“Worst resort in Goa”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Colva
Bangalore
“Worst resort in Goa”
Reviewed 9 November 2008

This resort is a case study for how a resort should NOT be run.

The staff here seems to take guests for granted and do not have the faintest idea of what the phrase "customer service" means.

We were a group of 4 couples and all of felt the resotr really sucked. The rooms we got initially were really bad, the Air Conditioning wouldnt work etc. After much haggling and negotiation, the staff agreed to move us to a better room. The new room looked a bit more similar to the photographs on the website, the first room we got was a run down dump.

But once we got a room which was actually airconditioned, we fugured that they dont provide guests the ability to regulate temperature!! They have slit Air Conditioners, with just one remote control for the whole property!! Since room service was so pathetic, the only solution was to turn off the AC when we felt cold!! And no options, if you felt warm....

The "rules" they have are even worse. If you ask for an extra bath towel, the rude guy that runs housekeeping tells you "You already got a towel today, now you'll get your next one tomorrow." I tried reasoning that I had made the mistake of going to the pool and so needed a towel. He wouldnt budge. I thought of using the bedsheets or curtains instead.. :) But finally, I howled enough at the guy, so he "kindly' granted me an extra towel.

The overall experience was worse than terrible. I think the service would probably be better in a highway motel or a local lodge. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the best, I would rate them Minus 20.

• Liked — The location was good, but that seems like chance. The owner of the resort seems to have some fiendish plan to redue Goa's popularity on the tourist map
  • Disliked — I dont want to sound prejudiced at just one thinsg - Just about everything about the resort was pathetic!!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank TrippingMonk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Mumbai, India
Reviewed 4 November 2008

Hi, we had been to this resort around 6 months back and we really like this location, people visiting Goa are definitely one to hit the beach the moment they land there, so this one is ideal, its bang on the beach besides offers complete privacy to gaze around from thier room balconies onto the beach or the neat tea garden ( I call it so cos we hung around there every evening for snacks and tea etc). Though the food might not be much to rave about, but its good. They have a live band playing folk music and all in the evening for guests. Or you may just boogey on the music djs playing on the beach in the evenings. Resort is tastefully done with a small fish pond kind of thing and lots of fruit trees :). Overall reasonable and moneys worth.

• Liked — The location and the ambience
  • Disliked — The food wasnt great
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank jasmayin
pune
Reviewed 14 June 2008

Location is perfect, right on beach, but I think they have lost interest in hosting guests. In my 4 day stay, nobody asked me how I was doing, On arrival no one was there at reception, while leaving they didn’t bother to say bye. For complimentary wine bottle I had to ask them. One young person at reception is horrible, he does not have any courtesy, for anything you ask him he will go in and ask and come. I am a veggie, the food was average, the restaurant was full of flies. Overall the staff is not at all proactive. My room ac didn't work for one whole night. They really don't care. If you want to have great time, don't go to this hotel.

• Liked — beach view
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank nick_2476
Gloucester
Reviewed 18 February 2008

It was our first visit to India and we didn't know what to expect. The first 2 days, there were no top sheets on our bed, not knowing any different, we thought that maybe this was the norm. However, on the third day we were given top sheets. The beds were very uncomfortable, a very thin mattress (not sprung) was placed on a wooden board, they were very very hard, and we both felt very sore in the mornings when we got up. The pillows (one each) were no better, very very hard. The towels were replaced daily, but were laundered so badly that they were covered in dirty marks, they really made us feel dirty.

The standard of cleanliness in the room and the restaurant left a lot to be desired. The mirrors and windows were smeared with dirty marks, the doors were covered with dirty finger prints, probably been there for the last 20 years. The toilet had disinfectant put into it daily, but it was never wiped over, I had to do that myself with my wet wipes. I asked for our bath mat to be replaced as it was very dirty, but the replacement bath mat was dirtier than the original one - I think I gave up at this point !!!

One night our bathroom was invaded by some very large reddish-brown flying insects - not a problem - my partner killed them all. Next day however, at least 3 of them still remained on the bathroom floor and were still there when we left !!!

We soon learnt that the room would only be "cleaned" if before we went out, we found the cleaner and left the room key with him, otherwise it was not done, as apparently there was only one key to each room.

The window sills in the restaurant hadn't seen a duster for many years it would appear, and although we never saw them we had to question the cleanliness of the kitchens! The tablecloths weren't changed during the 2 weeks we were there and were covered in all sorts of stains, although for the evening meal, a smaller clean cloth was placed on top. Consequently, although we had paid for half board, we ate most days in the beach shacks, where the staff were very pleasant and obliging and were definitely cleaner.

Breakfast consisted of toast, jam, eggs (mostly scrambled), cornflakes which were pretty soft, I guess stale, melon, and an Indian dish. There was water, tea or coffee, no fruit juice. The tea we tried tasted like cocoa. The evening meals just didn't appeal to us, they looked awful, and on the occasions that we tried them, they tasted worse.

There was a TV in the room, but there were no chairs, and in the wardrobe only one single drawer between the 2 of us, so we had to leave all our folded clothes in our cases. On the terrace, as we had a ground floor room, there were 2 plastic chairs, but no table. Our room was very sparse.

When I tried to settle the bill for room service at the end of the holiday, they would not accept my bank (visa) debit card, so I had to settle the account with a credit card Paying a 2% surcharge.

I became sick after 4 days and was very poorly for a further 3 days with diarrhoea and vomiting, also a very high temperature. I recovered, but then my partner became sick and was still suffereing a week after we returned home.

The hotel put most effort into their other functions, ie weddings, birthdays, and conferences etc. During our stay, there was a 4 day conference, during which time the attendees virtually took over the hotel leaving few seats and tables to the othert guests.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jdhending

Travellers are raving about these Colva hotels

UK
Reviewed 10 February 2008

Its not often i'll make a point of reviewing a resort but I really felt compelled to do so in this case.

We spent 5 nights at this resort in early Feb and it was a nightmare. This resort was a big dissapointment and the list of issues it has are large.

Service - rude receptionists, incredible slow response to requests, generally unhelpful.

Cleanliness - the grounds are OK but the rooms are not clean. They get a quick once over each day by the cleaners but that is all. The bathroom was very dirty and there was mould on the walls. The door looked like no one had cleaned it since the 70's! We also had cockroach in the rooms on the first night. Twice they cleaned the room but forgot to put covers back on the bed after

Beds - may as well sleep on the ground. They are basically wooden beds with no springs and a thin, old grotty matress on top. Very uncomfortable. Unless you ask them we got a wool blanket to sleep under instead of sheets! Nice (not!)

TV - did not work

Aircon - too noisy to use at night so we used a fan instead

Pool - the pool was dirty. I went in it once all holiday. Looked like no one goes round cleaning the edges as it was very grotty. sunloungers were probably still the originals from the 1970's and there was no shade.

Breakfast - appauling. Cold Omelette, cornflakes and hard toast. There was no fresh fruit or juices and no chance of basic extras (like sausage or bacon). It was an appauling breakfast. After the first day we went to the beach shacks to eat. I noticed some people ordering breakfast extras off a menu there, perhaps this is a ploy of the resort?

Noise - this resort seems to specialise in conventions and weddings! We had a 5 day works convention there, a wedding and a birthday party. Each had a huge party and music at night and kept us awake until the early hours. The works people were rude and they even used our balcony to work on! They stared at my wife when she lay by the pool. We complained about this an got no help from the staff at all.

Staff - some of the staff were nice but some were downright creeps. One of them was caught trying to video my wife on his mobile phone when she was sunbathing and got a right telling off. I heard of another spying on someone in the shower (unconfirmed).

As I said I normally would not review somewhere but I was so annoyed by this place I felt I had to warn people. We are experienced travellers around the world and in particular Asia. We have never had an experience like this before and for a resort charging a pretty hefty price and a reasonable reputation it was shocking. I would understand if we were paying bargain basement prices but we were not. This was meant to be one of the nicer places in the area.

Unfortunately it gave the town of Colva a bad name. Its a shame as we really liked Colva, the beach is superb, there are many nice places to eat out and in general people were very nice to us. I would recommend the area but not this resort.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank ultimateangling
Wrexham
Reviewed 17 January 2008

My wife and I arrived at the hotel on 23rd December 2007 and stayed for 14 nights on a half board basis. The breakfast consisted of a different type of egg dish every day and toast, which was normally hard because it had been pre-cooked for speed of service, luke warm tea or coffee or some sort of curry dish with bread. We only tried the buffet one night and the 'hot food' was nearly cold. As we stood at the buffet table a large insect landed in a dish of what looked like coleslaw and proceeded to bathe in it, I called the waiter's attention to it just as it took flight, he picked up a spoon thrust it into the bowl trying to locate the bug, but as it had flown off he was unable to locate it so he stirred the contents of the bowl and walked off leaving the delicacy for the next unsuspecting diner.

We booked through an online travel agent, but over the telephone, we were given what they called a standard room for the first night, I would call it less than basic although it had A/C. It did not have any hot water until we complained, I was told somebody had forgot to switch on the immersion. The next morning we paid an extra 300 Rupees per night for the following 13 nights to upgrade to a 'superior deluxe' room, which I would call a standard room. Settled in our 'superior deluxe' room we decided to have an early night as we could not get to sleep in the original sub-standard room. It was 1030PM, the band struck up for the first of 10 wedding, anniversary or birthday parties that took place over the fortnight of our stay. Down to reception in the morning to try and get a different room as far away from the noise as possible, they did not have one for 4 nights after which we managed to secure the best room in the hotel, 'a suite' for 5 nights at a further cost of 200 Rupees per night. We enjoyed the first 3 nights even though the water was still cold and then we were told that we could not have the last 2 nights we had paid for the 'suite' as somebody else had booked it but they would refund me the 2 times 200 Rupees that I had paid, I was annoyed. As soon as we had moved back into a 'superior deluxe' room which was once again above the function lawn the band begins to play until the early hours of the morning.

To sum it up the hotel is only interested in taking money from its paying guests and not in its customer service. Weddings and parties take precedent above all else and the manageress is in my opinion incompetant given my own experience and listening to other guests, Indians included, complaining about the service they have or have not received.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — staying there
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank JOKWrexham
london
Reviewed 9 January 2008

This hotel was recommended by Lonely Planet. We stayed here just after Christmas - the 'fourth season' when rates are 8 times the normal price. Despite coming armed with an email that confirmed we had paid for the room in advance and in full, the hotel reception rang our room incessantly till 11.30pm, then from 8.00am in the morning, claiming they hadn't been paid, then when we tried to speak to the manager, she was 'busy' - but only until we walked out - then miraculously she was free. After she had been rude to us, and rang various people blaming them for this, that and the other, she finally checked her records again and realised her mistake. There was no apology to us. Every evening the restaurant was taken over by wedding receptions with appalling wedding bands that deafened the entire resort until 1.00am in the morning. Reception was constantly crowded with people complaining. Threatening lists of 'rules' on the walls told you what you weren't allowed to do and the penalties if you did (impounding luggage etc.). Definitely the worst hotel service I have ever experienced (in years of travelling!).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank johndorey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colva
Baywatch Beach Resort
Taj Exotica Goa
Taj Exotica Goa
#1 of 14 in Benaulim
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,902 reviews

Been to Longuinhos Beach Resort? Share your experiences!