“High standards at a great price”
Review of Abba Centrum Hotel

Abba Centrum Hotel
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Alicante
“High standards at a great price”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in Alicante at the Abba hotel and were very pleasantly surprised at the standard of this hotel.
It is a 4 star hotel at less than 4 star prices. The room was spacious, extremely clean, quite and serviced daily. The hotel is abut a 10 minute walk from the beach and is very close to all of the amenities on the town (train station, shopping centre, promenade) and has a supermarket straight across the road.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and all spoke English.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed in a standard room for 3 nights in late April for about 65 EUR a night. The hotel had everything I needed. The room layout was like a small studio - couch and TV on one side, then a counter and refrigerator, then the bed, and finally a good-sized, well-lit, functional desk/workspace. (Oh, and of course the bathroom, separated a bit from the main area/over by the door.) Everything was sleek, clean, modern, and functional - although maybe a bit minimalist for those whose tastes run to opulence and soft edges.

Having the Mercadona across the street and El Corte Ingles close by was very convenient (I confess - I had to remove some of the copious quantity of mineral water bottles from the refrigerator to store my perishables, but no one seemed to mind.). The train station and Luceros underground station are within ten minutes walk, as is the Downtown Bus Station at Muelle de Poniente, where you can get the C-6 bus for the airport for 2.7 EUR.

I had noted when I booked that premium internet (wired and wifi) was available for a surcharge, and I expected to have to use it as I was working on the road and needed to use voip and - briefly - web conferencing. However, I found the free wired (cable) internet was so fast and stable I didn't need to upgrade. There was also a free version of wifi which seemed a bit slower, but still functional for browsing, etc. This was my first experience with the Abba chain and I'm happy to have discovered them. I don't have plans to return to Alicante anytime soon, but I'll be elsewhere in Spain this fall and will definitely be looking at staying at other Abba hotels on that trip.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LeavingSanFrancisco
Dublin
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This is a reasonably priced hotel some ten mins walk from the old town. Staff members are knowledgeable and friendly. Standard rooms are spacious and have plenty of room around the bed. Each room contains a two seater sofa, a counter, minbar, a writing desk and an ensuite bathroom (shower over bath, good water pressure). The bathroom lacks panache but is clean. The rooms have a wooden floor, again very clean. Breakfast varies daily and offers a great selection of juice, cereal, fruit, yoghurt, local cheese, cured cold meats, hot bacon, sausage and a few hot egg dishes. It has a good self serve coffee machine and the room has space inside and outside. We got a good online deal which included breakfast. The free wifi is slow but the 'premium' wifi is available for 15 Euro extra for a week but 9 Euro per day. The premium can stream live TV but buffering is an issue. The TV has one English channel CNN news. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keelybubs
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 24 July 2013

If you want to see how bad service works, book a trip to this hotel!

Was surprised by the positive reviews below of this hotel, as I thought it was very disappointing.
I travel a lot around the world and I've visited many 4 stars hotels but never in my life I've seen so bad service from the staff as we did here!

I was literally kicked off from the hotel after confirming my 3rd night, since the staff forgot to book the room for me. I am an spanish mother language speaker, so I've made it very clear I need to stay one more night, but they dismiss my request without reason.

Don't ask for a fork and knife as "the hotel policy" don't allow to send this kind of utensils to your room.

I've rated it poor because for a four star hotel it is nowhere near the standard of other 4 star hotels.

Positive Points:
- Location, you are in the heart of Alicante, 5 minutes walking distance to the promenade, 15' to the beach and 10 minutes to El Corte Ingles (department stores). Very near 5' driving to the RENFE-AVE train station and about 20-25 minutes driving from the airport.
- There is free (but very slow) WiFi (you cannot use Skype with this connection)
- Mercadona supermarket, coffee shop (where you can have a nice breakfast, coffee + pastry or sandwich, for €2.5) across the street.
- There is a restaurant at the hotel or you can have room service. But you can always get better and cheaper food in any of the restaurants around the hotel.

Negative points:
- Really Bad Service.
- Overpriced parking (€12 per night) when you can park on the streets for free between 10 pm and 9 am. Or in the parking besides the hotel at € 5 per night.
- Beds were extremely hard for spanish standards.
- There is no iron in the room and they do not provide one if you ask. Only laundry/ironing service, they charge about €7 for a shirt.
- No pool, which I knew. Hoped to use steam room, sauna and gym, but there were under renovation. Only the solarium in the rooftop was available.

I would definitely not stay here again, there are lots of three-four star hotels much better than this one.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank jltdf
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed for four nights. Nice, clean room. Service was great, friendly and helpfull, everyone spoke english and even french!! Everything we hoped for we got it. Didnt have breakfast cos it was little bit pricey, didnt need one cos there were plenty of places to eat nearby. Supermarket and fruitshop across the street. 2€/beer in hotel bar :)

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank amppu
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed at abba centrum in alicante for my partners birthday. We booked a room for a week. I asked if it was possible to have a room on a higher floor and got the email back saying that yes we can. When we arrived we got the room on the 4th floor, hotel is 8 floors so we were little disappointed. It didnt bother us much but it would be nicer. The lady who checked us in was really nice and helpful and that was the only person in the whole hotel that treated us nice. The maid was terrible and we daunted she changed our sheets every day. On the last day she was so not bothered that she left the bin right near the front door for us to trip over it. When we asked for a late check out we've been told to ask on the day because they might be busy. That doesn't make any sen e and it didnt suit us at all as we needed to plan journey home. Fortunately we asked someone else and managed to sort it out. Breakfast was really nice although expensive. We shared one which wasn't so bad.
No pool, which we knew but hoped to use steam room, sauna and gym, the condition of the steam room was very poor damp patches everywhere, very dirty. Gym only had 2 facilities which was really not much.
Location on the other hand was absolutely superb!
Would recommend alicante itself but not the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Gyalann
Essex
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Can't fault this hotel. Modern, clean, plush, friendly staff, good size rooms. Everything was as expected from this "Rated number 1" hotel in Alicante. Quite handy that there's a supermarket just across the street. Fantastic location, as it's a 5 minute walk to the promenade and restaurants, 10 minute stroll to the beach. Would definitely stay here again. Couldn't rate swimming pool or children's activities as we never used them.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family