“Perfect”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Markinch
West Calder, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed over night following the most magical wedding on the 20Th July 2014.
Venue,staff,service quality could not be improved.
Compared to other wedding venues Balbirnie is second to none.
Note- bar is the cheapest we have been to for a wedding so nice not to feel ripped off.
Lots of seating areas great for guests
Will definitely return!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank moi12rugby
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Hello Moi12Rugby, and thank you so much for your kind comments and 5 Star review. Thank you also for highlighting bar pricing. In my book 'great prices = busy bars and delighted guests'. Currently £3.70 a pint, in context simply wonderful value.

You are certainly correct in what you say. I never cease to be amazed at the pricing proposed at some alternative venues. Each to their own!

Kindest regards, Nicholas / MD Balbirnie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Since my last review we have enjoyed a very special overnight stay here with dinner in The Orangery. We were lucky enough to get the most beautiful bedroom complete with four poster bed. The stay was just perfect and the staff couldn't have been nicer. (I did write a lengthier review before but this was not allowed by TA as it was less than 3 months since the previous review!).

We have since had lunch in the Bistro and this time it was very, very good. The food was excellent and we look forward to returning for a meal again soon.

The setting and gardens are so pretty Balbirnie House really is somewhere in Fife it is a pleasure to visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NorthernHeatseeker
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Hello NorthernHeatseeker, a 5 Star review from such a keen reviewer, well that is just wonderful. Thank you so much for your kindness. Nicholas / MD Balbirnie
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Can i just thank all your staff for a excellent service my wife and i received tonight, we had a 4 course meal in the orangery restaurant, it was one of the best meals we have had, our table service was first class, please pass onto all your staff. We will certainly be back soon, all your staff made us both so welcome from entering the reception to sitting in the lounge then when leaving they could not do enough, i hope to be back with my wife and her sister and brother-in law in the near future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrWRichards1964
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Mr Richards, we are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your meal, thank you kindly for your 5 Star review. All best wishes, Nicholas
Langbank
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a wedding last year that we had been invited too. The venue for the wedding reception and the food were good, but, the room we were allocated which was upstairs at the end of a corridor was very poor and in need a major upgrade. The room was actual on two levels which meant that if you were sleeping on the right hand side of the bed you need to go down a step manoeuvre yourself round the bottom of the bed then step up gain to go to the toilet. Not very Health & Safety IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!!

We were unable to move rooms due to the large number of guests staying. All together nice venue but in our experience a very poor room and we would not wish to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Graham H
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Hello Graham, most unusual to have a 'review' posted a year after a visit. I have endeavoured to contact the original architect to highlight the issue regarding the step in your bedroom, however - alas - it appears to be the case that he unfortunately passed away circa the year 1800.

For all daily updates and photographs, competitions and offers, please do head on over and join The Balbirnie House Hotel Facebook page, we have more than 6,000 individuals who now receive Balbirnie’s Daily Updates, and exciting chat! This is now an accumulating historical archive of information, a celebration of life in and around Balbirnie. Our gratitude as always.

Twitter is now also very much an integral part of what we do, albeit somewhat more briefly stated than my TripAdvisor responses! I am myself on @BalbirnieHouse, our MC’s and Duty Managers are @DM_BALBIRNIE - All talking daily about what goes into our complex operations, as well as the generalities of how wonderful it is to work within the hotel sector. Out front and also from behind the scenes…

To read a further selection of our monthly guestbook comments and reviews, from guests known to have stayed in our hotel, or who have visited as a guest, please do take just a few moments to visit our main web site. (We also list these on a monthly basis on Facebook.)

From the many lovely emails, presents, cards and letters which we receive, and in tandem with our guestbook records, every month we take a selection of those additional comments and place them on our latest news Guest Comment sections. As always, our thanks to Donna Reid from our reception team, who takes the time every month to collate all of those very lovely comments and reviews. These can of course be fully trusted, and accepted as reality.

If there is ever any element of guest dissatisfaction whatsoever, then I would always ask please that any guest with any legitimate complaint, no matter how small, contacts me personally to discuss. (If we have ever made an error, and it can sometimes happen, then we would always appreciate an opportunity to redeem your perspective. Mistakes are however quite rare, as any reader can see from the overview of our reviews!)

Most helpfully intended- we point out to all readers of TripAdvisor ‘reviews’, that these ‘reviews’ are never ever checked for factual accuracy. Furthermore, reviews are expressed subjectively and very much as personal opinions. We have had numerous comments over the course of time which are misleading and factually incorrect, and from correspondence with TripAdvisor, most unfortunately nothing can be done whatsoever to correct them. Additionally, as hoteliers we sometimes never know who the reviewer actually is, as ‘reviews’ are incognito.

We’re accustomed these days for accepting TripAdvisor for what it is, and we hope that our comments and replies bring some joy somewhere.

Dear Readers, anyone new to TripAdvisor, and thinking of 'reviewing' any premises- please do ensure that you are factually correct in all you say, because if you aren't, then you are exposed to potential legal action, in the form of libel for written defamation. My comment is most helpfully intended. This also works both ways, as responses must equate too!

There is a most helpful article about TripAdvisor in The Telegraph newspaper, please google it under the search term 'TripAdvisor is Democracy for the Stupid'. That search term singles out a small element of reviewers, and is obviously irrelevant in the context of the great proportion of those common sense reviewers who post the great proportion of well-intended and factual guest reviews.

Here's an excerpt from The Telegraph: 'For very small establishments, such as out of the way country pubs, the effects can be devastating financially and incredibly upsetting, personally. The review sites say they have procedures for dealing with malicious reviews. But honestly, having tried these several times myself, they basically say, “Not my problem, guv” and then invite you to sue them if you want to take matters further. Answerability, it seems, is great for restaurants but not for TripAdvisor. Of course, I know that it cuts both ways. As has been widely reported, these sites are often abused by PRs and other shills for restaurants and hotels who flood them with fake positive reviews. Perhaps then, the best we can hope for is a kind of equilibrium where the idiots and trolls are balanced out by the charlatans and bribed endorsers. I suppose it’s human nature, but it’s not a very good way to find a restaurant'.

And signs that improvement may well be on the way? @tripexpert

My own tuppence? Well, when I look at any venue's TripAdvisor page and reviews, I tend to ignore the top 10% and the bottom 10% - 'get the truth and go'???, well that is perhaps somewhere in the middle of what remains!!!

The review above contains factual inaccuracies - from our own experience there is simply no point in debating with TripAdvisor, as the organisation hides behind a veil. Now we are asked for almost 6 grand per year 'for a Business Listing...???" I reply - please ask us again when you have integrity.

Specifically TripAdvisor say 'If most other reviews are positive, travellers are likely to see a negative as a mere aberration'. That is simply not acceptable. As a representative example we have a review below which mentions 'mouldy bathroom tiles', we have provided photographic proof which evidences that this is simply untrue - lies, yet still TripAdvisor refuse to even amend the review. What a complete Sham. How can any reader Trust what they read?

With my kindest regards from all at Balbirnie House.

And to all at TripAdvisor - thank you for sending over in the post - Balbirnie's 2014's Certificate of Excellence. We are however no longer displaying anything to do with your Sham organisation, until you can demonstrate integrity.

Best wishes from all at Balbirnie, Nicholas Russell/ General Manager/ Balbirnie House - 1992 – Present
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I was invited to my friends's wedding at the beautiful setting that is Balbirnie House. I spent 2 nights and firstly let me say the scenery, grounds, rooms, food, and day time staff cannot be faulted- all were ideal and what I would expect from a venue with such a good reputation.

However, let me discuss Thursday the 3rd of July (the pre-wedding night) which as all good evenings should do started and ended in the bar. Never have I witnessed such poor bar service, from not one but several members of staff, more befitting of a JD Witherspoon's and and a 4 star hotel.

There was a gentleman working what must have been his first shift, he looked a nervous wreck and as it conspired I believe his partner may have gone into early labour so this is perhaps understandable. I believe his name was Chris. What is not understandable is why he was left in charge of the bar?! He clearly didn't want to be there and this reflected in his attitude towards guests. As one of my friends pointed out "I'm angry the barman constantly stands with his arms folded, it's bad manners". He also struggled to give correct change when give £21.50 for a £11.50 bar charge.

More frustrating than this was the closing and cashing of the till at 11.30pm- very early considering the bar was near full with paying guests and entirely without warning! We were of course allowed as residents to place drinks on our rooms but this left non-residents in limbo to say the least. I can only suggest this time would have been better spent by staff re-stocking the Laphroaig 10year old which was only begrudgingly done on request.

The bar was then left unmanned for at least 30-45 minutes as apparently the night porter was running late- these things happen. We were made to feel most unwelcome in particular by the manageress in charge at this stage who appeared at the right time as one of the guests had decided to consider taking on the responsibility of the now absent bar staff. I think she could have handled the situation with a bit more tact than bellowing " I'm calling the police" who I very much doubt were going to deport the guest in question back to Australia (some excellent irony)

Thankfully the above did not spoil my stay, but it certainly is worth highlighting. As is the fact the previously mentioned inept bar staff had the wrong gas flowing through the Bellhaven Best (now a Bellhaven Worst) and that in a Scottish hotel the only other draught beer or lager was Carlsberg- it surely has to be a contender for the worst lager alongside Fosters?

Anyway, all I can hope for is that if I return you will have taken on board the above information to better your already splendid hotel, that you will rid your bar of the poison that is Carlsberg, the manageress learns how to effectively manage her staff and stressful situations, and that the nervous Chris has eventually been let away to attend the hospital!

Cheers,

Ryan

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ryan M
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Lengthy response written and posted. Post subsequently removed by TripAdvisor.
I guess that'll be that then.

Nicholas / MD Balbirnie x
Cruden Bay (Port Erroll), United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Our son and his new wife got married this week. Fantastic venue, perfect for a special day, service at the wedding was 1st class.
Rooms all different but a decent standard. Only issue we had over the two days was the service and speed of resetting tables at breakfast time.
Would recommend to anyone for an ideal wedding venue.

Room Tip: Room 206 huge and very comfortable but the shower was head hand held only!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank thepo
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Hello Thepo, and delighted to read your comments about the wedding. (Dear Readers, 3 wonderful new wedding press articles added to our Facebook page today. Please head on over and have a look.)

Sorry to hear comments re breakfast, we can usually accommodate all guests, and we only have to re-set tables if we have external guests also joining...

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Visited the Bistro in June 2014. Enjoyed a great lunch with friends. Staff were attentive and friendly throughout. Food came out well presented, in a reasonable amount of time and tasted great. Would return again.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank KarenWFife
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Hello Karen, and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to The Balbirnie Bistro.

With my kindest regards from all at Balbirnie House.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Markinch
BEST WESTERN Balgeddie House Hotel
Premier Inn Glenrothes Hotel
Old Manor Hotel
Old Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lundin Links

Been to Balbirnie House? Share your experiences!