“Beautiful setting and fantastic service.”
Review of Balbirnie House

Balbirnie House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Markinch
UK
“Beautiful setting and fantastic service.”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We had dinner in elegant The Orangery Restaurant using an Itison voucher. We were welcomed the minute we arrived and the service couldn't have been better.

The food was very good, from the welcome canopies, the starters, the soup (my delicious zingy gazpacho deserves a special mention) to the mains.

I had a tiny complaint with my spinach which was gritty but my chicken dish was full of flavour and my partner's pork belly almost floored him!

The desserts were again beautifully presented, my strawberry shortbread was a thing of great beauty.

We then retired to the sumptuous lounge for coffee and tablet, feeling very full and a bit spoilt!

We have had dinner here previously and I was curious to see if the fact we were dining out with a voucher would make a difference. I am delighted to say it did not and we were treated as welcome guests.

A great value dinner, we will definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NorthernHeatseeker
BalbirnieAdmin, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Dear NorthernHeatseeker, we are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to The Orangery, on the ITISON deal. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the entire team. It is very comforting indeed to have received such praise from A Senior Contributor.

Many establishments, when offering such deals, tend to provide a compromised offer. Not at Balbirnie, and I must say as well that we have been so delighted with the guest responses, certainly fabulous affordability!!!

That is just great that your partner enjoyed the Pork Belly creation as much! As I always say- a test of a really good chef is to create something remarkable from a humble ingredient.

It was very kind of you to take the time to write, much appreciated.

To read a further selection of our monthly guestbook comments and reviews, from guests known to have stayed in our hotel, or who have visited as a guest, please do take just a few moments to visit our web site.
From the many lovely emails, cards and letters which we receive, and in tandem with our guestbook records, every month we take a selection of those additional comments and place them on our latest news sections. As always, our thanks to Donna Reid from our reception team, who takes the time every month to collate all of those very lovely comments and reviews. These can of course be fully trusted, and accepted as reality.

If there is ever any element of guest dissatisfaction whatsoever, then I would always ask please that any guest with any complaint, no matter how small, contacts me personally to discuss.

Best wishes, Nicholas Russell/ General Manager/ Balbirnie House - 1992 - Present

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
st andrews
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We went to Balbirnie for a mini-honeymoon and had an excellent time. Rooms are a good size and well furnished. The public rooms are very impressive and inviting. We ate at the Bistro and enjoyed the food very much. Before we visited the staff were very attentive with answering emails.

A few things: Minor corrections to the rooms (small turned up wallpaper, bathroom lock a bit stiff) would turn good to perfect. A mistake was made with the bill, but staff explained a new system had been installed and the error was rectified quickly. The bistro restaurant downstairs can get very warm, but just ask for the fan to be turned on!

The overall experience of the country house and grounds was, however, superb.

NB: The craft centre within the grounds seems a bit empty. It would be great to see people in the studios again.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PeggyAB
Dear PittenweemCrab, we are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Balbirnie House. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the entire team.

That is great that you enjoyed The Bistro, (that area was converted from the original kitchens of the old house), and you are correct re temperature, we have climate control instantaneous.

I am sorry about the minor aspects re wallpaper, keeping up with wear and tear is a constant challenge for our maintenance team, who do of course have a rolling program throughout the year. It is a bit like painting the Forth Bridge!!!

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We had a meal in the Orangery restaurant. It was an excellent 4 course meal followed by coffee in the lounge. From start to finish everything was lovely. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly and the food was excellent. We will definitely be back for more!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Hello Jackie, and we are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to The Orangery, on the ITISON deal. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the entire team.

Fife
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We had a 4 course meal in the Orangery on Sunday via the Itison 2 for 1 deal and it was superb. From the minute we walked in at reception the staff were all very friendly and professional. We were shown to a table in the lounge and offered drinks and the dinner menu, after ordering our meal we were given canapes which were delicious. we were shown to our table in the lovely dining room and enjoyed every single thing we ate, it was lovely. After dinner we were taken through to another lounge where we had coffee and tablet, all part of the deal which was terrific value but even at full price it is still well worth the money. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2012

My wide and I married at Balbirnie and the whole experience was a pleasure. The staff especially were some of the best I have come across. The hotel is cosy and intimate, with lots of different rooms and areas to meet and mingle. Dinner in the Bistro and breakfast were both generous and delicious. It's easy to see why Balbirnie has been voted best wedding venue in Scotland so many times!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Stephen M
Hello Stephen, and we are absolutely delighted to hear that everything was commensurate with your expectations. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the entire team.

Dundee
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Having booked our wedding in Balbirnie for Aug. The good lady, her father and I sneaked over to the bistro for some lunch and to show him the grounds. Met with friendly welcoming staff, great service and a fantastic bistro menu which was great value. I sneaked the pudding option in which was a banoffe sundae eton mess type of wonder! Filled us with confidence for our big day in Aug as the food was a fantasic standard for a bistro. Ok it was a bit dull with the typical scottish weather but the grounds still looked fab and i'm assured they have sorted out sunshine for our day!!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank ArtB26
Nicholas R, Operations Manager at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 21 July 2012
Dear StewartieB

Thank you for your comments (and for sneaking through for lunch), I am delighted that you had a nice time (despite the Scottish weather) yeah the desserts are a treat to behold in my opinion also, I will pass your kind comments around the team.

As for the weather I have to admit that is out with our control sorry!! But regardless of the weather I am confident you will have a great day, I know we are certainly looking forward to it.

From the many lovely emails, cards and letters which we receive, and in tandem with our guestbook records, every month we take a selection of those additional comments and place them on our latest news sections. As always, our thanks to Sarah Rees from our reception team, who takes the time every month to collate all of those very lovely comments and reviews. These can of course be fully trusted, and accepted as reality.

We will see you all again very soon!

Kind regards

Robert Gray – Operations Manager
Reviewed 15 July 2012 via mobile

Had our wedding at Balbirnie on the 14th of July and we had an amazing time, the staff were first class, so helpful, nothing was too much trouble! They helped make our day all the more fantastic! The food was top notch too.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear Chefmarkymark

Thank you for taking time out to post your comments, much appreciated.

I was your toastmaster for the wedding so I am delighted to hear you had a good time, hard to believe that was a week ago!! Doesn’t time just fly by. I will pass on your kind comments to our team.

We look forward to seeing you both again soon.

Kind regards

Robert Gray – Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Markinch
Best Western Balgeddie House Hotel
Premier Inn Glenrothes Hotel
Old Manor Hotel
Old Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lundin Links

Been to Balbirnie House? Share your experiences!