“Overall good experience.”

Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Have had the opportunity to dine at The George several times over the last few months. Wonderful setting overlooking the River Avon although this was not necessarily a good place to be during the floods of early 2014. The management should be applauded for keeping the pub open during very trying times and retaining a sense of humour to boot!

Each time I have visited I have chosen something different from the menu and each time the quality of the food was exceptional. The waiting staff are very friendly and willing to go the extra mile. My only criticism would be the very few vegetarian dishes available, I am a carnivore but enjoy a veggie dish. Last time I visited was with a vegetarian friend who was limited to 3 dishes, a risotto, a veggie Caesar salad and a Thai green curry. Sadly, even the chips were unsuitable due to being cooked in beef dripping (although this what makes them so delicious). I would recommend adding a couple more veggie dishes to the menu, in my view the George will have then achieved near perfection :)

CarolineTheGeorge, Owner at The George, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review.

We have had a difficult few months and it is so nice to feel appreciated. I hope that you will come and visit us again soon.

I feel that we have a good range of Veggie dishes. 4 out of our 7 starters are Veggie, with 2 fish and one meat, and out of 15 main dishes 4 are Veggie and a further 5 are fish.

We can always accommodate and requirements and our chefs would be happy to make a special veggie dish if required.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

The girls who work in the restaurant and bar here bed over backwards to be pleasant and helpful.

The location is great, a beautiful spot along the river.

The food is from good to average, but each is plated with care and some quite delicious. Some imagination is shown in the dishes offered. I would have liked the tuna to be a little bit fresher, but it was Monday. Generally one should not order fish on a Monday and I chose to. All dishes tried were tasteful and well described on the menu. Wine list was more than adequate and what would be expected from an establishment of this ilk

Thank you for taking the time to review our pub.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your Tuna dish. This has been very popular since we added it to the menu. We only use the freshest fish and have it delivered by a local fish supplier 6 days a week, Monday to Saturday. We would never serve fish that is not fresh.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stopped in at the George on our first day of our break. Found it very welcoming if maybe a little pricey. Our dinner on the other hand was well prepared well presented and plenty tasty. Well done you guys

CarolineTheGeorge, Owner at The George, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review us, I am glad you enjoyed your meal and visit,

I am sorry that you thought we were a little pricey, our food is made here, by us from scratch using local ingredients where available. And our prices are similar to other establishments where this is not the case.

I hope you will come and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

May I first start with a huge positive; the waitresses in the George are accommodating, friendly and bubbly, and thus, a HUGE asset to the restaurant side of this pub. Previous experiences here have been pleasant and I have enjoyed food with my whole family. Today, Easter Sunday, however, was a little disappointing. To give credit where credit is due, our starters arrived and they were both tasty. The main however, (two Sunday roasts) seemed to be thrown together as quickly as possible, and was luke warm. I enjoy gravy, and lots of it, but the amount which came all over our two roasts was excessive. I caught the eye of the land lady, who I'm sure from reading other reviews, manages this page. In all fairness, she was very happy to change our meals, (AFTER telling us that we were the last table so she would have to go and find the chef). When our meals returned, they were beautifully presented, the gravy served on the side, as requested, and our nice and hot. The meat itself, was faultless. I must say, that the issue was resolved with a completely fresh plate and if we had been served this in the first place, our experience today would have been totally different. I must emphasise the diligence of the waitresses in the George. However, as an enthusiast, in the same profession myself, I am shocked, and find it impossible to believe that a land lady, of any establishment, would not revisit a table to ensure that any issues were rectified. I would have liked to give you this feedback in person, as I am a big fan of your pub/restaurant on the whole (thus my disappointment), but unfortunately I was not given the chance as you seemed to disappear after returning our original plates to the chef. We will be returning to the George in the future, it is just such a shame that today tainted my view slightly.

1  Thank Wallis0309
CarolineTheGeorge, Owner at The George, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Hello,

Thank you for your review.

I am glad that everything turned out well with your meal.

As to me not returning to your table, as you may have noticed when you called me over, I had almost completely lost my voice yesterday, and as I was finding it so difficult to speak, I thought it best that Roo return your plates to you............................ I was in the kitchen ensuring that your meals were replaced as quickly as possible, as you were that last table, and the kitchen had been packed down.

I am sorry that you feel that this tainted your visit, but I really couldn't help having lost my voice.

we then offered you complimentary drinks and a half price dessert.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We visited The George, which was highly recommended. We arrived early and found the place beautifully located on the river, the food smelt lovely and despite not booking staff were keen to try and accommodate us to a table. The food smelt wonderful and I looked forward to a dining experience.

We started with soup and my partner found something in his soup, which disturbingly looked rather woody. I attempted to reassure him I felt certain it was part of a fresh herb branch but brought it discreetly to the attention of our waitress, should it have been swallowed by a small child or elderly person, quite a different scenario may have ensued.

Our waitress continued to serve our meal with no mention of the item found in the soup, despite a discreet second reminder. I had ordered the scallops, to my disappointment they arrived with four YES FOUR scallops on the main meal. I may not have minded but two identical meals went by with twice the amount of scallops served and at the prices charged I was not impressed.

GEORGE RESTAURANT IF THIS IS HOW YOU TREAT YOUR CUSTOMERS WHO ARE POLITE TO BRING SUCH MATTERS TO YOUR ATTENTION IN A DISCREET MANNER AND YOU DECIDE TO BE SO PETTY AS TO THEN SERVE PITYFUL AMOUNTS OF FOOD, YOU NEED TO FIND A MORE PROFESSIONAL CHEF WHO CAN TAKE POSITIVE COMMENTS MORE PROFESSIONALY AND STAFF WHO ARE MORE TRAINED TO FIELD THEM. I WILL NOT BE RECOMMENDING YOUR ESTABLISHMENT

4  Thank Linda B

Hello,

I am very disappointed and slightly puzzled by your review.

We pride ourselves on handling all complaints at the time.

I have spoken to my entire front of house team and no one has had anyone complain to them about finding anything in their soup this week. Our Chef assumes that it was a Thyme stalk as he used this when making the soup.

As to your accusation that we were somehow punishing you by giving you 4 scallops, I find this quite shocking. The portion size is 4. We are a small business and we pride ourselves on our reputation, and would never do something so petty.

I would like to get to the bottom of this, so if your could please contact me with details of when you visited and a description of your waitress that would be most helpful.