“Good Hotel...but renew those filthy carpets!!”

Holiday Inn Alicante - Playa de San Juan
Ranked #42 of 49 Hotels in Alicante
scotland
“Good Hotel...but renew those filthy carpets!!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

As a Priority Platinum member I have raved about this hotel before as I have visited it every year for the last 8 yrs., and this trip in July was just as good.. socially.

HOWEVER for the last five years the corridor carpets need renewing as they are stained and STINK!

I am not the first to moan about the state of the carpets as many have stated before me.
This year we noticed that some parts of the hotel are getting a bit tired from the lack of close up maintenance, and don't get me started on those stupid plastic sun loungers!

Note: Free Wi-Fi can be a little patchy at times.

To the owner of this franchise: lets see a bit of money spent on your investment and get it back to some of its finer days.

Room Tip: Avoid pool facing rooms if you don't have kids with you for peace and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alicanteman
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alicante - Playa de San Juan, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Alicanteman,

Thank you for your feedback of our hotel. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am deeply sorry that on this day we were not able to meet your expectations especially with the condition of the carpets and hotel amenities received. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades.

We value you as an IHG Rewards Club Platinum member and we hope to have an opportunity to show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Montreal
Reviewed 15 July 2014

First of all, I have to say that I like this hotel. It's very convenient for a stay at San Juan playa and I personally prefer it to any of the hotels located right on the beach because it makes the hotel more calm and less party oriented. It also gives you the opportunity to have a little walk before getting to the beach (it's about 300m so really perfect in my opinion). The hotel also has a nice pool if you prefer the pool to going to the beach and the staff is usually very nice and helpful. It also has a little gym and paddel courts if you feel like keeping active. All this to say that I've stayed in this hotel about 6 or 7 times in the last 7 years and I'll probably be back. However... and it's a big however, there's no denying that since my 1st visit to this hotel (I absolutely loved the hotel at the time) it has been going steadily downhill. Everytime I make a review about the hotel it seems to me that the main issues remain on my next visit and I'm quite sure that I'm not being very picky. The main thing that should be easy to improve is the WIFI. I know it's free wifi but they advertise it as being free as in all IHG group hotels, and the signal is always very week in the rooms, if you want a good connection you have to go near the reception. The other thing that seems out of place to me is that in a 4 star hotel I don't expect to see in 2014 the old CRT TVs, I know it would be a rather big investment but a 4 star hotel needs to be a little more up to date. I think the TV isn't a big problem, but image-wise it looks terrible unless they get rid of 1 of the stars and then I suppose for a 3 star hotel it can be acceptable. I should add on the other hand that the channel selection is pretty good with many foreign language channels available. It seems to me that some of the rooms really need to be refurbished a little. The rooms are clean overall but the bathroom in my room this time really was starting to look tired; the hose on the showerhead was completely yellowish and there was a piece to the shower accesories that was missing. These are once again not very important issues when staying at a 2 star hotel, but if this one has 4 stars, I think this shouldn't happen.
Anyways, like I said earlier, I still like this hotel, I'd still go back, but if Holiday Inn wants their image to remain good they should do a few little improvements to the hotel because apart from the very nice staff I think it's absolutely not worthy of its 4 stars the way it is right now.

Room Tip: avoid the ground floor it can be quite noisy with people going to the beach and pool all the time.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank mark1977Montreal
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alicante - Playa de San Juan, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear mark1977Montreal,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good points of your stay. Your willingness to spare some of your time to relay your comments is genuinely appreciated. It is lovely to hear that our location suited your needs.

It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our product and service continually.

Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to your next visit.

Connie D
Isle of Wight
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Can only echo much that has been said before, a good value hotel based in a good location for exploring the area. I would rate the beach at San Juan as the finest I have visited in Europe in terms of space and cleanliness, We traveled to Benidorm for the day and really appreciated the contrast when we returned. Couple of practical points regarding traveling from the airport - take Bus C6 to Alicante Port (Puerto del Mar) then change to Bus 21 which stops outside the hotel, cost is around £5 in total one way and will take about an hour. The return bus route to Alicante leaves from the road behind the hotel and runs every 20 minutes. I can recommend the tram system also, the nearest station to Alicante is just up the hill Hollande or Av. Naciones, you can pay cash on board and the conductor even helped me with the ticket machine, although it is in English as an option. It costs around £6 return to Benidorm along a scenic route which again is excellent value, service was every 25 mins approx with one change at Lucentum.
The breakfast for £8 is OK and, as there is not much else around, was a sensible option for us.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MarkCP
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I haven't really got anything bad to say about this hotel, I can't I've stayed there three times.

My only problem is they don't seem to want to cater for other nationalities. Now I fully appreciate that your in Spain and except Spanish culture. But it would be nice for staff to understand the meaning of vegetarian or no mayonnaise, I do speak a little Spanish but staff could not comprehend no meat.

But as I say it's an ok hotel in a good location. It's also only 60mins on the tram to Benidorm if you fancy a full English.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank TheRailwayGypsy
wales
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We recently stayed at the |Hotel and were pleased with the staff who were very helpful after my wife fell in Alicante.
What was not good this time was the dirty carpets in hall ways and the general appearance of the Hotel, The manger really needs to get these things sorted out
as many people were complaining about the noise and the amount of smoking inside the building, We hope that these matter along with the Air-con in Hall ways
are dealt with, But many thanks to the staff who help us.

Room Tip: Don't use this Hotel if your a couple during the School Holidays the noise is terrible and you...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alicante - Playa de San Juan, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Brian D,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I am very pleased that you found our staff highly commendable.

However, please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience the condition of the hotel and the noise challenges may have caused you. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction.

Again, thank you for your time and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

John O
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Booked up for a last minute week abroad, found this hotel on trip advisor. Great hotel, 5 minutes walk to the beach at San Juan about 6km's from Alicante. Room spotless, food in hotel great. Staff brilliant. Pool spotless, certainly caters for families as well. It is one hotel I would certainly go back to out of this world

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for a room NOT above the pool, otherwise can't find fault in the slightest
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank alan Y
Est Sussex, England
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is the second time my wife and I have stayed here. Rooms are clean spacious but tired. Having said that for the price it is great value. Well serviced by Trams and Buses, a short walk to the beach and Playa de San Juan central. Don't expect international cuisine its all very Spanish. The sunbeds around the pool have a habit of collapsing. this can be quite hilarious when watching newcomers! However the are old and dangerous, the girl at reception assured me that they were being replaced shortly (trouble is they said that last year too).

Overall for the money cant beat it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple