“Curate's Egg”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thorpe le Soken
Warwick
“Curate's Egg”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This Hitel abd Spa is a bit of a Curate's Egg. Its good in parts. I would imagine that it is good for spa treatments, but as we didn't take any, I cannot really comment. Equally I cannot comment about the food. We were there just for bed & breakfast.
And, at the high price of £150 plus, it really wasn't value for money. On arrival we had to ask for the sheets to be changed on the bed as there were large holes in the bottom sheet. Housekeeping did a fast job in changing the sheets, but at these prices I would expect better.
The room was fine, with large french windows opening out to overlook the beautiful gardens. But on the 'non existant ' balcony there were cobwebs galore. But while onn the subject of cleanliness the restaurant had not been swept, and the breakfast buffet bar was noththing special, with a limited choice.
The one major advantage, it is just 10 minutes to Frinton.

1 Thank Peter K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
essex, england
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a great nights stay. Took overnight offer with dinner & breakfast included but did not try treatments. Staff very attentive at all times. Beautiful room with balcony windows & view of the lake. We arrived at 11am and our rooms were ready. Enjoyed afternoon tea sitting outside and a delicious smoothie from the juice bar later on. Great size pool for a spa and never busy. Will definitely return.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Cleobury Mortimer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We enjoyed our stay even though it was for only one night and we didnt use the Spa facilities. Once we got over seeing everyone walking around in robes everywhere we relaxed. The room was well equipped, the bed very comfortable, the view very nice and the staff were helpful .The only moan I have is that we tried to book at table for dinner around 7 - 7.30 to be told the earliest time available was 9.30. We had room service instead and would suggest that the facilities in the room should accommodate this option. We were a little cramped and had to use a very small table.l
That aside we recommend the Hotel and will use it again in the future, and who knows, maybe we will get to use the spa.

Room Tip: All rooms we observed were very good
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GerryR847
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Disappointing stay - very expensive for what you get,

Rooms are a good size but no air con and not enough ventilation.

Food was poor quality, for a spa you would have thought that things like orange juice would be fresh and not the same brand as BR use.

Room Tip: Try another Spa
1 Thank Eastry
South
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed at the Life House for 1 nights an a dinner, bed and breakfast deal including a treatment.

The spa is set in beautiful grounds.

Check in was swift and easy. We were shown to our room. We had a beautiful room with a view across the garden. However the key card did not work, but a maintenance guy came up with in 5 minutes to rectify the problem. There was a tiny window on the side wall of the bedroom that has no use at all. Why? The bright daylight woke us up very early in the morning. Used a cushion to block out the light.

Our treatments were excellent. Ask for Lilly.

Dinner was also included. The restaurant was not very busy. We were kept waiting at the entrance for around 4 minutes before being shown to our table. The specials were explained to us and our drinks order was taken, a bottle of wine and a jug of iced water. The bottle of wine arrived after a wait of some 10 minutes. The water did not appear at all and I had to ask again for it.

The food was good, however the chicken breast on the menu was described as stuffed. When the dish came it was a sliced breast. On asking why it was different from the menu I was informed by the waiter that he did not know, but that it was indeed the same as the menu but just not stuffed.

When the sweet arrived I had to ask for cutlery, I was bought a fork and a soup spoon.

Overall experience was good but a little more attention to detail in the restaurant would have made it great

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SJNN
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have just returned from an overnight spa break at The Lifehouse for my husband's birthday. The spa was recommended to me by a friend.
Our overall experience was really good and I would say better than other venues I have recently visited including Champneys Springs and the more local, Clarice House. Rooms are clean, modern and fresh; the gardens are beautiful and well maintained; pool and spa facilities were clean and not overcrowded; spa treatments very well organised, informed therapists and extremely relaxing.
My only disappointments relate to check out and I appreciate these are my personal experiences and not applicable to everyone but thought I would share.

1. Our treatments were booked between 10.00am and 11.50am. We returned promptly to our room to collect our bags and change. Between 12.00 and 12.08 we received 3 phone calls to remind us that we needed to check out. This was a bit frustrating.

2. On checkout I was presented with a bill that included the additional treatments I had booked and paid for at the time of making the reservation. After a few phone calls between the spa and hotel receptions and having to dig out my confirmation the team worked out that it had been prepaid. Unfortunately at this point my husband was now aware of the cost of the break.

My main suggestion would be to make check in at 12noon on the day of arrival. 3pm check in and 12noon check out feels a little rushed for an overnight stay. I appreciate you can use the facilities until 3pm but once checked out we were less inclined to do so.

1 Thank Amy P
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed here for a 2-night spa break mid-week (on a Weds & Thurs night). The room was nice, the facilities were good and overall we felt very relaxed. The room where breakfast and dinner are served is a little bit loud and crashing (metal chairs and a hard floor, lots of echoing and noise) which doesn't really go along with the calming spa environment.
We also had a couples massage which was really mediocre, and which I would not recommend. If you're looking to spend a day or two lounging near the pool and in the sauna/steam rooms, this is a great option.
Note, when we checked out, on Friday afternoon, *two* hen or birthday parties were checking in, and based on the shrieking and general noise and chaos they made in the lobby I can imagine that it may have been much less relaxing and quiet to be there that weekend. If you're really after peace and quiet mid-week might be a better bet.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Chudleigh
Chudleigh
#1 of 17 in Clacton-on-Sea
Travelodge Clacton-on-Sea Central

Been to Lifehouse Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!