Here's the deal...We booked the trip and used Paypal to put down the payment for the first night. All our communications had been great. The people were so nice. We called them in the afternoon and told them we would be taking the coastal road and planned to meet them around 1:00 p.m. We knew we had to crosss 3+ rivers. We had a four wheel drive and were told by everyone that we would have no trouble. We got to a river (not even on our map). There were workers who, because of the flooding, would not let us pass. We called our hosts and told them that we couldn't make it because by the time we turned around and went by another road, it would take us another eight hours or so to get to them. They refunded our money.
These are wonderful people. It was not their faults that we could not pass. However, we drove about three hours south before we got turned back. I would not hesitate to try this trip again a little deeper into the dry season. We cannot tell you about the accomodations, but the reviews from everyone who has stayed there have been glowing. The hosts returned our money because we could not get there. How wonderful is that? Stay with them. I'm sure you will love it. On our next trip, we will make it down to their wonderful location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cristal Azul is the perfect destination for those looking to step off the beaten path and experience what Costa Rica was like before the world arrived. A totally private property with no public access, guests enjoy 180’ panoramic ocean views and the ultimate in barefoot luxury in a rustic setting. Prepare to unplug, unwind, and get lost in paradise! Great times are had here and memories of a lifetime are created! Four cozy "cabinas" guarantee there is never a crowd; each is equipped with AC, ceiling fans, screened doors that let in the ocean breeze and sound of the surf below, hot water, outdoor garden showers, fine linens, Raw Botanicals organic bath products, and the most impressive views in the area. An oversized, open air Rancho provides a luxe “Glamping” experience with an honor bar and billiards table as well as dining and lounge area ample enough for all guests. The vanishing edge pool overlooks six miles of undeveloped beach and provides a front row seat to the most amazing stargazing under the canopy of the Milky Way! A full typical Costa Rican breakfast is served daily and a chef prepares dinner nightly for guests in the Rancho upon demand. The only Costa Rica owned and operated hotel in San Miguel, your hosts also own LocosCocos (#1 Restaurant in area, #1 Beach Bar in Costa Rica; Lonely Planet)which is a guest favorite for sunset dinners on the beach. It is also a great place to spend the day steps from the surf with cold beers and catch of the fresh fish and seafood ready at your beck and call! 4WD and love adventure required too reach this area! Reservations required-gated entrance for guests only. For best rates, book direct! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Cristal Azul reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cristal Azul Hotel Playa San Miguel
- Cristal Azul Costa Rica/Playa San Miguel