“Wedding”
Review of Balbirnie House

Balbirnie House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Markinch
Reviewed 14 February 2014

My son's wedding at Balbirnie on the 13th February was a fabulous and faultless occasion. Staff delivered a fantastic service where nothing was too much trouble,and the food was first class (we ate in the Bistro one night, had a wonderful wedding breakfast and enjoyed the great breakfasts as well). The rooms were very comfortable with everyone who stayed raving about the venue. Well done Balbirnie for helping us to have such a wonderful celebration.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Hello MazdaFife, replying to your review first thing on a Monday morning, it is so lovely to arrive to start the working week and read your 'fabulous and faultless' comments. Very much appreciated, on behalf of all at Balbirnie House, and we're absolutely delighted to hear that the wedding was such a success. We wish Kimberley and David every future happiness.

2014 is set to be our busiest year ever for weddings, and it is simply wonderful to see so many brides and grooms becoming a part of Balbirnie's accumulating history. Dear Readers, on this point we have just loaded up a selection - a celebration - of our favourite wedding photographs in history, 200 or so snaps chosen from the most recent half a million! - Head on over to YouTube and type in 'Balbirnie House Behind the Lens' - stunning shots from a selection of Scotland's most wonderfully talented professional photographers. And please also note - as far as we are aware, such footage is a worldwide first.

For all daily updates and photographs, competitions and offers, please do head on over and join The Balbirnie House Hotel Facebook page, we have more than 5,000 individuals who now receive Balbirnie’s Daily Updates, and exciting chat! This is now an accumulating historical archive of information, a celebration of life in and around Balbirnie. Our gratitude as always.

Twitter is now also very much an integral part of what we do, albeit somewhat more briefly stated than my TripAdvisor responses! I am myself on @BalbirnieHouse, our MC’s and Duty Managers are @DM_BALBIRNIE - All talking daily about what goes into our complex operations, as well as the generalities of how wonderful it is to work within the hotel sector. Out front and also from behind the scenes…

To read a further selection of our monthly guestbook comments and reviews, from guests known to have stayed in our hotel, or who have visited as a guest, please do take just a few moments to visit our main web site. (We also list these on a monthly basis on Facebook.)

From the many lovely emails, presents, cards and letters which we receive, and in tandem with our guestbook records, every month we take a selection of those additional comments and place them on our latest news Guest Comment sections. As always, our thanks to Donna Reid from our reception team, who takes the time every month to collate all of those very lovely comments and reviews. These can of course be fully trusted, and accepted as reality.

If there is ever any element of guest dissatisfaction whatsoever, then I would always ask please that any guest with any legitimate complaint, no matter how small, contacts me personally to discuss. (If we have ever made an error, and it can sometimes happen, then we would always appreciate an opportunity to redeem your perspective. Mistakes are however quite rare, as any reader can see from the overview of our reviews!)

Best wishes from all at Balbirnie, Nicholas Russell/ General Manager/ Balbirnie House - 1992 – Present

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely place, but compared to a few years ago, you can see that corners are being cut. The little touches that made the difference are no longer present. The standard of food and service at dinner was excellent, but poor at breakfast and other times. It's a pity to see things slip to this extent.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank JoeHarperAFC
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Hello JoeHarperAFC, delighted to see that you consider the hotel to be lovely, and that you had an enjoyable evening meal.

The touches that made a difference? A very strange perspective in the context of differing from a few years ago, and I'm wondering if perhaps the last time you visited you were perhaps on an 'extras inclusive' (eg strawberries chocolate dipped, shortbread, fruit basket, bubbly on ice etc) deal? Or perhaps on a Group booking which similarly can carry other applicable amenities?

Looking around Balbirnie and comparing as a generality to a few years ago - here are a few touches which we have certainly introduced!!!!!

- Fresh flowers throughout public areas, usually roses in vibrant colours, unless we are at the peak of each of the 4 seasons, 'The Mansion of 4 Seasons' - daffodils are of course next up.
- Essential oil room diffusers, blended in-house. Just lovely, and I must say, the current blend of Grapefruit, Bergamot and Rosemary is particularly wonderful in The Drawing Room.
- Silver tea light candle lanterns - these are so incredibly romantic of an evening.
- Amenity - next phase now aligning to hand-made and individually packaged chocolate chip cookies.
- Personalised Cocktail menu covers, highlighting additionally regarding aspects of the Ancient Kingdom of Fife.
- Lat year, some 70 grand's worth of antiques, artwork and furniture!
- Plus this year, a Stuart Park original painting in The East Room. This is now a new focal point for a further commemorative photograph for brides and grooms, en route to our Millennium Ballroom.
- 40 areas refurbished last year. 4 areas already refurbished this year! Please see our Facebook page for all details.
- New screening room.
- Lawns and gardens brought to an unprecedented presentation during the last 12 months.
- A 50 yard external wave of wildflowers on East elevation. Corn flowers and poppies aplenty.
- New front car park!
- New driveway at front of hotel.
- Star cloth pillars, Ballroom.
- Aluminium can LED up lighters, choose your shade in pastel ...
- Invisible to the guest eye, every bedroom door fire safety upgraded, re-panelled and intumescent strips added etc
I could go on and on (and on) with this list, but for the purpose of replying to your comments, there's the gist ... And please rest assured Dear Readers, the hotel manager's foot remains on the gas in all regards, in what is a never-ending commitment to the premises and our tens of thousands of annual visitors.

Would anyone care for more special touches? Our brand new 2014/15 wedding literature has just published. And so comprehensive is this year's offering of special touches, it has now necessitated an Index! All downloadable via our main web site.

Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

I attended a conference dinner at Balbirnie House. Magnificent. The food was quite good as was the selection of scotches and wines. We all enjoyed the lovely interiors which gave the whole experience a very distinguished air. I recommend it.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear CMD 1980, Many thanks for your lovely comments, so very gratefully received by Balbirnie's hard-working brigade.

Something I discovered many years ago. Strapline banner advertising and press quotes up above theatre doorways? (And for that matter, within press advertising.) It is considered legitimate to use the 3 dots to break and state. Therefore, your review would perhaps be succinctly attributed:

'MAGNIFICENT' ... 'LOVELY INTERIORS' ... 'A VERY DISTINGUISHED AIR'.

Well that sounds about right to me!!!!

Delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit. And with regard to Conferencing, now that The Recession is well and truly over, our Balbirnie Business Centre (Boardroom, Conference Room, Lobby, all cantilevered chairs in soft chocolate Andrew Muirhead leather, Harmon Kardon surround sound) etc etc - is fully open for business. As I have newly Tweeted (and Dear Readers I confess I sometimes clearly have issues saying something in 140 letters or less!) last week we had 28 incoming Special Event Enquiries. Any such further enquiries please do let us know.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

I had booked my parents a pamper break with a meal and overnight stay as a gift.
I met with my parents the day after their stay and couldn't get a word in for them talking about the Balbirnie House and their experience there.
By all accounts it was faultless. They were very pleased with every aspect ; from the greeting, the room, the pamper, meal and in all they judged the conduct of the staff as exemplary.
My Dad gave compliments to the chef and was satisfied that not only were his compliments recieved but that he had also cause to do so !
Both enthused about the food and are looking to go back for a 'Bistro ' meal as it seems an affordable treat. Pensioners eh !
My Mum was, '' Fair taken on '' with Lorna the therapist, very easy to talk with and good at her job.
My Mum has had a stroke and seemed delighted with Lorna and her pamper experience...
My Dad also mentioned a member of staff that treated him with grace as he was passing.
My parents are firm and fair and believe in credit when it's due. I afford their thanks and appreciation for a top class stay at the Balbirnie House.
The only reason I have deducted a star for value is because of the expense. Don't get me wrong, it was worth every penny but on my income it was a lot of pennies. Saying that, I would do it again because the quality and joy was worth the expenditure. I also consider that I couldn't have got better for the price I paid.
Bob

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Bob R, on behalf of all at Balbirnie, we thank you so very kindly for your comments. Those of us who work in this wonderful hotel sector, and rely on it for livelihood, are really overjoyed to hear when we have delivered beyond expectation. That is always the endeavour! As it says in the company induction pack - 'Urgency, demeanour, and a constant willingness to assist'. That is the gist anyways. As a hotel manager I never cease conveying that is is the customer who pays the wages, and with 105 individuals currently on our payroll, my motivation is to ensure that one and all remain remunerated!!!

Thanks Bob, I know you also sent us a direct email with comments above, all best wishes to you and your parents.

I see this is your first review on TripAdvisor, and conclude that you have signed up simply to post these comments. Moving ahead I can only hope that other establishments will be the recipients of such praise. What is projected into the Great Ether has a habit of going full circle. (and vice versa!)

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Stayed at the hotel for our 7th anniversary, we go every other year as we were married at the hotel. The hotel hasn't changed much in that time which I think is a nice thing obviously doing a good job keeping up with maintenance as the hotel doesn't look tired. We had a few small issues in the room which we noted on the comment card but nothing that would stop us returning. Had dinner in the restaurant and food was fantastic very well made with lovely flavours. Staff were all very friendly and helpful in particular Arthurs who was working the bar. Look forward to returning.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChickyBirdie

Hello ChickyBirdie, and many thanks for denoting such a lovely set of comments. Please DM when you are staying next year, Cocktails on the house!

And all the best on your 7th Anniversary. It is always so wonderful to welcome back previous brides and grooms. Very romantic, all best wishes.

Delighted to see an acknowledgement that we remain on top of refurbishments. Dear TripAdvisor Readers, I can confirm that is indeed the case. 40 areas done last year, and 3 already completed this year, and on it goes, never-ending - Just like re-painting The Forth Bridge, before somebody invented paint which lasts longer than the time it take to paint the whole thing. And by the way - the party to celebrate that very achievement was held under this very roof!!!

Refurbishments? I sit typing this in my office, surrounded today by boxes of Laura Ashley wallpapers. Oh, and also some wallpaper from Barneby Gates - rock and roll if I may say so- design elements there via ex Living Editor of Vogue. Deer skulls and thistles, antique gold over duck egg blue, all heading into the Library Bar, with brand new Duck egg blue and tartan Abraham Moon fabrics, manufacturing by Holloway Interiors. We cannot wait to see the finished results.

(We had an unfortunate review below from a lady who caught the very tail end of last years 2 remaining bedroom wallpaper and paint refurbs. I confirm those 2 bedrooms are now also completed.)

Balbirnie House is currently presented to it's very best in history, and moving ahead we shall not shy from that ongoing commitment and investment. This year alone, from diary bookings we can for example see that we may end up catering for circa 175 large weddings, and naturally we wish the presentation of Balbirnie to always be at the very best we can create.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Many thanks to all at Balbirnie who work so hard to make our once - a - year Ball so good, as always it was wonderful, a chance to get all dressed up with 7 hours of great food, entertainment and meeting of old (and new) friends. I really enjoyed the vegetarian meal I had, it was delish and I could barely manage the trio of desserts to finish! Somehow the hours to the bells go very quickly - better than sitting at home watching TV - only minor comments from our table were that we liked the old organisation with the table wines and also the dancers among us wanted a slower dance or two - showing our age now I'm afraid! All in all a night we wouldn't miss - top marks Balbirnie.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Mazza51, thank you so much for your kind comments, and we are really over the moon to read your comments, denoting a 5 Star review. The Hogmanay Ball is certainly a one-off, and an occasion which we like to also view as a celebration of the year gone by, and the year about to start anew.

(Comments noted re dancing, and this year we've already made plans to have a final check over with the set lists. Next time around we'll perhaps be swapping The Ramones 'Sheena is a Punk Rocker' for something along the lines of Daft Punk's 'Get Lucky' ...!)

It really is lovely to hear your comments about the veggie aspects of the 5 course celebratory meal. Again, that is an aspect which Balbirnie's Exec Chef and brigade like to focus on, especially (as we saw again this year) if the entire brigade are to come out on parade, take a glass of bubbly, and then a so very well deserved round of applause. It is certainly a busy few weeks which take us up to The Ball.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We attended Balbirnie House for our Nephew's wedding. The house sits in many acres of land and provides some excellent walks without going out. The wedding organisation was second to none with excellent food and excellent service. Breakfast on both days was of good quality and plentiful. The room was clean and tidy, although like most old properties, perhaps could do with a lick of paint. The social areas, including the bar were comfortable with many different places to sit and relax.

I would recommend the location for a weekend away or indeed for something more important like a wedding.

Room Tip: The hotel is away from the road so no noise. All rooms we saw were similar in quality