“A very nice surprise”

Don Carlos Alicante
Ranked #6 of 1,319 Restaurants in Alicante
Price range: US$24 - US$157
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Located in the heart of Alicante, next to the Rambla and Alfonso X the Wise, the restaurant Don Carlos pretends to be a different place, which seamlessly combine fine dining with a special atmosphere. Do not hesitate and have a drink with us, we are waiting!Situado en pleno corazón de Alicante, junto a la Rambla y Alfonso X el Sabio, el restaurante Don Carlos pretende ser un lugar diferente, en el que se combinen a la perfección la mejor gastronomía con un ambiente especial. No lo dudes y tómate algo con nosotros, ¡¡estamos esperándote!!
Stockholm, Sweden
“A very nice surprise”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We had the Tapas menu and we were pleased and well satisfied with the experience. The menu composed by the chef was a good combination of vegetarian and cold dishes as well as warm fish and meat dishes. Especially the the first tapa of tomato and chèvre was a pleasure. The food was matched with good wines. The chef, Jorge, is passioned about his food an very service-minded. Since beverages are included in the menu, the price-value ratio is good. Overall, a pleasure!

• Visited July 2014
Jorge J, Owner at Don Carlos Alicante, responded to this review, 2 January 2015
Dear customer,

Thank you very much for your review. I take this opportunity to wish you a happy new year for 2015.
We do and try to cater for everyone with the five course Tapas menu. That is why, it is really important that you mention at the beginning any food restrictions you may have in order to satisfy your needs, and make the menu as tailor made as possible.
We do endeavour to mix cold and warm dishes, meat and fish so that the customer has an idea of what to expect in Don Carlos, all this of course is matched with some wine or beer depending on the choice of everyone.
We really hope to welcome you soon in Don Carlos.

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Gran Alacant, Spain
“Double Wow!!!!!!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Last Wednesday 16th July I had lunch at Don Carlos Tapas Bar and while there I reserved a place for lunch in Celeste for Wednesday 23rd, so this review covers both occasions.

Don Carlos Tapas Bar 16th July
Sweet tomato with goat’s cheese terrine – very rich and flavourful, absolutely lovely, probably too big a serving for one person but I was greedy.
Duck and apple croquettes – again the flavours were lovely and not too rich, well balanced, quite light and very nice indeed. You could eat a lot of these......
Bream tartare – I thought it would be difficult to top the first two dishes but this just managed to. Fresh, light, a very well put together dish especially on a hot day, I loved it.
No room for dessert I’m afraid, will remedy that next time.
Three excellent dishes which I’d gladly have again. I also think this is a bit of a bargain given the quality.

Restaurant Celeste 23rd July
My descriptions will not do the dishes justice so I apologise in advance.
Terrine of Foie & Pear matched with Sauternes
Poached egg in an Asparagus Volute matched with Verdejo
Sea Bass on puff pastry with prawns and onions in squid ink matched with Albarino
Duck on a base of crushed potato and mushrooms with a chocolate sauce & a cup of potato cream matched with Rioja
Three desserts (sorry I forget what they were) matched with Cava.
I have to say this lunch was just wonderful. Each dish was just a treat and the chosen wines were a perfect match each time.
I was well looked after by Chef Jorge and his team from start to finish. Dining in Celeste is not cheap but nor should it be for the quality and obvious effort that goes into the whole experience, for me this was indeed value for money. I’d also mention that the same care and attention given to the dishes served in Celeste is also given to the dishes I had in the tapas bar.
These guys have a real passion for what they do and it comes through in everything they do. An added bonus was that Celeste had a lovely relaxed feel not stuffy or formal at all. Second added bonus is that Jorge speaks English better than I do (as does the lady on front of house, sorry but I forget her name).
I am only annoyed that I left it so long to try this restaurant as it has been on my list for some time.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank JimFul
Jorge J, Owner at Don Carlos Alicante, responded to this review, 2 January 2015
Dear Jim,

Thank you so much for you review. We also take this opportunity to wish you all the best for 2015.
As you rightly explained, our restaurant is divided in two sections: Don Carlos & Celeste.
Don Carlos is relaxed, friendly and informal atmosphere where one can enjoy tapas with a different twist to them. The five course menu is a good option as it enables you to get a feel for what we do, both on and off the menu, and therefore gives the kitchen some room for creativity. Some examples are the duck and apple croquettes, which are slightly different to the usual ham ones.
Celeste is completely different. It is our fine dining section. It has no menu, and one reserves on the premise that it will be surprised. The chef will cater according to the customer's food restrictions, which makes it all the more special, tailoring it to his needs "sur mesure".
I am extremely happy that you had an enjoyable experience both in Don Carlos and Celeste. Our hope is that you will carry on visiting us, and that we can continue surprising you.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Amazing dish(es)”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We travel extensively and being in the wine business we have experienced some of the finest cuisines throughout Europe and America. I was pleasantly surprised to find the traditional rice dish served in Alicante, which I think of as paella, to be the best served to us in this region. Moist, flavorful, and hearty portions! But the real treat was the tomato-goat cheese appetizer similar to tomato aspic only a hundred times better. It was like a symphony in my mouth--I couldn't get enough of it. It's tempting to go back to Alicante just to experience this exceptional and unusual starter.

• Visited June 2014
Jorge J, Propietario at Don Carlos Alicante, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear customer
Thank you so much for your review and kind words.
We take pride in what we do, and deliver tapas with a different twist to them. The goat's cheese and tomato terrine is one of them. We also have duck and apple croquettes, which are not the typical croquettes you find in town. Our aim is to deliver good quality food with different ingredients.
We hope to welcome you again very soon in Don Carlos.

Alicante, Spain
“They take pride in everything they serve.”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I were so lucky to stumble upon Don Carlos & Celeste tonight after walking out of a restaurant in the tourist area which had served us old food. We had stopped in for just a glass of wine but decided to try the food anyhow. Wow were we glad that we did. My husband lived in Spain for 2 years and he swears that the Spanish tortilla with truffle was the BEST tortilla he has ever had. It takes a few minutes, but it is SO worth it because they make it completely from scratch when you order it so it's completely fresh. We also tried the apple croquettes which sounded adventurous but turned out to be fantastic.

Not only was it a good meal, it was creative, and made with quality ingredients by people who absolutely take pride in what they do. They respect their customers and they respect the food they present. We were so pleased to find a place that serves good quality food. The wine was awesome too. I had two different local wines which were both absolutely wonderful. If you come anywhere near Alicante, you have to visit here and try the Foie gras with pears and wine...it's unbelievable. We talked to the chef and he said that it won two awards...well it certainly deserved it, it was really incredible.

Seriously, go to this restaurant/ wine bar everything is gourmet quality (even the bread and olive oil where exceptional!)

• Visited June 2014
Dear Katie

Thank you so much for your kind words. We take pride in deliver the best possible service, and food, and more importantly make tourists feel at ease in our restaurant.
It is sometimes really hard to know where to eat when you travel, the language barrier often makes things harder and akward, and as travellers ourselves, we know how important is is for a tourist to feel listened, loved and treated to some extent as if it was a local when it is abroad.
We wish you all the best for the future, and we hope to welcome again you soon in our restaurant.

Best
Jorge Jurado
“Good effort at gastro Tapas”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Went for the special set menu which started off brilliantly with fresh bread, olive oil from the region and an interesting and delicious play on a basil, mozzarella and tomato salad (if not a little too sweet for my liking). This was swiftly followed by duck/apple croquetas which were lovely and a potatoes and chorizo plate. The dinner had started well, however from here on in, with expectations high the mains/deserts failed to deliver full promise. The fish combo dish was way too salty and a bit bland, the pork was nice but not a sensation & the puddings were okay. Service was friendly & it wasn't too expensive but I wouldn't return.

Visited June 2014
Dear customer

Thank you for your comments. We take our reviews very seriously, and we appreciate your honesty. Constructive criticism is always the best way to improve.
We regret that you the latter part of the set menu did not meet with your requirements. We hope that even though you said that you would not return to our restaurant, you would nevertheless change your mind, and try some other dishes of our menu, which would win you over.
All the best,