We just returned from a few weeks in Costa Rica, and our stay at Cristal Azul was the highlight of our trip. We had only booked two days at CA with plans to spend a few days with friends in Playa Junquillal on our way to the airport. We came within inches of cancelling our visit with friends to spend another couple days in Playa San Miguel because we hated to tear ourselves away.
Zene and Henner are the ultimate hosts. The B&B is an extremely plush oasis in a nicely remote and extremely beautiful part of Costa Rica. From our arrival to departure the service and attention to detail were exceptional. Thanks to both (and the kitchen staff) for such a great stay.
The property is beautiful, the views are breathtaking. The infinity pool sitting high over the Pacific is a spectacular place to watch a sunset after a day on the beach. Although not directly on the beach the walk down the mountain to the beach is great, and the beach itself is stunning. There's a great beach bar that serves up a really good ceviche and the beer is cold.
Oh yes, the food! The only complaint I have is that I think I put 5 pounds on while there for 2 days. When presented with the menu options in the morning for dinner that night we would just tell them to make one of each of the appetizers and entrees since we couldn't chose. Jamie and I would then proceed to eat our way through the night while talking with Henner who is a very engaging and entertaining host. The kitchen staff is incredible and we are going to return if for no other reason than to try the sushi.
Thanks again Zene and Henner for a wonderful experience. Thanks also for the Butterfly Farm recommendation, it was a really great way to spend the morning. Mike is an extremely knowledgeable and engaging entomologist and his farm is incredibly fascinating. We loaded up our luggage with honey.
See you next year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cristal Azul is the perfect destination for those looking to step off the beaten path and experience what Costa Rica was like before the world arrived. A totally private property with no public access, guests enjoy 180’ panoramic ocean views and the ultimate in barefoot luxury in a rustic setting. Prepare to unplug, unwind, and get lost in paradise! Great times are had here and memories of a lifetime are created! Four cozy "cabinas" guarantee there is never a crowd; each is equipped with AC, ceiling fans, screened doors that let in the ocean breeze and sound of the surf below, hot water, outdoor garden showers, fine linens, Raw Botanicals organic bath products, and the most impressive views in the area. An oversized, open air Rancho provides a luxe “Glamping” experience with an honor bar and billiards table as well as dining and lounge area ample enough for all guests. The vanishing edge pool overlooks six miles of undeveloped beach and provides a front row seat to the most amazing stargazing under the canopy of the Milky Way! A full typical Costa Rican breakfast is served daily and a chef prepares dinner nightly for guests in the Rancho upon demand. The only Costa Rica owned and operated hotel in San Miguel, your hosts also own LocosCocos (#1 Restaurant in area, #1 Beach Bar in Costa Rica; Lonely Planet)which is a guest favorite for sunset dinners on the beach. It is also a great place to spend the day steps from the surf with cold beers and catch of the fresh fish and seafood ready at your beck and call! 4WD and love adventure required too reach this area! Reservations required-gated entrance for guests only. For best rates, book direct! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Cristal Azul reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cristal Azul Hotel Playa San Miguel
- Cristal Azul Costa Rica/Playa San Miguel