My wife and I spent 3 nights at Marataba Safari Lodge in early June 2014 and enjoyed a five star experience. The setting, accommodations, food, and game drive vehicles are top notch, as the other reviewers have described. In Marataba's case, the staff is what made it such an outstanding experience for us. General managers Gawie & Yolandi Grobler are engaged and enthusiastic about their jobs. Our field ranger - Melanie Delamare - was knowledgeable and insightful. The resort staff was gracious and helpful.
A highlight of our experience was a river cruise with Melanie Delamare and Liam Charlton. My wife and I had the good fortune of being the only two who chose to cruise that day, and we enjoyed a special encounter with playful, bathing elephants. Fortunately, we had taken a diversion to seek out an African Rock Python that was crossing the water ahead of us, only to stumble upon the young elephants frolicking in the shallow river waters directly ahead. We lingered there for a fascinating afternoon cruise.
We would gladly return to Marataba upon our next visit to South Africa.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Marataba is a malaria-free 23000 hectare private concession within the Big5 Marakele National Park (Limpopo, South Africa). Just four hours from Johannesburg, this is a sanctuary where busy people can find themselves again by connecting with nature. We were rendered breathless by the dramatic Waterberg mountains, vast plains, rich animal diversity and winding rivers cutting through the landscape of the Marakele National Park. Rich red mountain rock meets lush green plains (where you will find yellowwood and cedar trees, 5m high cycads and tree ferns). All of the large game species from elephant and rhino to the big cats, as well as an amazing variety of birds (including the largest colony of endangered Cape vultures in the world, with more than 800 breeding pairs) have settled here. Marataba Safari Lodge is a simple extension of the natural environment beyond its walls - rich, bold, organic and patently magnificent. Whether you prefer your own company or that of new-found friends, there are a number of spots from which to soak up the view - hammock, pool lounger or grassy patch. On the menu for your pleasure is a smorgasbord of activities from which to choose. Whether game drive, walking trail, sunset river excursion on Miss Mara, or a private dinner for two, there is never enough time to exhaust the many ways there are to love this place. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, MrandMrsSmith, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Marataba Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marataba Safari Company Hotel Waterberg
- Marataba Safari Lodge Thabazimbi, Africa - South Africa