We stayed recently, having booked a special package, dinner, bed and breakfast.
Upon arrival, we were warmly greeted and advised we had been allocated a bridal room, rather than our standard double room.
The room was nice and was very large and spacious, with a 4 poster bed and decorated in a classic theme. However, there were small signs of this room being tired and in need of modernisation and redecoration.
The bed was very comfortable and made for a good nights sleep, but the rooms do require better sound proofing. It was very easy to hear people in the room next door, and people passing by in the corridor, and light from the hallway shines through under the door.....
We had dinner in the restaurant and it was the 1st night of their new festive menu. Restaurant was very quiet, as only 2 other tables were taken during the 90mins we were there. We found it strange we were seated opposite the door facing into the restaurant, rather than one of the many other tables which faced out the windows with a view......
Staff were friendly and helpful, without being intrusive. Food arrived promptly and well presented and tasted fine. However, it seemed to be missing any real wow factor..... We had been expecting a bit more from reviews we had read.
Breakfast in the morning was self service and we helped ourselves to a full Scottish breakfast. Bacon, sausages and black pudding were all good quality and tasted excellent.
I would stay again if passing through the area, but I would recommend asking for room at end of corridor to avoid room noise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Balbirnie House is a quite unique multi-award winning country house hotel which combines understated luxury with superb service and outstanding value. Widely acknowledged as one of the finest of the privately owned small luxury hotels in Scotland, Balbirnie offers a wonderful experience, whatever the occasion of your visit. Fine food, lovely surroundings and above all a real sense of friendly Scottish hospitality combine to create quite a unique setting for today’s house guests to enjoy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Balbirnie House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Balbirnie House Hotel Markinch
- Balbirnie House Markinch, Fife