“Wonderful stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Markinch
cheshire
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stayed 14th December for Dinner & overnight stay for 45th wedding anniversary The house is stunning and the Christmas decorations were tasteful and in keeping with the surroundings especially the chef's Gingerbread House!
Upgraded beautiful room, dinner and breakfast were excellent, super quality and choice
All staff were efficient, welcoming, very attentive and friendly. Although extremely busy, there was no drop in the standards of service, Well done Balbirnie!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Hello Priestlandfour, and our gratitude for your kind comments, we are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Balbirnie House. (This year's Gingerbread House was made by Pastry Chef Paula, it was indeed quite something.)

Christmas at Balbirnie - such a special time of year. I must say as well, we were over the moon with this year's festive decorations.

We are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Balbirnie House so much. It was very kind of you to take the time to write, much appreciated.

For all daily updates and photographs, competitions and offers, please do head on over and join The Balbirnie House Hotel Facebook page, we have more than 5,000 individuals who now receive Balbirnie’s Daily Updates, and exciting chat! This is now an accumulating historical archive of information, a celebration of life in and around Balbirnie. Our gratitude as always.

Twitter is now also very much an integral part of what we do, albeit somewhat more briefly stated than my TripAdvisor responses! I am myself on @BalbirnieHouse, our MC’s and Duty Managers are @DM_BALBIRNIE - All talking daily about what goes into our complex operations, as well as the generalities of how wonderful it is to work within the hotel sector. Out front and also from behind the scenes…

To read a further selection of our monthly guestbook comments and reviews, from guests known to have stayed in our hotel, or who have visited as a guest, please do take just a few moments to visit our main web site. (We also list these on a monthly basis on Facebook.)

From the many lovely emails, presents, cards and letters which we receive, and in tandem with our guestbook records, every month we take a selection of those additional comments and place them on our latest news Guest Comment sections. As always, our thanks to Donna Reid from our reception team, who takes the time every month to collate all of those very lovely comments and reviews. These can of course be fully trusted, and accepted as reality.

If there is ever any element of guest dissatisfaction whatsoever, then I would always ask please that any guest with any legitimate complaint, no matter how small, contacts me personally to discuss. (If we have ever made an error, and it can sometimes happen, then we would always appreciate an opportunity to redeem your perspective. Mistakes are however quite rare, as any reader can see from the overview of our reviews!)

Best wishes from all at Balbirnie, Nicholas Russell/ General Manager/ Balbirnie House - 1992 – Present

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Just back from a fantastic Christmas party and stay at Balbirnie. The staff at reception couldn't have been more helpful and the spacious rooms were absolutely stunning. Although the colour scheme was the same in each room, some of the beds were on platforms, some had canopies, some had ornate fireplaces making each room individual.The meal at the party was delicious and the carvery was amazing with a huge variety of dishes to suit everyone's taste. Staff were super efficient and couldn't do enough to help, always checking if everything was OK The food was served very quickly and was piping hot. In the past we have tried several party nights at other more expensive St Andrews hotels and this one was far far better! Really can't recommend Balbirnie highly enough!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank madspanielwoman
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Hello MadSpanielWoman - what a wonderfully encouraging review from an occasion which took place on Friday 13th!!! Delighted to hear that the overnight stay and Ballroom Party Night were enjoyed so much. This year all party nights were fully booked by July, so book early to avoid disappointment ... I shall circulate your comments to all at Balbirnie House, all best wishes and we look forward to welcoming you back.

For all daily updates and photographs, competitions and offers, please do head on over and join The Balbirnie House Hotel Facebook page, we have almost 5,000 individuals who now receive Balbirnie’s Daily Updates, and exciting chat! This is now an accumulating historical archive of information, a celebration of life in and around Balbirnie. Our gratitude as always.

Twitter is now also very much an integral part of what we do, albeit somewhat more briefly stated than my TripAdvisor responses! I am myself on @BalbirnieHouse, our MC’s and Duty Managers are @DM_BALBIRNIE, and our Special Events and wedding planning dept. are @WeddingsBH – All talking daily about what goes into our complex operations, as well as the generalities of how wonderful it is to work within the hotel sector. Out front and also from behind the scenes…

Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We held a Long Service Awards dinner at Balbirnie House Hotel and were very well looked after from the point of booking, through various changes to our arrangements and throughout the night itself. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and understood that such a large group tend to move at their own pace! The food was lovely, the room was beautifully set and the atmosphere relaxed.
Thank you.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Hello VJS7, and many thanks for your 5 Star review. Absolutely delighted to hear that the Long Service dinner went so well. The formats we are working with for private room dining are working extremely well this year, and I anticipate more of the same for 2014. It was very kind of you to post such a kind review.

Moray, Scotland
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Balbirnie is a beautiful Georgian building with public rooms which have been tastefully decorated to match the period. I thought my room was spacious, comfortable and decorated to a high standard. I thought the absence of a gym was disappointing in a hotel of this size, but the grounds are huge and offer options to walk or run. Staff were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Dinner did not have the wow factor I was expecting. The menu choice was good and the food was reasonable, but i would return for the hotel and staff rather than the dining experience. Breakfast was excellent.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Hello Boondoggler, and many thanks for your kind comments, very much appreciated by all at Balbirnie House, and we shall look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Please do let me know when you intend to return. All best wishes.

Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Part of a works Xmas party on 7th December at Balbirnie and it exceeded all our expectations.
Reception was excellent as was the meal, service, the Dj providing the entertainment also kept the night lively. 9 out of 10, dropped a point as my wife marked her shoes on the gravel entrance leading up to the hotel. It was explained to me as it is a listed building they cannot upgrade it to a hard standing entrance. Apart from that, first class venue.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Hello David, many thanks for your kind comments, and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Party. The Party nights this year were fully booked by July, so book early to avoid disappointment... Wonderful celebrations.

Writing as at 12 December the festive season is well underway. The house is looking at it's best in history and we've had many lovely comments about this year's festive decorations, lots of small touches here and there. It is certainly beginning to feel a lot like Christmas .... :-)

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

After an 8 hour drive the hotel had lost the information that my wife was disabled and so we had to accept room 301 which was virtually in the attic. There were 17 points wrong with the room which were all covered in our next hotel. But most importantly there were no fire escape instructions in the room. I found that the main fire exit was down the corridor and was the main staircase up onto the floor. It looked as though it was made of wood. So back to the room the windows were high and too small to escape through or for any rescue services to help us out. When we left I spoke to the duty manager who gave me a copy of the fire certificate saying how good they were - signed by the hotel Managing Director. I wrote to the hotel outlining my concerns and had a standard whitewash reply quoting how good they were in the brochure. At which I wrote to the Managing Director to which I had an aggressive reply ending up with the words I quote 'cease...pointless tirade'. I have spoken to the fire services in Fife and Bedford and they all say this situation is unacceptable and yet the Balbirnie say they have passed all their checks. Maybe, but I shall not be risking my life and that of my wife in what I consider an unsafe environment. To all hoteliers, having stayed in over 140 different countries in my life, on arrival at a new hotel check your fire exits and use them if possible because if there is a fire there will be smoke and seeing fire exits signs will be difficult.

Room Tip: Rooms at the top of the hotel are very poor value
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank BillJago073
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Well, as can be seen, TripAdvisor can certainly sometimes provide a polar opposite. In this case, a sad set of totally unfair, unhinged and misleading comments which rather unfortunately depart from reality.

Fortunately, albeit beset by vagaries, TripAdvisor does provide the opportunity for us to at least factually correct matters.

In response firstly to yourself Mr Jago, resident 18 – 20 October 2010. Your reservation was part of a Group Booking, collectively made by one individual point of contact. Having reviewed correspondence, we have no record whatsoever of any request for disabled facility having been made by our reservation contact. For the avoidance of any doubt, had we been in receipt of that request, we would have sought to have provided a specially adapted bedroom on the ground floor.

Furthermore, your comment regarding being in receipt of a Fire Certificate is incorrect. Our Duty Manager – having listened to your comments, thought it would be most helpful to provide you with a copy of most recent internal correspondence portraying the overview of our most recent annual inspections, and how wonderfully up-to-date such matters are in an across the board spectrum, across the entire Grade A Listed premises. We had hoped this would logically have helped you feel entirely at ease.

You say your room was almost in the attic? This house does not have an attic. We do however have an entire floor of bedrooms on the 3rd floor.

For the benefit of readers I highlight that this ‘review’ in itself hits the nail on the head. To repeat what the writer has himself stated - I also confirm that each and every part of the operational layout of the entire premises is indeed fully compliant with the requirements of Fife Fire and Rescue. There are different fire escape routes from all floors, fully compliant.

That is why, after numerous members of our management team were harangued by this individual in an accumulating, ongoing and rather concerning way, in turn I really was left with no alternative other than to simply request that the individual concerned cease from a pointless tirade.

In summary - The layout of the premises is fully compliant, so there is no underpinning cause for debate in that regard.

Sometimes the customer is not always right. This is one of those cases.

In these contexts I therefore have nothing further to add.

Nicholas Russell / MD Balbirnie
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

This was my second time staying here and I can't say enough great things. Old castle that has been renovated but has kept its character while bringing in luxury comfort. Maybe the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, great linens and great pillows. The breakfast in the morning is excellent (Tea, Black Pudding, and Fried Eggs) and a perfectly drawn Guinness in the evening makes for a great day. Highly recommend the Steamed Mussels at the Bistro. Don't miss a great place to stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Hello Bill, on behalf of all at Balbirnie, our sincere gratitude for your very kind comments and 5 Star review, noted from a Senior Reviewer from Arizona.

Just one detail to highlight, Balbirnie is not a castle!!! The house is a Georgian mansion, circa 1777, Grade A Listed as national and international importance.

Great to hear that you enjoyed your Mussels and Guinness, and that your stay was comfortable. Just lovely.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Markinch
Lomond Hills Hotel
#2 of 16 in St Andrews
Travelodge Glenrothes
Travelodge Glenrothes
#2 of 9 in Glenrothes

Been to Balbirnie House? Share your experiences!