“Great place to stop for a short break, especially to relax and unwind”

Lifehouse Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thorpe le Soken
Kent, United Kingdom
“Great place to stop for a short break, especially to relax and unwind”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We have just had two nights at this hotel on B/B basis with Secretescapes.com
We had booked a standard garden view room in the Mulberry Block, ground floor, and on arrival
we were given room 47. A good room but we then saw room 58 which was on the same floor but had a better outlook so we requested a change to that room. The reception staff were very helpful and friendly and made no problem in giving us a transfer.
The room was very well furnished and equipped as was the bathroom with its walk-in shower.
We appreciated the large patio opening doors and the system that allowed one of them to be opened at night to allow fresh air in. No aircon in the room so this is important.
A good size walk-in shower but the floor tiles do become slippery when wet and there is no safety rail, so be careful.
We stopped Sunday and Monday nights.
Breakfast both days was good, but on the Tuesday morning there were no morning papers available to read and the croissants were dry, definitely not fresh !
This was our first visit to the area and we really enjoyed Frinton.
The leisure facilities at the hotel are excellent including the indoor swimming pool, sauna and steam rooms. All very well maintained.
No problems either in wearing bath robes and slippers during the day which again makes it very relaxing.
Unfortunately we will have to return to try the spa facilities as we ran out of time.
We would choose a ground floor room again but I think we would take the upgraded Signature room which is larger and has a King size bed, as the standard room only has a double bed, not even Queen size.
The grounds are very spacious and makes a good walk.
Overall we were very impressed with this hotel and we like the atmosphere and ambience feel.
The complimentary Wi fi in room worked very well

Room Tip: We liked the ground floor rooms in the Mulberry block which open out to the gardens. We had room 58...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
London
Reviewed 15 July 2014

- Rooms
The bed is OK, but neither an overly good mattress nor pillows. It's a top-end price for an average room. The walk-in shower was good with electronic controls.

- Restaurant
We didn't eat supper here, but breakfast was Travelodge-style: Buffet with scrambled eggs that were watery and rubbery - I passed in favour of toast. Coffee was good.

- Bar
Perhaps the winner of venue as it's well set out and the bar staff are friendly. Good selection of cocktails and wines.

- Spa
The swimming pool is large as is the main spa bath. Choice of Finnish Sauna and Steam room. My girlfriend had a massage and enjoyed it.

Overall - nice setting, but the rooms are not luxurious enough for a couples retreat.
I'd rather spend a bit more and get more luxury.

Room Tip: Garden rooms have good views over the pond
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Recently went to stay with my boyfriend whilst visiting friends. It was the only hotel in the area that had availability at short notice. At £84.50 each for bed and breakfast I thought it was very pricy. However, we arrived and were showed to our room. It was spacious and had a view of the cafe area and gardens. There wasn't many coat hangers and no wardrobe but since we were staying one night it didn't matter. The robes and slippers were a nice touch and the soaps etc in the bathroom were lovely. We got changed and ordered a cab from reception. On our return back, late that night we settled in nicely. There were tea and hot chocolate and water in our room but no fridge for the water. We had a full nights sleep but we found the room hot and had little air due to the design of the windows which could only open a slither. We woke and went down to breakfast at 9am. There was a lovely selection! Everything you could ask for. We left at 11am and got a taxi to Clacton which we enjoyed before our journey home. Over all I am glad I stayed as I would love to return to use the spa. Everyone seemed very relaxed. The prices for the treatments ranged from £25/100 but for a special occasion I believe it would be a lovely experience. Need to save up but... We'll be back.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Having had a great time last year, we returned in April for another day to ourselves. Hot stone massage and facials were very much enjoyed, together with use of the pool, jacuzzi and quiet room. It's amazing how relaxed you feel after a treatment, very zoned out. They had updated the system since our last visit but didn't advise us you now need to collect a remote to summon you when your therapist was ready, so we were late for our appointments, but it is an efficient system.

The other difference was the changing rooms; the male and female changing rooms are now on different sides of the swimming pool, with the female space including the old male changing room, but this change has only meant one additional shower for females and at busy times I think this would make things difficult. As it was it the changing rooms were very busy at 6pm on a weeknight, but perhaps this is due to locals coming in to use the pool etc after work.

Enjoyed afternoon tea before we headed off. Once again highly recommended.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
essex
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Recently went to the Lifehouse Spa on a Sunday. There were 4 of us in total in our group.
The spa package we went on was the :-
Pamper & Prosecco Day £135.00 per adult which included

3 course buffet lunch in the spa cafe
55 minute ESPA or DECLEOR personalised body massage or facial
Glass of Prosecco each
Complimentary robe for the day and slippers
Fitness classes if you wanted to use them
Access to the historic gardens however it was raining!
Available from 9am to 6pm

In regards to the price I thought it was ok. The spa is what I would call a good solid health club spa not a luxurious one. There are no nice little touches for example no hand lotion in the toilets, no fresh flowers, no toiletries in the changing room, no straighteners, no fresh fruit on offer in bowls. My David Lloyd gym has better amenities in the changing room. It didn't smell like a spa either, no aromatherapy oils burning etc.

Our welcome at the spa reception was very nice and explained things well. We had a nice coffee in the bar area before our day started. We used the pool area however the first time we walked in we had to walk away as there were no beds free with people just leaving there towels on the beds and walking off. There should really be someone keeping an eye on this.

The relaxation room upstairs was nice however you could hear the blender from the juice bar every so often! But in general a nice chill out zone. I did drift off!

The juice bar is a good idea and I have to say that on arriving there for our lunch I was concerned as to what our lunch would be like due to it not being downstairs in the main restaurant but the food was very very good. It was extremely tasty and good quality. Well done! The girls working on the juice bar were very helpful and friendly also.

We all had a treatment and I have to say the girl who did my massage I think her name was tasmin was excellent. One of the best massages I have had - she knew her stuff! Better than my massage at champneys! However I was extremely disappointed with one aspect of the spa. I asked if I could use the pods that I'd seen advertised on the website. I was told no you have to book these. Good customer service was lacking here. Why couldn't I have used it? I would have been happy to pay no problem. This should have been explained on booking the package as I feel a bit misled, it should have been pointed out. This upset me really. Due to this fact of not being able to use this section of the spa I feel that there is something missing - I feel there should be another room on offer for guests - perhaps some massage chairs, or outside jacuzzi or something to feel that it's special.

Gym was good. Equipment was all up to date.

We had a sandwiches from the bar/lounge area before we left - beef and horseradish. However bread wasn't as fresh as it could have been. I'm sure it had been fresh that morning but it was 5pm so perhaps that's why. But they were tasty.

I would recommend going but only if you get a good deal!

London
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We booked my mother in here to stay while visiting us in Frinton - it worked out at £300 for the weekend including breakfast - and that was a double room with single occupancy, If you have a twin or double then you pay marginally more which makes it very good value! Well designed, modern decor, all very clean and with lovely gardens. Very nicely done hotel and you have the added benefit of the spa facilities if you fancy a swim. No children under 16.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the garden.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
essex
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed for one night with dinner, bed and breakfast with a 35 minute treatment. The room was lovely overlooking the lake and garden. The meal was fantastic and beautifully presented although breakfast wasn't as good as my last visit, croissants were dry and the only choice of egg was scrambled. Last time there was a good choice of fresh fruits with nuts and seeds, this time just tinned fruit, but it was ok. The massage was wonderful and the facilities good although the showers weren't working in the swimming area. I rang to say I'd left my phone charger behind in the room, they took my card details and charged me £3 to return it which I thought was pretty mean considering we spent over £300 between two of us for one night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Chudleigh
Chudleigh
#1 of 17 in Clacton-on-Sea
Travelodge Clacton-on-Sea Central

Been to Lifehouse Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!