“Turned Away”
Review of Fortfield Farm

Fortfield Farm
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kilrush
Fortfield Farm
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We had a reservation for staying at Fortfield Farm on 3/31/13-4/1/13. After a long international flight, this was our first overnight reservation. We had driven a long way from Shannon, via Cliffs of Moher way to arrive at Fortfield around 5pm. We were excited to locate the property, and it's set in an idyllic countryside. We parked the rental car and rang the doorbell. We noticed a few cars in the parking lot, and when the door opened, we could hear happy chatter and movement. The woman answering the door closed it behind her and stepped on to the porch. She told us she had to cancel our reservation because her mother who runs the bed and breakfast was ill, and she wouldn't want us to catch it. I'm sure you can imagine our disappointment at this moment where we were already exhausted. The woman recommended Hillcrest View Bed & Breakfast, and said she had called to make sure there was availability. We are grateful for this kindness, and hope her mother felt better soon after.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SarahCR8
There are newer reviews for Fortfield Farm

Reviewed 24 September 2012

The hostess here served us with warm scones and tea the evening we arrived. Our room was small, but tastefully decorated. We loved the long front room, where one can relax, looking out over beautiful scenery. These people are warm and friendly, and we would stay here again!

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 90joyful100
Reviewed 26 June 2012

My husband & I spent the night of 3jun12 w/Bride & Sean after a VERY wet & windy trip to the cliffs. I was literally soaked to the skin & miserable upon discovering there are no coin op laundries to be had in Ireland. We already had yesterdays soaked clothes, & only 1 pants ea/ left for another week. She dried & pressed our clothes for us & warmed us up in the solarium w/tea & scones. We had a lovely dinner at her suggestion (Kelly's - Kilrush) & caught the ferry the next am using schedules they kept on hand. They were a quiet, comfortable re-charge on a long, rainy drive day w/the most traditional "Irish Fry" of any of the B&B's we stayed in. We would return...

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kmcubed
Reviewed 3 September 2011

The proprietors were kind and welcoming, especially to our 5-year-old, whom they offered the chance to milk a cow. It was also fun to see the calves, barn cats and horse.

A second bed had been set up for our child, so the bedroom was a little cramped. Good shower and excellent breakfast. The guest house has been run for more than 25 years and the proprietors are great at making you feel at home.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank S2ckholm
Reviewed 19 April 2011

I booked one night at the Fortfield Farm for my 9 year old daughter and I. I thought it would be neat for her to stay on a farm. We had done the Ring of Kerry that day and had taken the car ferry across the Shannon estuary. Fortfield Farm is not very far at all from the ferry and they are situated at the end of a long road on the top of a beautiful hill. We arrived 7:30 pm or so but Brid was so welcoming. She is a lovely lady - very friendly and gracious. She was very helpful with restaurant recommendations, etc. We were given the room on the 2nd floor that overlooked the beautiful fields in the front of the house. I think I might have had my best night's sleep there out of 7 nights in Ireland (spending one night at each stop). In the morning, she prepared a wonderful breakfast for us and was very attentive to our needs. We were able to see the dairy cows being milked which was a very interesting experience. She told all about the farm, their livestock and horses and we visited many many calves in the barns - some days old, some weeks and some a few months. She is very proud of her family and her heritage and it shows. I highly recommend a stay at Fortfield Farm.

Donna and Lauren

• Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank dcwoodley
Reviewed 7 June 2009

Our visit to Fortfield Farm was one of the true hightlights to our visit to Ireland. Brid and Sean Cunningham gave us a very warm welcome as they do with all of the guests. We were greeted with Irish scones, homemade jam and many cups of tea!

Staying on a dairy farm gave you a true appreciation of the hard work that the family performs on a daily basis along with giving the guests staying at Fortfield wonderful service. Sean and Brid are more than happy to immerse the guests into events on the farm such as stopping the traffic to let the cows cross the road or to help milking the cows, seeing foals being born, not something you would see on a daily basis.

Fortfield is a good location if you are planning on taking the Ferry to Kerry or coming of the Ferry from Kerry. The Ferry really does save a lot of time to get to the Ring of Kerry. It also is convenient to get to Shannon Airport it took us about 30 minutes and really is a great place to experience.

We are so glad that we picked Fortfield Farm as a location to stay. When we left the Cunningham's we felt that we had experienced a true Irish welcome and the friendliness that we would associate with the people of Ireland.

Brid would never let you leave without a truly delicious traditional Irish breakfast!

We would highly recommend Fortfield Farm as a location to experience real Irish life.

Thanks Brid and Sean for a wonderful visit.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank duffyky
Reviewed 25 May 2009

We arrived to Fortfield Farm on the 2nd last night of our trip, we saw it advertised coming off the Ferry boat from Co. Kerry and we thought it would be nice to stay on a working dairy farm.

And how right we were!

The house was literally 3 minutes from the ferry boat. It was located at the top of a hill and the view was spectacular. The hostess Brid (Breed) was so welcoming! She was just after baking some Irish Scones and Apple Pie (or Tart as Brid called it) We relaxed in the conservatory over looking the river Shannon and helped ourselved to a tray laid out with Homemade jam, scones, tea and tart. Heaven!
Our room was so awesome, Double and a single bed, wardrobe, bathroom. The bed was the most comfortable bed we had slept in. The room had a real country feel to it.

Later on that evening, Brids husband Sean showed me how to milk a cow. I was so scared and excited at the same time. My husband got some awesome shots on the camera. Although I enjoyed it, farming will never become a full time job for me!!

After that Brid recommended a lovely restaurant in the nearby town, Kilrush. Kellys Steakhouse and Seafood Bar. Lovely meal and friendly staff. The owner was from New Jersey so we had a great chat with her (thats where we are from)

Brid offered us even more tea when we got back to the b&b. We were too full, but looking forward to the breakfast already. She sat down and chatted with us for a good while. My husband has ancestors in Co. Clare so they had a great chat.
Fun fact! Fortfield Farm got its name because theres a fairy fort in one of their fields, how cool! We

The breakfast the next morning was great. I had bacon and eggs and Rob had the Traditional Irish breakfast. We didn't want to leave that morning so we decided to stay for our final night.
That day we went on a day trip which Brid recommended, which consisted of cliffs, castles and dolphin watching. It was definetly the best day of our vacation. West Clare is wonderful. I felt so at home.

I know one thing for sure, we will be making a return visit to stay at Fortfield Farm for longer.

Judy & Rob

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Judy110Nj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilrush
Stella Maris Hotel
#1 of 5 in Kilkee
Buggle's Bed and Breakfast
Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Doonbeg
Hillcrest View Bed and Breakfast

Been to Fortfield Farm? Share your experiences!