“You only get what you pay for”

Goya Hotel de Alicante
Ranked #47 of 49 Hotels in Alicante
Lanchester, United Kingdom
“You only get what you pay for”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Found staff to be friendly and helpful. The hotel itself in much need of refurbishment. The room was small and bathroom tiny, with the toilet squashed into a small alcove area. Would not be ideal for larger proportioned people. The bath was just big enough to sit in with knees bent, but that was not a problem as no plugs provided. Therefore, a shower had to be taken, which was a slight problem as the shower head would not attach to the wall. Could only be used by holding it.
The mattress and linen were clean and bed reasonably comfortable. However, I checked the pillow and found that it did not have a pillow protector on, was badly stained and also torn with some of the stuffing hanging out. Having asked reception for a replacement, it was promptly done. In fact my husband and I ended up with 5 pillows between us!
We had breakfast included in the price. This consisted of bread sticks, croissants, ham, boiled eggs, jam, buns or cake, apples, juice and tea, coffee or chocolate. Not a bad selection, but often ran out of certain items. A lot of the time the receptionist was also covering the dining area, therefore it was necessary to go and ask her for replacements. Off putting for some people, and I noticed some clients leaving without breakfast.
Noise level high between rooms, even with normal conversation. Would not go back to this hotel. Will spend a little more money next time.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pat E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
New Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have stayed at the Goya before, about 9 years ago. At that time it was a similar scenario except that the breakfast was very good, included and also the underground car park was available free. I returned for a 1 night stopover and remembering the superb breakfast that we had (including huge croissants) which I was looking forward to. First, the car park was no longer free so I parked in the road. No real problem. Second, the restaurant was now run as a separate business, not as part of the hotel. It was no longer included and would have cost 4€ each but the minuscule selection available made me decide to go elsewhere for breakfast. Luckily, a few doors away was a cafe/bar serving a really nice breakfast for just a few Euros so that was quickly sorted too. The rooms do differ in different parts of the hotel, some as in their photos and some are much different. Previously, I stayed in a room identical to their photos but this time it was different but at least it was away from the road so no street noise as previously experienced. After all, it is in a busy city. As in most Spanish hotels, the walls are thin so occasional sounds from other residents can be heard but as a regular visitor to Spain, I am used to this. For one night the room was fine - certainly 2 star but very clean. The bed was really comfortable and I had a good night's sleep after a long journey arriving in the early hours. The bathroom had been recently refurbished and you could have thought that you was in a higher class hotel in there with all the usual complementaries. But only in the bathroom, the rest of the room and hotel were definately 2 star and no more. To sum up, for one night stay in a very clean room with a comfortable bed at a reasonable price, this is the place but don't expect too much. If passing through Alicante and needing a one night rest with no frills or luxury, I would stay here again but I think that one night is long enough. Location wise it suited me with many of the city interests, shopping centres and the seafront just a short drive away.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel with my Daughter on Saturday the 8th February 2014. The rooms are nothing like the ones shown on the photos; the photographs shown may have been a more true reflection of the Hotel; possibly if they were taken 30 years ago.
The walls of the Hotel are so thin that you can hear people speak as though they were sitting in the same room as you. We booked a twin room and ended up with a couple next door who; talked/had sex/talked/had sex- ALL night long. So yes I heard everything else like; the bin men, the people in the rooms above and below, other peoples TV's, the iron lift door clashing every time someone came out of the lift. You could even hear the noisy/dated plumbing system, every time someone went to the toilet or took a shower. I could not bring myself to have my daily shower in this hotel. At 5am, after we had made two complaints; and because of sheer exhaustion and desperation, we took our bed covers and our pillows (one meagre pillow each); to the terrible lounge area on the first floor and slept on the wicker sofa's. My daughter booked this Hotel for us and she felt responsible, but I realise it was not her fault as the photographs are very misleading. The only one redeeming feature of the stay was that we had clean sheets, but on a bed you can not sleep in they are not much use! The Hotel has a bad atmosphere, which is indescribable, this may be partially due to the type of clientele? After all there is a sex shop and a lap dancing club in this street!

Find an extra few Euro's- and stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: Don't do it
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sandra D

Travellers are raving about these Alicante hotels

Aarhus, Denmark
Reviewed 6 January 2014

It's hard to adequately review the Goya as it seems to be in a league of its own. Without any sarcasm (genuinely!) the high noise level, poor quality food but friendly staff actually really added to the trip. The restaurant is exceedingly bland but about as budget as it gets in the city, and some of the TV channels work.There was plastic in the salad, people screaming at 4am, sex noises from one of the rooms and no hot water - but it genuinely was so amusing our spirits were raised. Ultimately you do get what you pay for. Highly recommend if your plan for Alicanté is to go out drinking or argue in the hallways, if you can stomach those minor hiccups it's all worth it. The pillows are great too.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This was our second time in Alicante this year - and the first time I've managed to persuade my wife to stay in a 2 star hotel!
Our room (320) was perfectly adequate - a little dog eared perhaps and the bathroom was certainly on the small side but the shower was good and it was very clean.
The beds were comfortable but the pillows seemed to be filled with broken bricks and assorted rubble - but after a brandy (or 2!) in the hotel bar (only 2 euros) we slept like logs. The hotel is situated in a quiet area, we didn't hear any noise from outside at night or indeed from any other room.
Breakfast is a typically Spanish buffet - Toastadas, meats, cereals, fruit juice, tea / coffee and so on, well presented and more than good enough for the money.
The hotel is in a very good location for the Luceros tram station (a 4 min walk) making it easy to pop to Benidorm and/or Denia.
The pubic areas are kept in very good order - (the bar, restaurant, and reception area), and there is free wifi available. Staff are very pleasant and certainly hard working and deserve a pat on the back - from me at least!
I have noted some concerns about the road the hotel is situated on, but you don't have to use it, it's just as easy and quick to walk around the corner and walk down the main road, the only downside being the pedestrian crossings you have to wait for when the traffic is busy

Room Tip: We had 320 which is a twin room - which is bigger than the double room our friend had
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David M
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This Hotel is exactly what it states, Cheap and basic, the location was good, staff very helpful and friendly, Hotel was sometimes noisy at night when other guests came back to their rooms but this could happen at any hotel. Room was cleaned every day, bedding snow white as was towels, breakfast was ok and gave you a good start for the day, good location also for the tram station and the airport bus.

Room Tip: If you want 5 star service then you have to pay for it and this is not the hotel for you.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tracy W
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Rooms in Goya Hotel are appalling. We had to change it 2 times before we settle in one with a very noisy air conditioning on a balcony, which was connected to several rooms on the floor. Whenever guests from other rooms used it, we could not sleep. Also, the noise early in the morning from the street (rubbish collection?) were also terrible. Although, the towels were changed daily, they were grey in colour because of the age. One day we receive a clean towel with blood stain on it. We rarely touched anything, opened the wardrobe just to see how filthy it was. Altogether, I expected a 2 * hotel was a bit cleaner. You would not walk barefeet on the floors there. What I liked about the hotel: the location - near the centre of Alicante, beach about 25 min walking. There are quite a few restaurants nearby, which are very lovely. The breakfast was ok, basic but filling. I really liked the coffee there. The staff was helpful, although when we changed the room twice, the attitude of the staff changed a bit towards us. We were also awaken by a couple next door having sex as the walls are so thin. I would not recommend this hotel to anybody. Very dissapointed. It was a budget holidays. If you are on a tight budget you chose the right hotel. The beach was nice but crowded, but we made a few trips to Benidorm, La Isla Tabarca and a beach called San Juan (7km of beach) where it was much nicer. Very basic and tired hotel. Not clean enought. We had to make up going to nice places for the hotel. The holidays were lovely.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple