“Another good visit.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Markinch
Perth, United Kingdom
“Another good visit.”
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for our 7th anniversary, we go every other year as we were married at the hotel. The hotel hasn't changed much in that time which I think is a nice thing obviously doing a good job keeping up with maintenance as the hotel doesn't look tired. We had a few small issues in the room which we noted on the comment card but nothing that would stop us returning. Had dinner in the restaurant and food was fantastic very well made with lovely flavours. Staff were all very friendly and helpful in particular Arthurs who was working the bar. Look forward to returning.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChickyBirdie
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Hello ChickyBirdie, and many thanks for denoting such a lovely set of comments. Please DM when you are staying next year, Cocktails on the house!

And all the best on your 7th Anniversary. It is always so wonderful to welcome back previous brides and grooms. Very romantic, all best wishes.

Delighted to see an acknowledgement that we remain on top of refurbishments. Dear TripAdvisor Readers, I can confirm that is indeed the case. 40 areas done last year, and 3 already completed this year, and on it goes, never-ending - Just like re-painting The Forth Bridge, before somebody invented paint which lasts longer than the time it take to paint the whole thing. And by the way - the party to celebrate that very achievement was held under this very roof!!!

Refurbishments? I sit typing this in my office, surrounded today by boxes of Laura Ashley wallpapers. Oh, and also some wallpaper from Barneby Gates - rock and roll if I may say so- design elements there via ex Living Editor of Vogue. Deer skulls and thistles, antique gold over duck egg blue, all heading into the Library Bar, with brand new Duck egg blue and tartan Abraham Moon fabrics, manufacturing by Holloway Interiors. We cannot wait to see the finished results.

(We had an unfortunate review below from a lady who caught the very tail end of last years 2 remaining bedroom wallpaper and paint refurbs. I confirm those 2 bedrooms are now also completed.)

Balbirnie House is currently presented to it's very best in history, and moving ahead we shall not shy from that ongoing commitment and investment. This year alone, from diary bookings we can for example see that we may end up catering for circa 175 large weddings, and naturally we wish the presentation of Balbirnie to always be at the very best we can create.

For all daily updates and photographs, competitions and offers, please do head on over and join The Balbirnie House Hotel Facebook page, we have more than 5,000 individuals who now receive Balbirnie’s Daily Updates, and exciting chat! This is now an accumulating historical archive of information, a celebration of life in and around Balbirnie. Our gratitude as always.

Twitter is now also very much an integral part of what we do, albeit somewhat more briefly stated than my TripAdvisor responses! I am myself on @BalbirnieHouse, our MC’s and Duty Managers are @DM_BALBIRNIE - All talking daily about what goes into our complex operations, as well as the generalities of how wonderful it is to work within the hotel sector. Out front and also from behind the scenes…

To read a further selection of our monthly guestbook comments and reviews, from guests known to have stayed in our hotel, or who have visited as a guest, please do take just a few moments to visit our main web site. (We also list these on a monthly basis on Facebook.)

From the many lovely emails, presents, cards and letters which we receive, and in tandem with our guestbook records, every month we take a selection of those additional comments and place them on our latest news Guest Comment sections. As always, our thanks to Donna Reid from our reception team, who takes the time every month to collate all of those very lovely comments and reviews. These can of course be fully trusted, and accepted as reality.

If there is ever any element of guest dissatisfaction whatsoever, then I would always ask please that any guest with any legitimate complaint, no matter how small, contacts me personally to discuss. (If we have ever made an error, and it can sometimes happen, then we would always appreciate an opportunity to redeem your perspective. Mistakes are however quite rare, as any reader can see from the overview of our reviews!)

Best wishes from all at Balbirnie, Nicholas Russell/ General Manager/ Balbirnie House - 1992 – Present

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Many thanks to all at Balbirnie who work so hard to make our once - a - year Ball so good, as always it was wonderful, a chance to get all dressed up with 7 hours of great food, entertainment and meeting of old (and new) friends. I really enjoyed the vegetarian meal I had, it was delish and I could barely manage the trio of desserts to finish! Somehow the hours to the bells go very quickly - better than sitting at home watching TV - only minor comments from our table were that we liked the old organisation with the table wines and also the dancers among us wanted a slower dance or two - showing our age now I'm afraid! All in all a night we wouldn't miss - top marks Balbirnie.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Mazza51, thank you so much for your kind comments, and we are really over the moon to read your comments, denoting a 5 Star review. The Hogmanay Ball is certainly a one-off, and an occasion which we like to also view as a celebration of the year gone by, and the year about to start anew.

(Comments noted re dancing, and this year we've already made plans to have a final check over with the set lists. Next time around we'll perhaps be swapping The Ramones 'Sheena is a Punk Rocker' for something along the lines of Daft Punk's 'Get Lucky' ...!)

It really is lovely to hear your comments about the veggie aspects of the 5 course celebratory meal. Again, that is an aspect which Balbirnie's Exec Chef and brigade like to focus on, especially (as we saw again this year) if the entire brigade are to come out on parade, take a glass of bubbly, and then a so very well deserved round of applause. It is certainly a busy few weeks which take us up to The Ball.

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We attended Balbirnie House for our Nephew's wedding. The house sits in many acres of land and provides some excellent walks without going out. The wedding organisation was second to none with excellent food and excellent service. Breakfast on both days was of good quality and plentiful. The room was clean and tidy, although like most old properties, perhaps could do with a lick of paint. The social areas, including the bar were comfortable with many different places to sit and relax.

I would recommend the location for a weekend away or indeed for something more important like a wedding.

Room Tip: The hotel is away from the road so no noise. All rooms we saw were similar in quality
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Hello Ian, and delighted to hear that the wedding was a success. Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement.

And isn't it just wonderful Dear Readers, that our Friends at TripAdvisor have taken the time to check these comments for factual accuracy - before allowing them to be freely posted in the public domain, just like they do with all 'reviews' - Not.

UK
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We attended a wedding here. Every detail and every member of staff ensured that all attendees were catered for at the highest level of professionalism. The day was relaxed, yet ran like clockwork. Well done and thank you.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear yeryanonthemove, thank you so much for your kind comments. We are delighted to hear that the wedding was Ab Fab, and that is certainly in terms of clockwork how we are looking to continue to proceed with 2014, from diary bookings this is without doubt going to be Party Central's busiest year on record ever, for weddings in particular.

Per comments previous 'review', a good job then that Rooms 102 and 103, as final phase of current refurbishment, are set to complete next week.

We are very grateful for the denoting of 5 Stars all round, especially from such a qualified Senior Contributor. As you have projected such positivity out there into the great ether, I am sure it'll go full circle and come right back to you at some point! .... All best wishes, and our sincere gratitude.

Dear Readers, interested in getting married in 2014? Please do refer to our main web site, click through on 'Weddings' and then 'Late Availability'. Looking for an excuse - there it is!

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I booked three rooms for three nights for myself and my family over Christmas and was hugely disappointed (we were in rooms 101 to 103). I don't know where Balbirnies management got the photographs of the rooms for their website but they certainly didn't reflect the rooms that we were allocated which were absolutely dreadful. The room my husband and I were in (103) was badly in need of a facelift, there was barely room to turn round in the bathroom, the window didn't lock shut which made me extremely uneasy at night as anyone could have gotten into our room (and meant that since there wasn't a room safe that I had to carry my jewellery box around with me for the whole three days). The window frames were rotting and the whole room was tatty and grubby looking (I've taken photographs in the event that Balbirnie's management wish to dispute my claims). To get to our rooms we had to go past a stairway which seemed to be a repository for surplus tables and chairs and the whole area stank of stale cooking. We've visited many lovely country house hotels and whilst you expect these types of properties to have a certain 'shabby chic' look to them this was just plain shabby and grubby. There were some good aspects to our trip, the grounds are beautiful, the food in the dining room in the evenings was exceptionally good as was the service at the reception desk - sadly the bar service was slow, breakfast service was terrible and on Christmas day we had to wait over an hour between courses for our Christmas lunch. To add insult to injury My mother managed to rip the pocket on her jacket on a nail which was sticking out of the door from the bar. Balbirnie could be a lovely country house hotel but sadly it's much in need of a face lift and and in no way does it reflect its four star status (to my mind it doesn't even merit three stars).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Bev M
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Hello Bev M, and I would firstly like to say that we are quite thrilled to hear that you considered our food to be exceptionally good, our grounds beautiful, and that our front desk team delivered a level of service which met your expectations. We are over the moon to receive such welcome compliments.

We are however very saddened and most surprised at the overview of your comments, which arrive following what has been our most wonderful festive season ever, in terms of guest comments received. Please do refer to our Facebook pages. Last few weeks we have certainly had thousands of delighted guests …

Categorically - I am so sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your accommodation. Over the last 15 years I have written cheques in excess of £5M maintaining and improving the fabric of Balbirnie’s assets – a never-ending commitment to the Grade A Listed House. During 2013 our ongoing refurbishment program was fully maintained as usual, and indeed somewhat accelerated even more than we are accustomed to. Dear Readers, please do feel free to refer to our Facebook posts of 14 January, 40 photographs from around the house each showing a different individual area brand newly refurbished (all only in relation to front-of-house, behind the scenes is another further ongoing commitment, (indeed – as are our gardens and grounds), The factual evidence speaks for itself, and additionally, same date please refer to our similar post with snaps of 9 of our favourite new introductions made during 2013.

Having already been fitted with brand new carpets (same as all hotel bedrooms) Room 103 was scheduled for additional refreshed decorative completion early December, but our program became delayed, as our decorators decided to head to The Caribbean for a month’s holiday! No doubt that joins the list of classic hotelier TripAdvisor quotes and excuses. Not any excuse on my part, but such can be life. Hotel bedrooms usually have a lifespan of 6-8 years. We are accustomed to having to refurb circa 5 years, given the level of occupancy, and the level of great wear and tear from what can be excessive partying, and I certainly acknowledge that room 103 was at the tail end of the 5 year refurb.

Our apologies for room 103 (and room 102) being presented in any way to a standard which does not match every other bedroom – and what we are taking about with these 2 rooms is wallpaper and paint finish, as the rooms have already received brand new carpets. What we are talking about here is final 2 bedrooms which have had refurbishment marginally delayed. Of Balbirnie’s bedrooms, room 103 and immediate neighbor 102 are currently the final phase 2013 refurbishment program. And in passing – not that I can reverse the hands of time with this ‘review’, Facebook album above already shows a snap of decorators this week with 102 already stripped down and in progress. 103 finishes later this week!!!!!!! Dear Readers, please do note the decorator’s Caribbean sun tan!!!!!!!

Please note – Room 101 is not in any need of refurbishment, as it is in quite excellent order.

Turning now to other matters you have highlighted.

Let us start with Christmas lunch. An hour between courses? Setting aside canapés, and the service of bread, for a 4 course meal, allowing time for each course, and an hour in between, by my calculation that would perhaps take your meal as heading for 5 hours? Upon reviewing our CCTV records, from your arrival in the Orangery at 2.13pm onwards, we served 4 courses and coffee in circa 2 hours and 45 minutes. I don’t think that is at all unacceptable for what is intended as a very relaxed and non-rushed Christmas Day celebratory lunch, especially given that our routine service was interrupted by the fact that you and one of your companion's kept leaving the table in between every single course – with dishes on each occasion having to be returned back to the kitchens to be ‘refreshed’ as you weren’t at the table. That is no inconvenience to us whatsoever, we are well accustomed to working around such matters, I merely state the facts to correct your recollection, which I am afraid is not consistent with reality. Additionally, the comment passed about the old staircase and cooking smells is simply 100% impossible – as we don't even have any kitchens on that wing of the building.

And with regard to your suggestion about Balbirnie needing a Facelift? What absolute nonsense. Dear Readers – any inspection of our entire premises most welcome, I am very confident in saying that we are accustomed to maintaining a level of presentation across the entire spectrum, which meets the standards of AA 4 Red Stars, let alone routine of standard 4 Stars. It is unfortunate that in the context of this review that the 2 bedrooms in question were behind schedule, and as I say – that is now absolutely 100% remedied. I must say I am particularly delighted with the new wallpapers in both of these rooms, 103 in Laura Ashley Kimono Duck Egg Blue and Linen. 102 has a quite stunning Catherine Colebrook Stag Head print as a central focal.

In context, I have nothing further to add with this reply, other than additionally highlighting that we never even received any negative comments about the provision of services, on the departure of yourself and your 4 companions, and we have contacted you directly and offered a Complimentary Return visit to Balbirnie, and our sincerely well-intended Offer was unfortunately declined.

(This guest has clearly arrived at Balbirnie, been disillusioned with wallpaper and paint finish in bedroom, and has allowed that to then very unfairly overtake other perceptions of the hotel. So sad that was the case, especially over the special days of Christmas itself.)

We would certainly have very much welcomed an opportunity to redeem your perspective.

Kind regards,

Nicholas Russell
ScotlandUK
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Just back, from a relaxing couple of days. Beautiful hotel, lovely surroundings. Our room was on the third floor so basically attic views, this aside the room was luxurious, spacious, large bathroom, separate dressing room, huge bedroom with classic décor and furniture.
We ate in the hotels Orangery Restaurant on our first night, we had pre drinks and canapés in the lounge which were really impressive. The food and service in the restaurant were totally 5 star. Breakfast was self service with a good selection.
Second night we stayed we planned to eat in the Bistro hoping to order a one course hot meal, the weather on the 3rd of Jan was pretty dire. Unfortunately we were informed by the reception we could only eat in the Orangery Restaurant and would have to opt for the set menu at £36, the only other option was to order the room service sandwiches as there was a wedding on. We had ate a big lunch and thought we should have been informed of the eating options. We opted to get a taxi to the Boreland hotel nearby for a one course meal, the food there was lovely, their restaurant was busy and there was a good choice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Happy Customer, many thanks for your lovely comments, and the ticking of 5 Stars all round. We are so happy to read that you considered the house to be beautiful with lovely surroundings - I cannot disagree!

We are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Balbirnie House so much. It was very kind of you to take the time to write, much appreciated.

Regarding bookings Dear Reader - please do ensure that a reservation is always made - so as to avoid disappointment.

Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

it was our first experiance of a meal at the bistro. the staff were very helpfull and was easy to book. the meal was excellent and would recommend to all family and friends. the only down side was my wife has a walking disability and found the stairs very difficult and car parking quite difficult as not many spaces near the hotel

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Hello David, thank you very kindly for your comments and the denoting of a 5 Star review. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed The Balbirnie Bistro.

(Just to mention in passing - There is alternative lift access to cover most of the route to Bistro, if ever required - and I confirm that we have on site parking for 500 daily guests ...)

Also - We have now commenced with our brand new season Bistro menu - and some lovely new dishes.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Markinch
Lomond Hills Hotel
#1 of 17 in St Andrews
Travelodge Glenrothes
Travelodge Glenrothes
#2 of 9 in Glenrothes

Been to Balbirnie House? Share your experiences!