Feather Down Farms at Midgham Farm
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Fordingbridge
See available hotels
View Hotel
St. Leonards Hotel(St Leonards)
Burley Manor(Burley)
Travelodge Ringwood(St Leonards)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewshonesty shopcupboard bedpizza ovenwood burning stovegreat funcoffee beansenjoyed our holidayclimbing ropescollecting fresh eggsfree rangebeds were very comfortablenew forestyour doorstepfantastic weekendlog cabinsammycandlelight
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Our boys (aged 8 and 10) adored this trip - able to wander free-range in the woods with our dog, paddle and fish in the river, build dens and collect eggs and firewood in the mornings. The tent was fabulous and cosy - stove burning inside and fire burning outside to cook, toast marshmallows and watch the stars by. We were high up in the woods (our tent was Beech) which meant a steep climb for carrying the luggage but enabled us to sit in the sun until evening, with a great view of the camp and the cows in the next field. Welcoming host and a great farm tour on the back of a pick up.

Room Tip: Speak to the owner (Sammy) - some tents are very close to each other and perfect for groups, others are set apart. Our tent (Beech) was on its own, up a hill, in a lovely sunny spot.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ann-Marie F
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I walked along the road through the woods this morning with my 12 year old son. He said quietly, "I don't want to leave. I love it here." I completely agreed. Midgham Farm is amazing. My son and my daughter (age 10) spent the weekend climbing ropes up ancient trees, watching birds in the early morning, feeding pigs, collecting eggs, petting horses, watching the foals and helping feed the horses with the help of the owners daughter. She was ever so kind to them (a heart felt thank you!). My husband I spent hours simply watching the woods with it's ancient trees and listened to the many many birds. I sketched and indulged in my passion of horses by talking with Sammy who is a gifted horsewoman. Her horses are breathtaking to say the least.

It is truly a place where you can just 'be'. Even the kids, despite having many things to do, seemed calmed by the environment. Sammy and her family are extremely kind and generous hosts who make you feel at ease from the moment you arrive.

On the practical side, there are no faults. The honesty shop is well stocked and the shower was very clean and the water lovely and warm. For kids, there is an incredible amount to do to keep them busy. There are many climbing areas, woods to explore, animals to visit, eggs to gather (within reason), trampoline, stream to wade, river to swim. If I could change anything about our trip I would have stayed much longer than a weekend. As a family, we typically like to do something new each trip but this is one where we are already discussing when we will return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LizBrighton_UK
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We are campers but I drew the line at airbeds when we got married so Featherdown was the compromise between me and my husband.

We were fortunate to discover Sammy when we decided on our New Forest/Dorset wedding and were lucky enough that our friends chipped in and we hired the whole site.

The tents are brilliantly spaced so you don't intrude on anyone else, the campfire and pizza oven are central enough for all to join in, but far away enough from the end tents for older people not to be disturbed!!

The larder and shower block were great and Sammy was more than happy to discuss additional requirements for the shop.

We hired Sammy's barn for our party and it is a lovely space - perfect for a party. It looked stunning and again with her advice we used some local suppliers and fed all our guests well on a budget. So much so we fed them on Sunday and Monday as well.

Yes, you have to remember there is no electric and in October it gets dark early, so take a very, very good torch(es). If you listen to Sammy the log burner lights quickly. In hindsight I would have paid to have the meal ready on the night we arrived - after a 3 1/2 drive we were ready for it!

Sammy and her team were great, the kids loved the freedom and the adults enjoyed not having to go anywhere to get anything, and the older people appreciated proper flushing toilets!!

We look forward to our return and thank you for making our wedding fabulous.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Nicola C
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I have never written a review before but I feel the need to say how much we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday here over the last few days. As seasoned campers we fancied trying the 'glamping' experience and we were not dissapointed. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome by Sammy and her team. We have three children (2,8 and13) and they said it's the best holiday they've ever had! We were really impressed with the tent (we stayed in Willow) and it was everything we expected from previous reviews etc. The beds were exceptionally comfortable, the kitchen well equipped, plenty of room for a family of five. Although quite dark in the tent this was expected given the woodland location and we enjoyed lighting candles and living unplugged - it was all part of the experience. Waking up in the woods to the views was just so relaxing.
The walk to the facilites, honesty shop, animals etc did a take a little while, but what a beautiful setting, we loved it. The farm tour was great, the children loved it on the back of the 4X4, and the oldest who is horse mad loved help grooming the horses and helping out around the stables. Sammy is a lovely friendly lady who showed interest in our family and put herself out even finding us some scraps to feed to the pigs which our youngest son loved.
We had no need to leave the site as the children had so much to do - they went and found eggs in the morning for their breakfast and pottered around the farm looking at the animals and playing on the rope swing, they made a friend of the guinea pigs, sheep, calf and farm dogs. Another aspect we loved was the river - although a 15 minute or so walk away, we had such good weather it was just a pleasant stroll and we spent a fabulous afternoon swimming and relaxing by the water - what a treat!
Overall our first experience of featherdown farms was fabulous and we are looking forward to booking up again here next year.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MJH79UK
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This was our third visit to a feather down farm, and whilst we still love the concept, this farm was nowhere near as good as the others we've been to. To start with the highlights:
-the kids loved every minute and made fast friends with children in neighbouring tents. We did too, in fact, and they way the tents were set up encouraged social evenings around the campfire which was lovely.
-the layout and structure of the tent was, as always, lovely, with comfy beds and the cupboard bed a sure winner every time.
-our older daughter loved the pony grooming.
-the nearby river is a magical place to visit with fishing nets and a jar- perfect for a picnic, and we even went for a dip a couple of times.
-there's lots to do in the area, even though we mainly spent time on the riverbank or around the woods
-there's a great play area with a trampoline and two rope swings, as well as a sandpit

The less positive areas:
-this is a very dark site. It stands to reason, given that its in the woods, but we still weren't prepared for how dark it really was. You do need candles and lanterns lit at all times.
-this is nettle country, and they are everywhere outside the woods. There are lots of wild blackberries to pick, which was lovely- but they grow amongst the nettles, which line the road and paths. I was surprised there were even nettles in the fenced in areas up by the play area.
-the miniature ponies advertised on the website was the determining factor for my booking this farm over another, but on arrival (when I asked) we were informed that the ponies had bitten too many children so they had to get rid of them. The website needs to be update to reflect this fact.
-we sometimes felt like an unwelcome presence for the hosts. On arrival, they explained to us that our tent needed mending as it leaked (we were asked whether we wanted it mended- we said yes, as it was meant to rain). Our wheelbarrow was also being mended, and one of the three showers was broken, as was the freezer in the honesty shop.- they had replaced the freezer with a small domestic one, and when I asked one night for some frozen hot water bottles for the cold chest in the tent (there were only thawed one in the freezer), I got a very grumpy answer to the effect that 'if you could all just learn to shut the freezer door properly, the bottles would be frozen by now!' In general, the attitude of the host wasn't overly warm or friendly, and we didn't feel the kind of connection we have in the past- nor did we learn anything about them or their farm, and the kids didn't get sense of where food comes from or the amount of work it takes to produce it. (I don't even know even know whether this a a working farm or not).
-there were two guinea pigs and a rabbit to visit with, but these were not cuddly animals. The guinea pigs kept themselves hidden, and boy did the rabbit scratch (I've got enormous claw marks on my arm to prove it- days later, people are still asking about them).
-the play area, whilst really nice, is a long way away from the tents (as is the honesty shop and the two working showers), so unless you're kids are older, it's too far for the kids to go there on their own
-there was a real penny pinching feel to this farm. This was the first time that we were charged for refilling the oil lanterns, and it was also a time- consuming thing (you left your lantern in the shop with a note, and hoped it had been replaced a few hours later- very inconvenient as you need lights on at all times). Once we were given a leaky lantern back, which I only realised
the following morning when it has dripped all over the floor next to the fire (not a great thing so close to an open flame!), and also splattered on a packet of biscuits on the sink. we pointed this out to the host, who did not comment.
- for the first time there was no firelighter left in the tent for you, so having arrived in the tent, you then had to make the ten minute trek back to the shop just to pick up (and pay for) firelighters- impractical, and really tight too, when you consider the cost of one of these breaks. There were board games for rent (for rent!) at £2 per night, which seemed downright ridiculous, again given what you pay to stay there.
-pizza night was a big disappointment. Elsewhere, it's been a fun, social evening with fresh pizza dough and fresh ingredients and everyone coming together to hang out and share a meal. Here it was every man fends for themselves: you could buy Tesco-style, ready-made pizza bases, pizza sauce and limp mozzarella in the honestly shop, and cook your own; all the farm did was to light the pizza oven- there was no further participation.

Overall, it felt as though the feather down farm thing was simply a way of boosting the income for the hosts- there was no involvement from them, or a wish to gets head any aspects of themselves. The kids had a blast, and we made some lovely new friends- but I would not go back to this farm again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family