“1 night stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thorpe le Soken
South
“1 night stay”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed at the Life House for 1 nights an a dinner, bed and breakfast deal including a treatment.

The spa is set in beautiful grounds.

Check in was swift and easy. We were shown to our room. We had a beautiful room with a view across the garden. However the key card did not work, but a maintenance guy came up with in 5 minutes to rectify the problem. There was a tiny window on the side wall of the bedroom that has no use at all. Why? The bright daylight woke us up very early in the morning. Used a cushion to block out the light.

Our treatments were excellent. Ask for Lilly.

Dinner was also included. The restaurant was not very busy. We were kept waiting at the entrance for around 4 minutes before being shown to our table. The specials were explained to us and our drinks order was taken, a bottle of wine and a jug of iced water. The bottle of wine arrived after a wait of some 10 minutes. The water did not appear at all and I had to ask again for it.

The food was good, however the chicken breast on the menu was described as stuffed. When the dish came it was a sliced breast. On asking why it was different from the menu I was informed by the waiter that he did not know, but that it was indeed the same as the menu but just not stuffed.

When the sweet arrived I had to ask for cutlery, I was bought a fork and a soup spoon.

Overall experience was good but a little more attention to detail in the restaurant would have made it great

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SJNN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have just returned from an overnight spa break at The Lifehouse for my husband's birthday. The spa was recommended to me by a friend.
Our overall experience was really good and I would say better than other venues I have recently visited including Champneys Springs and the more local, Clarice House. Rooms are clean, modern and fresh; the gardens are beautiful and well maintained; pool and spa facilities were clean and not overcrowded; spa treatments very well organised, informed therapists and extremely relaxing.
My only disappointments relate to check out and I appreciate these are my personal experiences and not applicable to everyone but thought I would share.

1. Our treatments were booked between 10.00am and 11.50am. We returned promptly to our room to collect our bags and change. Between 12.00 and 12.08 we received 3 phone calls to remind us that we needed to check out. This was a bit frustrating.

2. On checkout I was presented with a bill that included the additional treatments I had booked and paid for at the time of making the reservation. After a few phone calls between the spa and hotel receptions and having to dig out my confirmation the team worked out that it had been prepaid. Unfortunately at this point my husband was now aware of the cost of the break.

My main suggestion would be to make check in at 12noon on the day of arrival. 3pm check in and 12noon check out feels a little rushed for an overnight stay. I appreciate you can use the facilities until 3pm but once checked out we were less inclined to do so.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amy P
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed here for a 2-night spa break mid-week (on a Weds & Thurs night). The room was nice, the facilities were good and overall we felt very relaxed. The room where breakfast and dinner are served is a little bit loud and crashing (metal chairs and a hard floor, lots of echoing and noise) which doesn't really go along with the calming spa environment.
We also had a couples massage which was really mediocre, and which I would not recommend. If you're looking to spend a day or two lounging near the pool and in the sauna/steam rooms, this is a great option.
Note, when we checked out, on Friday afternoon, *two* hen or birthday parties were checking in, and based on the shrieking and general noise and chaos they made in the lobby I can imagine that it may have been much less relaxing and quiet to be there that weekend. If you're really after peace and quiet mid-week might be a better bet.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Had an overnight stay at Lifehouse Spa with a group of girlfriends to celebrate a special birthday. We had a wonderful time. All the staff were very professional and friendly. Everywhere was spotlessly clean. Each of us had treatments with absolutely no negative comments at all - quite an achievement as we can be a picky bunch! The special offer we found on their website proved good value for money - worth keeping an eye out for similar offers. Will definitely be recommending Lifehouse Spa to all my friends.
A special thankyou to the restaurant staff for the decorated table and birthday cake!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my time here – I opted for the Detox Express package over two nights/three days and even though it was a fairly short stay, I really reaped the benefits. The food wasn't nearly as austere as I'd feared – in fact, the fish on the last day was absolutely delicious and fairly indulgent – and the fresh juices and smoothies available were amazing, especially the Banana Split, which was like a meal in itself.

The grounds of the property are delightful and I took part in a country walk one afternoon, hosted by one of the incredibly knowledgeable gym staff, who was keen to point out all the different kind of flora growing there.
I also did a yoga and a toning class, both expertly run.
 Part of the package involves doing some spa treatments: the body wrap smoothed away any imperfections and the reflexology was incredibly relaxing, so much so in fact, that I had trouble staying awake! The therapist was absolutely spot-on when she diagnosed me as having digestive problems.

And that brings me to the highlight of my stay: the staff were absolutely lovely, super-friendly and extremely helpful – the lovely Valerio from Sicily even carried my case down the steps to the train station when it came time to leave! I can't finish this review without mentioning Sue, the resident naturopath – a fascinating lady who talked me through the ins and outs of the programme and helped me gain a better understanding of the detox process.

All in all, I'd highly recommend this for a spa break – just over an hour outside London, so easy to access into the bargain.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Colette326
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This place is massively let down by its most senior staff. Waiters, cleaners and massage therapists were excellent. Spa manager and other senior staff were rude and spoilt our stay. They made numerous errors including booking our treatments at the wrong times, getting our names wrong and over charging us for treatments (4 pedicures in two days and an extra back massage totalling over £200). There was no apology offered for any of the mistakes and it always felt like they were blaming us. Who on earth would actually have 4 pedicures in 2 days? Booked an express facial on promotional offer and when we turned up for this we found out it was in the busy reception area rather than a treatment room. We mentioned to the spa manager that we felt this was inappropriate and that this would spoil what was meant to be a relaxing treatment. His reply was 'its not meant to be relaxing its a promotion'. This did leave us wondering how we ought to be feeling during the treatment - stressed, anxious, uncomfortable?? Room was average (kind of like a slightly better premier inn), food was good. Classes and treatments were overbooked. Pool was tiny - any more than 3 people doing lengths and you're all bumping into each other. I wouldn't go here again - god knows how they ever got a 4 star rating - it certainly is not backed up by their customer service ethos. We felt generally unwelcome. Some staff were great - Louise on reception we met as we were leaving - if we could have dealt with her throughout I'd be giving a 5 star rating. Spa manager needs to get a different job - preferably without contact with humans....or animals. Juices here are priced at £4.50 - don't buy one, I nearly puked trying to get it down. All pretty disappointing.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
4 Thank Anna T
Kelvedon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I am very surprised after just reading recent negative review concerning the Lifehouse Spa that I have just been to the same place! A friend and I went for the first time taking the 'Love Life' offer which includes room, breakfast, 2course dinner, and a choice of treatments.....not a large choice admittedly unless we paid ..... but the facial I had was bliss. Full use of pool, sauna, steam room and gym if you so desired was also available. When we got there we took the car to the drop-off point so didn't have to take cases from the car park which is no distance anyway even if we had to do that. The receptionist offered to park the car for us which he did. When we left we were also offered the choice of the car being collected but after checking out of the room we were going for a walk around the beautiful grounds so chose to collect the car ourselves. Although we checked out at 11.00 a.m. we weren't hurried off the premises but explored the area and then went back for a coffee before leaving. Unfortunately on the first day when we got to our room it was a double and we had requested a twin room however this was changed for us very easily and we ended up in a ground floor garden room in the Mulberry bedrooms which was lovely. Room and bathroom clean and bed comfortable. Our treatments were scheduled for 5.00 p.m. They were running late but after relaxing in the 'chill out' room we felt it didn't really matter. We were going nowhere and were already relaxed. Apologies were forthcoming for both our 'bad' experiences on the day of arrival but after that all went well. Our dinner was booked at 7.30 p.m. and was thoroughly enjoyable if not rather noisy as we were unfortunate enough to clash with a large party of mainly men who were on a corporate function. Not the fault of the hotel unless they can keep parties like that in a separate area. The dinner was very good as was the breakfast. In fact I would go as far as saying it is the best hotel breakfast I have ever had and I am well travelled and have high standards. A choice of full continental or cooked was available. The cooked breakfast didn't swim in grease as so many buffet breakfasts do. The spa/hotel source locally produced food which is good. We soon relaxed, and loved the short time there. We both thought £115 each for a good room, breakfast and 2 course meal and 25 minute pamper session good value and both want to return - hopefully with our partners next time. Next time we will be more prepared as we haven't been on a spa before. We'll also go with walking shoes so can explore the fantastic grounds better. Wellies and bikes are available to hire but we would take our own. The modern architecture probably isn't to everyone's taste and like another reviewer I did think when looking on the website it was rather like a Premier inn however I felt the atmosphere was good and the new mixed in with the old actually worked very well. The beds were comfortable and I slept very well having no trouble with my spine which I have experienced before. All staff were both friendly and helpful. Thank you to everyone. We will both return!!

Room Tip: I was in the Mulberry rooms on the ground floor which have French windows which open out onto the ga...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thorpe le Soken
Chudleigh
Chudleigh
#1 of 17 in Clacton-on-Sea
Travelodge Clacton-on-Sea Central

Been to Lifehouse Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!