“FAULTLESS”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Hertfordshire
“FAULTLESS”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have to admit it. I tried hard to find fault with this restaurant but failed. We'd been there about 10 years ago. The service was awful and the owner/manageress abrupt and most unfriendly. We wanted to try it again because the food had been very good. This time the food was equally good and, what's more, the owner/manageress was friendly and welcoming. She does not smile a lot - nor does her staff - but it is a serious restaurant serving seriously good food and wine. My scallops were exquisite, so was my a la carte lamb dish. Delicious! There were no complaints from the others either. We all had different starters and mains and all of us were equally saisfied. So was there nothing with which I could find fault? Well, perhaps the lavatories! Renovate them and the Sir Charles Napier might even get a second Michelin star.

Marlow, United Kingdom
“My favourite place to dine”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Love love love The Sir Charles Napier. It is one of my favourite places to dine. Have shared many memorable moments there. It seems to have a magic that way! The food is divine, as is the wine list and the service.

• Visited February 2014
RADLETT
“First Class In Every Way”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Returning to The Sir Charles Napier after many years it was as good if not better than we remembered. Lovely cosy bar and drinks, interesting menu and comfortable coffee and truffles afterwards. However the main delight was the meal itself. Great soufflés, super ingredients and each dish very well done. Pleasant and competent people and easy atmosphere. Only criticism was that it was rather slow. Couldn't use the beautiful gardens because the rain did not stop. Highly recommended.

India
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We had lunch here with a friend in early May and was disappointed with the service which was very average. The food was below expectations. The fish I ordered was very salty and when I mentioned so, the owner asked how is my salt level. Hello? First of all, we were not even asked how the food was. It was just presumed that we were happy with it. And when it was pointed out that salted capers on the fish makes it very salty, the owner was less than polite. My husband ordered lamb chops, and the portion was 2 tiny lamb chops, absolutely not worth what they charge for it.
We have made a booking for the lunch but was seated only after about 45 minutes. Since we were on a holiday, we were okay with taking our time, but it did make us almost miss our train.
Over all, for the prices of the food, quality and the service, I would say it is not worth it.

2 Thank donyarosa
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Not what we expected!”
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Persuaded by a local recommendation,we arrived at 6.30 for a 6.45 booking. At 6.50,we had not been offered a menu,so I requested one.The dishes were highly priced,but there was a limited alternative ,two courses for £19.95,so we opted for that.We were the only diners in the bar.so it was difficult to understand why it took ages for our food to appear.My salmon was undercooked,almost raw, and I didn't enjoy it.My wife's beet root,cheese and broadbean salad was so uninspired that we wondered what the chef had been doing during our long wait!However, after another period of waiting,the main dish arrived.Happily, the cod was good.However,the service was not!The plates were put down then later collected without a word from the waitress.Surely,part of her duties is to enquire if we enjoyed the meal and was there anything we required?Disappointing!!Time to pay the bill.I expressed our dissatisfaction with parts of the meal.This did not go down well! I then refused to pay the voluntary service charge of 12.5% as we had not received any good service -is this due to arrogance?Quite frankly, we consider that this restaurant is over-rated and overpriced.We would not recommend it!

Visited May 2014