11 (there is also a lack of sun issue at the other pool) 2) the Level is on the first floor above a function room. There was a wedding reception until 3am and the music was so loud that I heard every word of every song. The hotel did offer a 10 % refund for this when I complained but the fact that the most expensive rooms are in this location is ludicrous. And to have a wedding reception going on until 3 am in a hotel where people are paying to sleep is wrong. My other gripe is people putting towels on beds and then not turning up for hours. This is not monitored by the hotel and should be.
Despite these things, we will still return to the hotel again. I think there should be a sunbathing area on the roof as the pools are too cold to swim in anyway.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chappell70
Reviewed 25 September 2017

Would give a 5 star review of the level experience. Really wonderful. Only little niggle and it’s not really the hotels fault but people should be made aware that from august onward the whole of the level outside pool/lounge area is in the shade from noon onward !! And for us Scots that’s a big disappointment!! Which means you need to use the hotels terrace area - where the ‘level’ privileges aren’t carried forward.
Other than that had a really wonderful 3 days and would definately return in the future. (Just in high season)!!!😎

Review collected in partnership with Meliá Hotels International
MeliaAlicante, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Melia Alicante, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you have dedicated to share your recent experience at our The Level at Meliá Alicante and for recommending our hotel to future travelers.

It is very gratifying for me to know that we have reached your expectations and I feel much appreciated by your compliments.

You can rest assure that I will share your comments with the team, as we encourage them to keep up the good work.

We are glad to know that you would definitely return, it will be a real pleasure for us to be your host during your next vacation at Meliá Alicante.

Respectfully,