“Friendly pub with great pub grub!”

The Woolpack Inn Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Brookland
Price range: £6 - £20
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Woolpack, dating from 1410, retains many of its original features such as wattle-and-daub walls and a low, beamed ceiling. Its name comes from its popularity with `owlers'- wool smugglers- who used the inn as a base for their lucrative trade. The Woolpack is so perfectly old-fashioned that very little had to be altered when, in 1947, scenes from `The Loves of Joanna Godden' were filmed there. Located in great walking country, the Woolpack is a perfect place to stop and satisfy the thirst and appetite during a day out in the country. Excellent traditional pub food is served with all fish and game are locally sourced and the delicious mature British beef steaks are always prepared to the individual customer's taste. The pub has two large beer gardens with neat lawns, shrubs, hanging baskets, picnic benches and a barbecue area. We are a family run pub and extend a warm welcome to all who come. 'No reservation no problem' At the Woolpack we do not take bookings or resevations, however we have plenty of tables including large tables for big parties. Whether you live near or are just passing by we aim to provide and excellent dining and drinking experience for customers. We do however take bookings for Christmas for individuals, couple or big parties as we have a set menu.
Reviewed 12 July 2022 via mobile

Driving from Essex down to Rye for a short break, we were getting hungry and by chance noticed across a field ‘The Woolpack Inn’ written on the roof of the lovely old building. We thought let’s pop by and see if they do lunches.
Result!
They did and we were in time!
My wife ordered a Prawn salad and I ordered Chilli and chips. We took our drinks out into the well tended gardens and found a table. Despite being quite busy, our meals were with us within 20 minutes.
My wife’s Prawn salad was massive! 10 she’ll on prawns and a large serving of prawns in a Marie Rose sauce with new potatoes and a lovely fresh crisp salad.
My Chilli was just as good as any I have ever tasted. A decent heat with bags of flavour plus a goodly portion of Chips ( much to my wife’s disgust!).
Sorry, all the previous comments saying Microwave cooking and unfriendly staff are completely out of order!
We were greeted in a very friendly and courteous manner by two very pleasant ladies…and trust me I know the difference between home cooked and microwave and a microwave went nowhere near my Chilli!
This is a pub that is now on our radar for future visits to West Sussex!

Date of visit: July 2022
2  Thank johncU5922AC

Reviewed 29 June 2022 via mobile

I can't tell the unsuspecting public enough to avoid this place at all costs.

The staff are rude, the landlord is rude. The service is terrible.

To be embarrassed at the bar was insulting.

The quality of the food looked awful and produced from a microwave.

There is no way you will get me back to this pub unless the current owners leave.

2  Thank ianandclairewallis
Reviewed 16 June 2022 via mobile

We waited 50 minutes for food and it never arrived. If they had said the wait was over an hour when we ordered we could have gone elsewhere. We eventually had a refund and the explanation that they were busy but they hadn’t even started to cook it.

3  Thank ryeharbourmarine
Reviewed 11 June 2022 via mobile

Popped in there after walking the dog and partner persuaded to have a bite to eat.
All I can say is a microwave meal would have been nicer than what we were served. Never again. Please don't waste your money.
Stick to a drink only

2  Thank 711hannahv
Reviewed 6 June 2022

One of the best pub lunches I've had. Delicious, plentiful and excellent pub grub! The staff were also hugely helpful and very efficient. Highly recommended!