“More mill than I expected!”

Dobson's Windmill & Heritage Centre
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: A 19th century windmill which was refurbished in 2014. A new H frame, repaired cap and new sails were included in the full restoration. This is a unique mill as it 'left handed'- the sails turn clockwise - and it has 5 sails. We are now demonstration milling regularly at the weekend. The informative heritage trail, outlining the history of Burgh le Marsh, enhances the visit and there are delicious homemade cakes for sale in the tearooms. Other displays complete your visit. The site is staffed by volunteers and therefore is not open every day but we can usually arrange a tour if you give us a call or drop us an email. We are now on Summer opening times, weather permitting. Please call to check Wednesday opening in early summer.
Lincolnshire, Illinois
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“More mill than I expected!”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I didn't expect to be shown round the mill when visiting on my own on a blustery Sunday but I was shown inside the mill by one volunteer and then shown the heritage centre by another. I had a warming coffee in the cosy cafe. There was much more I could have looked at and read so I'll have to go back!

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Fran B
brettonman, Treasurer at Dobson's Windmill & Heritage Centre, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you. We are now 'sailing' again and hoping to produce 'stone ground' flour soon.

Lincolnshire UK
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Best Ever Windmill Visit”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

No fee to enter and your actually guided around the mill with full explanation of the history and how a Windmill actually works, something I have not experienced at other mills. The volunteer guides are obviously pasionate about "their mill" and the talks are informative and delivered with humour. The sails are missing at the moment as there is full scale restoration in process apparently it should be fully working spring of 2014 which will be fantastic. There is also a very interesting heritage museum on site that has a stairlift if you need it, this museum is all about Burgh Le Marsh which is a gorgeous bustling village. There is a small tea room on site that sells hot & cold drinks, Ice Creams & delicious home baked cakes. Will definitely visit again and would recomend anyone to go.

Visited September 2013
3 Thank Chris L
Thank you. we are now fully operational and making flour (not for sale yet - hopefully during this year we shall be producing our own stone ground flour.)
Leicester, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“windmill”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

mostly only open on a Sunday afternoon and staffed by local volunteers , what a fab place to visit , the museum is small but very informative, and the five sailed windmill is a wonder to be seen and don't forget to have a tea or coffee at the little café and sample the home made cakes "yum yum"

Visited July 2013
1 Thank steve b
brettonman, Manager at Dobson's Windmill & Heritage Centre, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Thank you for your review. we have had a hectic 12 months with our complete refurbishment of the sails, the cap and other parts of the site. We are hoping to be grindig flour soon.
Edmond, OK
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Windmill of Learning”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The docent who showed me this windmill was wonderful. He spent well over an hour with just me to show me all the parts and history of the windmill and how it worked, as well as how they are working to restore the windmill so that they can hopefully get part of it running again. His colleague showed my friend and her granddaughter around other parts of the mill and the museum area while I learned about the windmill itself. I would highly recommend a visit if you don't know much about windmills. They are willing to answer any and all questions and are very knowledgeable.

Visited May 2013