“Good food, great hangout” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Flying Scorpion - CLOSED

The Flying Scorpion
Cuisines: Italian, Japanese, American, Sushi, South American, Central American, Costa Rican
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Flying Scorpion is a restaurant and bar, as well as a hotel. I'm a guest, but helped them out with their Trip Advisor page for the hotel--I guess that I didn't set up the page right...the Scorpion should appear in listings both for hotels and for restaurants. Any questions, please contact me at jeremiah.marble@gmail.com. Thank you very much!
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Good food, great hangout”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

When we vacation in Guanacaste we stay at a house about 10 minutes away on the beach. But we never miss the opportunity to come and eat / hang out at the Flying Scorpion. This is the place to go whether on your first trip to Costa Rica, or if you want to hang out with the transplanted locals and get the true vibe of the area. The food is very good, I recommend the pizzas and the menu does vary based on availability, you know it's fresh! The drinks are good and it's also a good place to connect to the internet if you're missing that sort of thing, although hopefully you're coming to Costa Rica to get away to begin with.

The gem of this place though are the people, led by the owner Brandon Rossi. He is a fiercely loyal guy and once you've made friends with him he treats you like you're local as well. He will give you all of the inside scoop, set you up on tours, take you on tours himself, all while working hard to keep the place running and get in some surfing.
If you're looking for a sterile 5-star restaurant this is not the place. If you want good times, good friends, and the Costa Rican vibe of Pura Vida, go to The Flying Scorpion!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank ericB22

Conifer, Colorado
“Best food in the area hands down.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

The sushi and ice cream are to die for. I truly enjoyed hanging at the bar throwing back a few imperials napping in the hammocks and i'm a person that NEVER naps.

Visited December 2011
Nomad
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Recurringly Good Times”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

My folks have been living about five minutes from Playa San Miguel for a few years now, so it gives myself and those near and dear to me a good excuse to visit the area a couple of times a year. When you're out in the middle of nowhere in Costa Rica for the first time, you know you're going to see amazing things... but the question is whether you'll be forced to compromise when it comes to good food, a place to enjoy a drink, and so on. Shallow American that I am, I'll admit I was worried about this. Thus, when my mom informed me that "the nearest city is more than an hour away by truck, but we have a very neat place down by the beach that we go to all the time," I wasn't exactly thrilled.

The good news, if you're reading this review still, is that the Flying Scorpion banished those concerns the first time I arrived. The food is great; I've never left the place not stuffed or less than happy. On a lazy afternoon, the quesadillas and their stacked fries are perfect. In a broader sense, you can't beat a kitchen that cooks fish straight out of the ocean and meat and vegetables from literally around the hill.

The atmosphere is fun; even on my off-season visits, it's been a nice place to hang out right across from the beach. Considering that the Scorpion IS on the Costa Rican "frontier", if you will, you'll meet a wide, interesting cross-section of folks stopping by - from casual tourists to college students studying the local flora and fauna.

Literally the only "complaint" I can summon up is that, while the selection of booze is on par with any that of any bar, if beer is your game... you need to learn to enjoy Imperial and Pilsen. But in all honesty, if you find yourself in Playa San Miguel for a week... I seriously doubt that's going to affect your disposition.

Bottom line... if you somehow find yourself around Playa San Miguel, definitely give the Flying Scorpion a chance. Good times!

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank GreekoJTAC
Darien, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place for a frozen cocktail”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

Stopped in while we were staying nearby. Had a good lunch and a great frozen mudslide. We enjoyed the ambiance and the surfers hanging out, and we went back several times to take it easy under the shade of the outdoor bar and enjoy the ocean breeze.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Saverio F
New York City, New York
“Great spot, average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Had soggy quesadillas and average pizza. Should've gone with typical Costa Rican food. Cool atmosphere though and right on the beach.

Visited July 2012