“Good but a little disappointing ” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Balbirnie House

and 1 more site!
Balbirnie House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Markinch
“Good but a little disappointing ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at balbirnie house for our 8 year anniversary and our first ever doggy holiday so I was really excited for our stay. I have to admit I felt quite let down with the overall standards of our room... Particularly the bathroom where the wallpaper was actually hanging off the wall (pictures taken). I understood before going that usually when you have a dog you won't be placed in the top room but for a hotel with such high standards I was quite shocked at the state of the room we were given. We did bring this to staff attention and unfortunately was just advised that after recent decoration a pipe had burst and this was why the decor was damaged but no change of room was offered. Especially when we were already paying an extra, and not inconsiderable, charge for having the dog but getting what we felt was a lot less, considering for that charge the hotel provides nothing for dogs (no towel at the door, no bowls, no treats ect, where other pet friendly hotels provide a welcome package particularly when it is a £20 per night charge) and you are not allowed you pet anywhere else inside the hotel, I doubt I would recommend to friends or family, especially with pets.
It is a shame really as after reading the reviews the rest of the interior of the hotel sounded lovely.
On the plus side the grounds are fabulous, although if you were hoping to visit the craft centre shown on balbirnie house hotel website then I can tell you after trying to visit it for 3 days I personally had to advise staff that it no longer existed.
The staff however were generally speaking excellent and very helpful.
The food for dinner in both the orangey and the bistro was also fantastic however after ordering room service for breakfast I think it had sat a little too long and was also a bit disappointing.
The cocktail man was great however I did try and order the cherry cocktail both nights but the hotel didn't have the ingredients, another shame.
Overall I feel there is more negatives than positives in our experience especially being aware that other couples received a free room upgrade to a suite on arrival and we were stuck in a less than average alternative and paying more money for it.

I do feel bad for leaving such mediocre feedback and would be happy to provide the photographs taken in the room. As I said it was just a shame as there were some parts of the hotel that were fantastic, it was just outweighed this time for us and it won't be on the top of the list to revisit.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Hello Holli480, and I must sincerely apologise firstly for the wallpaper issue. We have literally just recently re-wallpapered that bathroom in lovely new Laura Ashley paper, and how frustrating it is when we have damage arising as a result - all as outlined. In a building which dates back to 1777, and acknowledging Balbirnie was totally re-plumbed in the late 1980's, these things can sometimes happen. In any event, the wallpaper was re-fixed next day, and we await replacement paper to restore to our customary standard.

I cannot apologise for failing to provide dog treats, dog towel, or dog bowl, as these are not part of our routine facilities.

And I am sorry about the Cherry Garcia and Lemon Sorbet cocktail, we had a significant run on those and sadly ran out of that Sorbet. Not ideal, especially when I continually advocate that the only thing we should ever run out of is space. I have noted however that when you mentioned this on departure, our duty manager immediately organised a tub of sorbet as a takeaway, on the house. I hope you enjoyed.

Dear Readers, talking of Sorbet (and ice cream) at Balbirnie in our in-house factory we manufacture the best in the country - under the banner of our Caledonian Dairy, and via Clarks Speciality Foods of Edinburgh, we distribute to a variety of establishments across Scotland.

Confused re breakfast, especially when you have denoted on your bedroom questionnaire, that we have offered you 'excellent service at breakfast'.

I am furthermore slightly confused at your overview, as on your questionnaire you have also mentioned that you rated the level of customer care you received as being 'excellent'.

In any event I am sorry that you have retained any less than positive perspectives.

Should you wish to ever return then please do email me direct. I guarantee you an Upgrade to deluxe room, and will personally ensure the amenities are in place for your dog. All you have to do is ask, and perhaps stating the obvious, had you requested when you visited, rest assured we would have gone a country mile to meet your request.

For all daily updates and photographs, competitions and offers, please do head on over and join The Balbirnie House Hotel Facebook page, we have more than 5,000 individuals who now receive Balbirnie’s Daily Updates, and exciting chat! This is now an accumulating historical archive of information, a celebration of life in and around Balbirnie. Our gratitude as always.

Twitter is now also very much an integral part of what we do, albeit somewhat more briefly stated than my TripAdvisor responses! I am myself on @BalbirnieHouse, our MC’s and Duty Managers are @DM_BALBIRNIE - All talking daily about what goes into our complex operations, as well as the generalities of how wonderful it is to work within the hotel sector. Out front and also from behind the scenes…

To read a further selection of our monthly guestbook comments and reviews, from guests known to have stayed in our hotel, or who have visited as a guest, please do take just a few moments to visit our main web site. (We also list these on a monthly basis on Facebook.)

From the many lovely emails, presents, cards and letters which we receive, and in tandem with our guestbook records, every month we take a selection of those additional comments and place them on our latest news Guest Comment sections. As always, our thanks to Donna Reid from our reception team, who takes the time every month to collate all of those very lovely comments and reviews. These can of course be fully trusted, and accepted as reality.

If there is ever any element of guest dissatisfaction whatsoever, then I would always ask please that any guest with any legitimate complaint, no matter how small, contacts me personally to discuss. (If we have ever made an error, and it can sometimes happen, then we would always appreciate an opportunity to redeem your perspective. Mistakes are however quite rare, as any reader can see from the overview of our reviews!)

Best wishes from all at Balbirnie, Nicholas Russell/ General Manager/ Balbirnie House - 1992 – Present

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Stayed 4 nights Monday to Friday . The room was nice, bed was unbelievably comfy, shower looked like it would be pretty rubbish but actually turned out to be very good. Staff were really nice, the cooked breakfast was tremendous.
We had dinner in the bistro twice - I had fish and chips one night and the fish had the crispiest batter I've ever eaten, it was really good.
Didn't get a chance to walk around during the day and it was a bit too dark to venture around the grounds at night but the golf course looked pretty good. There were three very small things that were a slight inconvenience:
1. There were no plugs near the bed.
2. I couldn't turn the bathroom radiator down so the room was always really warm.
3. The floorboards in my room were really squeaky - this didn't really bother me but I felt like I had to sneak around later on at night.

But those things are so minor in comparison to how nice the place is and how good the staff were. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: We were late in booking and got the last two rooms but they were really nice so I suspect there isn...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Hello Josh, and many thanks for your kind comments, delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay at Balbirnie. I mention in passing, that when re-carpeting we have resisted the temptation to do anything to alter the creak of the floors, as we feel it is without doubt a part of the character of the Grade A Listed 1777 mansion.

winsford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

We have recently returned from a fabulous stay at this amazing hotel. We were upgraded without us knowing. The whole experience well worth a return visit so much so we have re booked for nine weeks time and counting can't wait. The staff 10 out of 10 wanted to bring them all home. The Orangery restaurant and food exemplary. A MUST for your bucket list glad it has been on mine.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank elainehardiman
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Hello ElaineHardiman, and thank you so much for your kind comments and the denoting of a 5 Star review. We are rather humbled in all honesty, to receive such complimentary praise, and it is always lovely to hear when we have surpassed expectations. Writing this reply - I have just stepped out of our morning briefing, and Balbirnie's Executive Chef was particularly overjoyed to hear the comments about the dining experience at Balbirnie.

Strathaven
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

This was not our first stay at Balbirnie House and it won't be our last. From the moment you step into reception it is a joyous experience. Our room on this occasion was 204, with a four poster bed as it's focal point. We were overlooking the gardens and part of Balbirnie Park, peace and quiet , not a harsh sound anywhere. The staff are friendly and smiling, what a difference it makes to the guests to be met with smiling faces wherever you are in the hotel. We had dinner in the Orangery the first night, an excellent meal. On the second night we ate in the Bistro, again food was excellent. Well done Balbirnie, 10 out of 10, you can be justifiably proud of both the hotel and your staff.

Room Tip: Rooms 203 and 204 are both excellent rooms overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello BonnieLassStrathaven,
Thank you so much for kind comments and 5 Star review. We're delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable visit to Balbirnie. It is certainly lovely to be told that your perspective is 10 out of 10. In passing, as we can routinely see circa 500 visitors to the house in a single day, we are not always an Oasis of Calm. You obviously visited when we weren't at capacity. Thank you nevertheless for your kindness.

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself is beautiful. The staff were extremely pleasant and could not do enough for you. On our first night we ate in the Orangery restaurant, as soon as you came downstairs you were escorted into the Library for pre dinner drinks and canapés before being taken through to the Orangery. The food in here is amazing. Breakfast was also amazing. It's a buffet with a choice of fresh fruit, yogurt cereals, pastries or a big, hearty Scottish breakfast (I went for this both days - it was amazing!).

The grounds of the hotel are also beautiful. There must be miles of footpaths within the grounds which are mostly wooded with a steam running through it. One of the walks is the Rhododendron walk which would have been beautiful had we gone when they were in season.

The rooms of the hotel are also really nice but are th reason this is not a 5* review as some of the fixtures were looking a bit faded (I.e. The light switch for the bathroom was all tarnished, the taps are gold in colour but this was flaking off and the toilet was hard to flush). These things would not be enough to stop us staying there again though and we are thinking of returning in May/June time, but vi think with the rest of the hotel being so especially nice, these things let it down a bit.

On the whole this is a wonderful hotel, with brilliant staff, beautiful grounds and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Hello Martin, and many thanks for your kind comments, we're delighted to hear that your visit was Fantastic. You are certainly correct regarding your comments about Balbirnie Park, absolutely stunning in rhododendron season, just weeks away!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed a few more times since last review and still think this is a fabulous place to stay. Ater a hard days work it is a lovely feeling driving up through Balbirnie Park and seeing this amazing building in front of you.

Love the rooms and very comfy beds. It is just a place of great character. Really enjoy all elements of the food offer (though did not see the offer enablng you to choose specific individually priced dishes off the set orangery menu).

Sadly it still won't be the place I stay at most often in the area as even at a very good Corporate rate it is still higher than I can justify (to myself). Don't confuse that with me saying it is expensive because it is not; and it absolutely is the best value for money in the local area. I still think a little more of a farewell on departure would not go amiss!

I look forward to going back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sleep007
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Hello SleepOO7, Mr Bond I presume? Please let me know next time you are staying, I shall organise a Vesper Martini with the compliments of the house.

Thank you so much for your kind comments and the denoting of a 5 Star Review. Delighted to see that you have rated our consistency in such a generous way. Sorry if the farewell on this occasion did not equate, please rest assured I will convey that comment to our front office.

Dear Readers, we currently have some 65 Local Companies which use Balbirnie House on advantageous Local Corporate Rates for accommodation. If you wish to sign your company up and access these, please do let us know. Free WiFi throughout the entire premises. Individually priced courses for dinner in The Orangery. Bistro as usual! Express Buffet breakfast. Our new Mercedes Luxury Traveliner (up to 7 seats) available for Rail and Airport Transfers. Our Business Centre available to do business.

Our magnificent Kingdom of Fife is certainly one of the most vibrant business areas of Scotland, and our Special Events Dept is always available to provide quotes for our facilities. Back in the 1980's when Balbirnie was conceived as a hotel, it was envisaged that the hotel would be destined to very much become an integral part of the Fife business community, and we can gladly say that has certainly been achieved over the years.

DUNFERMLINE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

A a father of the Bride its vital that your daughters big day is a success. Balbirnie House truly is a perfect location for a wedding. couple this with staff who are trained to an exception level it’s a winning combination. Let me just give two examples. One of my granddaughters had lost her dummy and was getting upset. Without hesitation a member of staff drove into town to purchase one for her... Attention to detail was just as good.. On the stairs to the Ballroom there was up lights from the floor, very nice effect. When the wedding planner and I walked through she immediately noticed there were green filters and immediately had them changed to purple to match the wedding party’s colour scheme... great touch. These are just 2 examples, there were dozens throughout the day. 30 rooms booked by wedding party. Everyone had great things to say about their stay.

Room Tip: there are no bad rooms here....
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dadofajambo
Hello DADOFAJAMBO,
Valentines Day - no more romantic a day to celebrate a wedding, and all best wishes to Kate and Johnny. Thank you so much for your kindness, and delighted to hear that the day was such a success. As a hotelier it is particularly lovely to see that our brigade exceeded your expectations, and over the moon to see that we did indeed go the extra mile. Today is indeed never a Dress Rehearsal for Tomorrow.

Dear Readers, anyone thinking of getting married? Our brand new 2014 Literature has now published, and this year it has necessitated an Index! Please head on over to our web site and check it out.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Markinch
BEST WESTERN Balgeddie House Hotel
Premier Inn Glenrothes Hotel
Old Manor Hotel
Old Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lundin Links

Been to Balbirnie House? Share your experiences!