“First of many visits”

Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Ordered a table over the phone for a Saturday lunch. WOW what a fantastic place, Table 4 near the window, incredible food, staff that want to serve you. The three of us shared a starter for 2 that they catered the extra person in, it was just so tasty. The staff were smiling, friendly and could not do enough for us. The view was stunning and the atmosphere was just brilliant. I am a big guy but I could not finish my fish and chips. This place was recommended to me by a work friend and we traveled from Portsmouth just for lunch and I will be doing that trip again A LOT. Thank you so much for looking after us. My daughter is a very strict veggie and next time I go I am having the veggie curry, it looked, tasted and smelled amazing. I promise you, you will not be disappointed if, no when, you visit here.

CarolineTheGeorge, Owner at The George, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Wow, what a review.

It is so lovely of you to take the time so write such kind words. So many people don't think to review us when they have had a lovely experience.

I am so glad that your daughter enjoyed her Veggie Curry so much, it has been very popular.

I am glad that you thought we were worth the trip!

We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Thanks to all the The George we have eaten with you many times and had a few drinks on occasion too and service, food, and atmosphere have always been good! We love foie gras and find earlier comments about boycotting ridiculous.... Also love your comment Caroline about the review advisors... I wish it existed!!! Keep up the fantastic work! K

1  Thank kerry_dow

Hello,

Thank you so much for your lovely review, it really made our day!

As you see not everyone is as happy with their experience as you seem to have been.

We work very hard here at The George and it is so lovely to be appreciated.

I hope you will come and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I have lived in this town for 20 years and have seen changes with this pub/restaurant. I have to say this was one of the best visits I have had. The food was delicious and so much of it. Presentation was excellent, the staff with charming and the atmosphere was perfect. I'll be visiting more often now.

CarolineTheGeorge, Owner at The George, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Hello,

Thank you so much for the lovely review, it means a lot to the whole team that you have taken the time to let us know that you think we are doing something right.

We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Staying with family in Fordingbridge and we were treated to a night out without the kids and were advised to try The George.
Oh boy was it a good recommendation! What a stunning place. Proper, tasty, beautifully presented food in a lovely setting with happy, smiley and attentive waiters and waitresses.
A couple of reviews on here seem to complain about the price... I'm gobsmacked! We had the fish sharing platter to begin and a main each plus a few drinks (wimped out on pud because we were both stuffed by then!) and it cost us £60. I think that is very reasonable for the quality that was clearly on our plates!

All in all - 5 star. Completely lovely evening and will definitely be back. Thank you everyone at the George.

CarolineTheGeorge, Owner at The George, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Hello,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review, we all work extremely hard and it means a lot to the whole team to get such lovely feedback. Especially these days when people so often look for a negative in everything.

We hope that you will come and see us again next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We arrived at the George at about 12.45 and asked for a table for two in the restaurant.The lady in charge did not seem terribly interested and offered a table in the area with a fireplace, rather squashed, very close to another table containing a number of customers.
The restaurant near the river had several empty tables,(3/4?) none of which as far as I could see bore a "reserved" sign. I asked if we could have one of those tables and received a faintly patronising answer that those tables were all reserved. So we left and had a jolly lunch elsewhere in Fordingbridge. For my own interest and curiosity I returned to the George at about 2.15, four tables were still empty in the restaurant with no sign of of having been used!
On reflection I think this is a bit sad, we are local residents, Lover, and fairly regular customers of the George, liking to support local businesses . We didn't feel that we had received very good customer service and will not be returning .

5  Thank Ron P