Cristal Azul
Hotel Laguna Mar(Playa San Miguel)
TripAdvisor
La Colina Pura Vista(Playa San Miguel)
TripAdvisor
Arca de Noe Bed & Breakfast(Playa San Miguel)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsinfinity pooloutdoor showercosta ricawonderful hostsbeach barevery morningoff the beaten pathamazing viewsthe pacific oceanfresh fruitdelicious foodfrench toastget awayplaying poolan adventurelittle piece of heavenvacation spot
Reviewed 22 May 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Cristal Azul for four nights in April 2011 and had such a wonderful time that we didn't want to leave. The vacation was one of the most relaxing and peaceful I've ever enjoyed -- the lovely Cristal Azul and our hosts Zene and Henner compliment perfectly the serenity of Playa San Miguel.

You don't go to this small beachfront town for the shopping district or the nightlife -- it's a small, quiet village of friendly people with a diverse enough offering of things to do. But you should approach your stay here with the attitude that you're going to spend your time relaxing without needing a lot of the stimulus you'd expect from a bigger town. And it was for just that reason we enjoyed our stay at the Cristal Azul so much.

The hotel sits atop a hill (very privately, there's nothing else crowding the space) with a breathtaking, jaw-dropping view of the Pacific ocean. From the bar, the infinity pool, or one of the Cristal Azul's hammocks, you see the full horizon line and it's very easy to get lost for great stretches of time watching the waves roll in. It's one of the loveliest sights I've ever taken in.

As hosts, Zene and Henner have struck on the right mix of being friendly, helpful hosts on the one hand and, on the other, allowing their guests the space to feel that the hotel is really someone's dream house that you're lucky enough to visit. Guests are issued walkie talkies with far-ranging reception so that if you're down the hill on the beach (a 4x4 is a must to navigate the gnarly hill leading up to the hotel) you're never out of touch. Zene and Henner join the guests for sunset cocktails and it always feels like a lovely occasion to sip a Cuba Libre and talk to the hosts and other guests.

I've never been so relaxed and felt so welcome in a hotel. The feeling is much more akin to being welcome guests in paradise. My wife and I whiled away hours by the pool or in the bar playing Jenga without a care in the world. I recommend the Cristal Azul without reservation and would LOVE to return!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2011

My boyfriend and I spent a week at Cristal Azul and fell in love with Costa Rica. The staff was extremely welcoming, the facilities were amazing (we never expected it to be as spectacular as it was), the food was delicious and the amenities were superb. We couldn't have asked for anything more. Playa San Miguel is a great beach town, just a short walk from Cristal Azul. We are already planning our next trip to this special place and highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in traveling to Costa Rica.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I've been to more countries than states in the US and I can say, hands down, this is my new favorite destination. Cristal Azul Resort gave me the luxuries of home without losing a very real costa rican experience. Beautiful ocean front villas, vanishing edge pool with an 180-degree view, and authentic costa rican meals (fresh calamari? Yes, please.) make this the only place I will stay when I come back. And I will absolutely come back. Great people (Zene and Haynard, you're the best!) and a beautiful resort...thank you again for everything!!

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 23 April 2011

If you could reach Heaven, Paradise or any other Celestial place through a stay in a hotel , the shortest and most pleasant way would be Cristal Azul in Costa Rica.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2011

We chose to stay at Cristal Azul mostly because of the fantastic reviews and pictures on this site - to be honest I thought it might be a case of 'too good to be true', but actually it surpassed even our highest expectations. Zene and Henner were wonderful hosts - really friendly, helpful and thoughtful. The place itself is just superb. Wonderful views over the beautiful Playa San Miguel (it is up a hill so it totally overlooks the bay), with very nice, modern, clean rooms, a lovely pool with sunbeds around it, and a laid back social type area with bar, pool table, music and the dining area.

The local beaches are stunning and untouched, and the local community is very friendly and welcoming to visitors. The area isn't crowded or touristy, but there are still some fun little bars and restaurants nearby, mostly near the beach. Definitely don't miss out on Tanga's and their amazing freshly caught fish - some of the tastiest seafood I've ever had. Meals at Cristal Azul itself were superb too, and generous portions.

As other reviews mention, it can be tricky to navigate your way to Cristal Azul, but our drive from Monteverde was seamless (about 4 hours) thanks to the detailed directions from Zene and Henner, and the effort is definitely worth it when you arrive and see the amazing beach and stay at such a great place.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple