“A wonderful hotel to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Balbirnie House

Balbirnie House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Markinch
Wetherby, United Kingdom
“A wonderful hotel to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

My wife and I travel widely and after much deliberation chose to make a first visit to the Balbirnie House Hotel to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and stayed for three nights, eating each evening in the Orangerie restaurant.

We have to say that we are so pleased that we chose the Balbirnie to mark our special occasion. Our late booking was handled very efficiently and we received a warm welcome on our arrival. The congratulations card from the staff was a lovely touch.

Every single member of staff we encountered, from Reception, to the young man at the bar for a pre-dinner drink, to the waiters and waitresses in the restaurant, to the room cleaning staff always had a smile on their faces and provided a warm, friendly yet very professional service.

When staying in a hotel there is usually something that you find not quite right and which could be improved a little, but this really did not apply to the Balbirnie in any way. It is that good.

Thankyou to the owner and every single member of staff for helping to make our special few days so memorable.

We hope to return at some stage and also hope that this honest and objective review helps other potential guests in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Hello Graham and Sue, congratulations once again on your 25th wedding anniversary, and on behalf of all at Balbirnie, many thanks for denoting a 5 Star review. We are just delighted to read your comments, thank you so much.

Please do let me know when you next intend to visit, so that we can ensure all arrangements are in order. As a small gesture of our best wishes, I will of course additionally be delighted to arrange a bottle of House Champagne for your return.

For all daily updates and photographs, competitions and offers, please do head on over and join The Balbirnie House Hotel Facebook page, we have almost 5,000 individuals who now receive Balbirnie’s Daily Updates, and exciting chat! This is now an accumulating historical archive of information, a celebration of life in and around Balbirnie. Our gratitude as always.

Twitter is now also very much an integral part of what we do, albeit somewhat more briefly stated than my TripAdvisor responses! I am myself on @BalbirnieHouse, our MC’s and Duty Managers are @DM_BALBIRNIE, and our Special Events and wedding planning dept. are @WeddingsBH – All talking daily about what goes into our complex operations, as well as the generalities of how wonderful it is to work within the hotel sector. Out front and also from behind the scenes…

To read a further selection of our monthly guestbook comments and reviews, from guests known to have stayed in our hotel, or who have visited as a guest, please do take just a few moments to visit our main web site. (We also list these on a monthly basis on Facebook.)

From the many lovely emails, presents, cards and letters which we receive, and in tandem with our guestbook records, every month we take a selection of those additional comments and place them on our latest news Guest Comment sections. As always, our thanks to Donna Reid from our reception team, who takes the time every month to collate all of those very lovely comments and reviews. These can of course be fully trusted, and accepted as reality.

If there is ever any element of guest dissatisfaction whatsoever, then I would always ask please that any guest with any legitimate complaint, no matter how small, contacts me personally to discuss. (If we have ever made an error, and it can sometimes happen, then we would always appreciate an opportunity to redeem your perspective. Mistakes are however quite rare, as any reader can see from the overview of our reviews!)

Best wishes from all at Balbirnie, Nicholas Russell/ General Manager/ Balbirnie House - 1992 – Present

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

We decided to book the Bistro at Balbirnie for a thank you meal with my parents after they had looked after our animals while we were on holiday. We have eaten in the orangery previously and the food there is of much better quality. Don't get me wrong, I know they are two completely different types of restaurant but I expected the same quality of food from both. I always find the staff there very accommodating, I had asked for a table with padded seats as opposed to wooden as I don't have a good back and a hard chair would have been uncomfortable. This was no problem and we were shown to a lovely table with comfy chairs. Service was really good, most of the girls always had a smile and every request was accommodated. The food was what really let the experience down for most of us. My husband and mother both didn't enjoy their steak especially after my mother asking for her's to be medium/well done and it arrived bloody. Even after sending it back it still returned bloody just a little burned on the outside! The chef should be more accommodating to an individuals preference and not his own. Frozen chips!! I couldn't believe it, I don't even eat these at home so certainly do not expect to have them served at a restaurant such as Balbirnie. The Bistro was also so hot I started to feel unwell and couldn't eat my main course, thankfully the waitress offered to package it so I could take it home. Overall it was lovely to be out with the family and the setting is certainly lovely but the quality of the food really did let it down. Quite disappointing.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jennifer R
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Hello Jennifer, and sorry to read your comments. I must say I am surprised at your remarks regarding your steak, as we believe these - for 2 decades supplied by Henderson's Butchers - to be simply the best in the land. Additionally, we are 100% satisfied as to the methodology of cooking, and I would like to mention that there is a differential between charring and burning!!!

You say 'The Chef should be more accommodating to an individual's preference and not his own'. That comment is totally untrue and you are misguided in that regard. As has always been the case at Balbirnie, we are absolutely delighted to cook and serve a steak to any preference of any customer. I have no hesitation in confirming this is the case.

Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

We went (and stayed) for a wedding at Balbirnie. It was a nice enough place, a bit out the way but that's half the charm. The check-in desk seems quite a confused place, I phoned several times and staff always seemed new or unsure about bookings, but were quick to deal with me once I arrived. While friendly the service was very functional, no one for example welcomed us to Balbirnie. This is not a complain but it is interesting that as a group we noticed this and thought it was a shame, it would have made a difference. The food was very good, throughout the stay, and our Suite certainly had a wow factor. Overall this is a nice hotel, and it certainly was a fantastic venue for a wedding but the little details such as service let them down.

Room Tip: Get a Suite some of them are beautiful, especially if you stay for more than a night.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Hello TyrnLex, and many thanks for posting your comments. Delighted to hear that the food was considered good, the suite had Wow, and that you consider we are a fantastic wedding venue, that much is excellent to hear.

With regard to being 'out the way', and for the benefit of any readers who may gain an impression that we are in a remote area - we are in actual fact in the very heart of The Kingdom of Fife, just half an hour from all of Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Perth and Dundee. This is one of the most wonderful (and central) trading locations in the whole of Scotland. For the benefit of London clients, I mention that we are additionally located a few minutes from Kirkcaldy rail station, on the main Kings Cross to Aberdeen train line!

You are correct in saying we do not have a specific individual who stands eg on the front steps to extend an initial welcome. We aren't large enough to justify, and if this is something you wish for TyrnLex, on a next visit to Scotland I would highly recommend Edinburgh's Balmoral Hotel, as they do offer that. At Balbirnie our team of duty front desk team do of course extend a warmth of welcome of hospitality as always. Additionally, as you would have seen, we always have Duty Management in charge of welcoming all guests, taking food orders, liaising with all guests, and so on. In any event, I am disheartened if we failed to meet your expectations in any shape or form. With 105 individuals on our company payroll, Balbirnie is a vibrant hotel. With the scale of what we deal with we do not operate with a notion of having any one specific 'Host', opting instead to align our management and hospitality across an initial span of myself, 3 MC's, and a team of Duty Managers.

For the last 21 years I have been conveying to our brigade on a daily basis, (a) Today is not a Dress Rehearsal for Tomorrow, and (b) the customer pays the wages! It is on that basis that we work …
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Our son and daughter in law chose Balbirnie as their wedding venue and we all had an excellent experience. Service second to none and staff very attentive. All family and friends who attended and also stayed overnight have commented on how wonderful and memorable the occasion was. Many treasured memories of the day testament to the wonderful venue and staff who made sure everything was tailored to the Bride and Grooms requests. Shona was the MC on the day and was always on hand to support. Thank you all for making it all happen as your success is truly is down to your people. Proud Parents x

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank mrssmurph
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Hello Mrssmurph,
Thank you so much for your kind comments. I see you must have joined TripAdvisor, as this is your first review. Welcome to the Party!

I also see that you have titled your review 'Amazing Wedding Venue'. Well Mrssmurph - I will unashamedly agree with you. We are so proud of everything achieved over the years, and we continue to evolve.

Just yesterday for example, I purchased a quite stunning James Stuart Park (renowned Scottish painter 1862 - 1933) - an original oil painting - 'Red and White Roses in a Glass' - and this is now hanging pride of place above the fireplace in Balbirnie's East Room. I would imagine a few photographers will wish to use that as an additional portrait backdrop, and onwards we go. A steadily accumulating heritage!

So happy to hear that the special day was a success. Shucks - thank you also for highlighting MC Shona, that is now a recurring theme on this web site. And you are absolutely correct - in this wonderful trade that is the hotel and hospitality sector, it is Always people driven. I am blessed as a manager to have so many truly wonderfully committed hoteliers within the brigade.

We are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Balbirnie House so much. It was very kind of you to take the time to write, much appreciated.

Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We were her to attend a surprise 50th wedding anniversary for my parents. The organisation (not by me) was handled brilliantly as was the function and keeping the family informed when the guests of honour arrived. The staff went out of there way to look after us all and everyone had a great night. We also stayed over as did my parents in the honeymoon suite. All the rooms were huge and elegantly furnished in the style of the property. It is a great old building in lovely surroundings. I lived near this place for 20yrs and never stepped foot in it what a shame, hope more locals try it out.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Hello TallThinBloke, many thanks for your kind comments, on behalf of all at Balbirnie, thank you for denoting a 5 Star review, and noted from a Senior Reviewer.

For the benefit of readers, I would highlight that not all of our bedrooms are huge, but all are equipped to the same standard.

As a vibrant hotel, sometimes with 500 guests visiting in one day, we can sometimes make an occasional error, and it is very nice to hear when we have completely delivered or exceeded guest expectations, as that is certainly always the endeavour. And whilst we set out to convey a real warmth of welcome of Scottish hospitality, let us not try to take ourselves too seriously! That latter thought is perhaps why we have all of 105 in our employ, usually smiling!

You have stated that Balbirnie is a great old building. Well, I wouldn't disagree with that. Grade A Listed of National and International importance. And to quote from the 1845 Statistical Account for Scotland (we have this quote in our staff induction pack) - 'Balbirnie is surpassed by few houses North of The Tweed'.

All the best to you Sir, and lovely to see - against a backdrop of TripAdvisor sometimes attracting polar opposites, that we are at the most positive end of your considerations.

For all daily updates and photographs, please do head on over and join our Facebook page. (Also now on Twitter personally, talking daily about what goes into our operations, just click Follow.)

From the many lovely emails, cards and letters which we receive, and in tandem with our guestbook records, every month we take a selection of those additional comments and place them on our latest news Guest Comment sections. As always, our thanks to Donna Reid from our reception team, who takes the time every month to collate all of those very lovely comments and reviews. These can of course be fully trusted, and accepted as reality.

If there is ever any element of guest dissatisfaction whatsoever, then I would always ask please that any guest with any complaint, no matter how small, contacts me personally to discuss.

Best wishes, Nicholas Russell/ General Manager/ Balbirnie House - 1992 – Present
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

We recently had the pleasure yet again to have lunch at the Balbirnie to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. Our little lunch party included my husband's elderly mother and his cousin. From the very onset the service was outstanding. The attention to detail was exceptional throughout the meal with constant attention from the staff. The presentation and quantity of the food was amazing so much so that my husband's elderly mother is still raving on about the entire experience. . Thank you all so much a wonderful dining experience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Hello Ann C,
Thank you so much for your kind comments, it really is just wonderful to arrive at work first thing on a Monday morning, psychologically preparing as it were for this week's next thousand or so guests, and to read your very encouraging comments. Our most sincere gratitude, and also for additionally denoting a 5 Star Review. We are overjoyed to hear that the 40th wedding anniversary celebrations met with your expectations.

Early in 2013 we completely overhauled the methodology of the many offerings for private room dining, Garden Room, West Room, Orangery, Chef's Table and Bistro, and I must say - we are ourselves absolutely delighted with how these are working for our customers. Especially aligned to celebrations, anniversaries, christenings, milestone personal dates, and specialised corporate entertainment. These have received the full attentions of a combination of yours truly, Exec Chef Mark Lindsey, and company director the very lovely Rosemary Spenke, who - I mention in passing - was previously the Special Events Planner within London's 5 Red Star Berkeley Hotel in Knightsbridge! - a few years ago, now entering 14th year at Balbirnie!

We are especially delighted with the way that we have aligned evening private room dining to the exact same concept as that which is offered in The Orangery, a four course feature menu, including canapés, coffee and tablet to finish. £36.50 pp

Also, we are seeing more and more requests to use The Balbirnie Bistro on a private basis. I suspect this is additionally driven by truly wonderful value. Subject only to minimum numbers - We can do this for lunch at £10.95 pp for 3 courses!!! And for dinner - at £22.50 pp for 3 courses!!!

Please do feel free to head on over to our main web site and download our 'Private Dining Pack'.

fife
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Attended my daughter and son in laws wedding here October 2013 and what can I say but "what a venue". From the minute we arrived until the moment we left the staff and service we received was exceptional. The Master of Ceremony that day, (Shona) made sure that everything ran smoothly and to plan. We reserved various rooms for wedding guests, from the bridal suite, suites, deluxe rooms doubles and singles and I can say that all were decorated to their own individual high standard. Feedback from our guests has been brilliant, all complimenting the Balbirnie for its top quality service and for making them feel special that day. We have had no negative feedback at all so can only presume that guests enjoyed the meal and buffet. The ballroom was magnificent that day with its purple uplights and of course the twinkly dance floor giving it a very romantic feel. The gardens were fantastic as ever and made a brilliant backdrop for the wedding photographs as did the house itself. If anyone is looking for a special venue for a wedding or celebration I would highly recommend Balbirnie House.

Room Tip: The suites and deluxe rooms are huge and well worth the little extra. Guests with elderly relatives...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank FifePaddy
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Hello FifePaddy,
On behalf of all at Balbirnie -currently numbering 105 on payroll - we thank you most sincerely for your kind comments and 5 Star Review.

Absolutely delighted to hear that the wedding was a success, and that one and all enjoyed the special occasion. Thank you also for singling out and mentioning the very lovely Shona Laing, who will be overjoyed to see such a complimentary remark out here in the public domain. Shona started at Balbirnie many years ago and worked through our kitchens under the auspices of Alan Gibb (now Exec Chef Gleneagles), before then stepping out front as manager in charge of 1999's opening of The Millennium Ballroom. A few years then spent working through the ranks in the kitchens of a large hotel in France, before returning to Balbirnie earlier this year. A hotelier through and through, and we are blessed indeed to have Shona out front as one of our three MC's.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Markinch
BEST WESTERN Balgeddie House Hotel
Premier Inn Glenrothes Hotel
Old Manor Hotel
Old Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lundin Links

Been to Balbirnie House? Share your experiences!