The Ship Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
St. Leonards Hotel(St Leonards)
  • Pool
Burley Manor(Burley)
  • Breakfast included
Travelodge Ringwood(St Leonards)
View Hotel
All reviewsbusy junctionthe pubpuddingcomfortable roomhigh streetfull englishnew forestbacon and eggswell worth a visitgeraldspecialsdog
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My wife and I and our dog visited the Ship Inn on Friday evening 6th September. I ordered the Baked Cod with Sundried tomatoes and my wife had the Roast beef Salad. Without exaggeration both meals were excellent both in quality and quantity. Also the staff there are young but very good at their job both in terms of service and polite demeanour.
The other surprise for us was that with drinks the superb meals cost less than £30. So much was our delight that unlike others we decided to revisit on Sunday evening the 8th September. Sometimes going back to a good venue tends to be disappointing, however this was again absolutely first class. Our view is we would have not got the quality or quantity in higher caliber restaurants. The only change on Sunday evening was that my wife had the Roast Beef Lunch in the evening but I stuck with the baked cod. Again absolutely first class on both and again just over £30 with drinks. The chef here is worth his weight in gold.

Room Tip: We only ate at the ship we did not stay. But if the rooms are as good as the food then it will be first class.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I only went here for dinner and it makes the most amazing food dishes. The best items are located on the specials board. I had jerk pork and sweet potato fries and it was the most amazing dish I have eaten in ages. The icecream is also to die for.

Cannot comment on the hotel but if you in the are you must eat here!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

I don't like to be horrible about places which is why I've given this place a 4 for service as the people were nice, friendly and welcoming. However the accommodation was pretty grim. To get into the room, you had to walk up a very narrow, steep staircase cluttered by the owners personal stuff, which wasn't easy with luggage and a 2 year old in tow. The room itself was just old and tatty. I've given it a 1 for cleanliness as while the linen and sheets were clean the rest of the room just felt dirty; the walls and ceiling had dirt marks all over them and just desperately needed painting, the carpet was sticky, the curtains were dirty, the bathroom needed a good clean and the amount of dust and dirt underneath the bed and wardrobe was just gross (again I don't look for these things, but I dropped the back of my earring and was on the floor looking for it). The furniture was very old, but not nice old, just dirty old. I felt a bit sick when I thought about the state the mattress /pillows might be in. The room was like a sauna on a hot August night so we had to keep the windows open... So the noise in the room from the beer garden was very loud. Not really the pub's fault as I chose to stay in a pub so I knew there would be a lot of people around but I didn't expect  the music pulsing through the ceiling/walls. It was ridiculous and just pounding, so loud we could almost sing along. One of the staff did come up to listen to the music when I complained and to be fair, he did seem surprised and we couldn't 100% be sure where it was coming from, so maybe they just didn't realise/ thought it was a one off, but we had to go down and tell them about it the second night too. On the upside, breakfast was good and as I say, the staff were friendly and helpful. Nice location too. Maybe if I thought the price matched the room I would feel differently but at £70/night for a double room (plus £5 per person for a full english breakfast) I think that is too much considering the state of the room. But even if it was cheaper, I couldn't stay there again as the dirt and just overall tattiness of the room was just not something I'd want to return to.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank CityGirl55London
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The Ship is conveniently placed in Fordingbridge and a short way from the New Forest. My room was big for an old building, as was the en-suite bathroom. The room was clean although the furnishings were rather a mish-mash and beginning to show wear and tear. The staircase to the rooms was narrow and cluttered, with threadbare carpets. The TV was very small.
The included continental breakfast was good with fresh baked bread, Parma ham, cheeses and salami, toast and jams and a huge pot of tea. All in all though the 60 pound cost was more than I think reasonable when better accommodation elsewhere can be found for less.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Our son and daughter in law took us to the Ship Inn for lunch and it was worth the trip, the food was great and the service was perfect. Would recommend it to anyone and even though we live in Poole we will certainly return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family