“Disappointing 30th Birthday Meal”

Banner's House Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 8 Restaurants in Markinch
Price range: US$8 - US$52
Cuisines: Scottish, Bar, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: ROOMS Five rooms all en suite one has a free standing bath in the room, all have spacious walk in showers en suite. Wooden floors with traditional rugs, walls all white, white wooden panelling, all beds king size. Apple tv/music/media system in rooms. USB and European sockets in rooms. Breakfast cooked fresh to order can be taken up to midday. Wi fi free throughout. RESTAURANT Inventive cooking with confident flavours and satisfying portions. We serve all day. Fantastic Coffee. Look/feel of the place is a cross between traditional Victorian dining room/Amsterdam cafe/French Brasserie. A local craft lager, Czech lager, local ale & German Weiss beer on tap. Proper cocktails and a small considered wine list. All sorts of food & drink for kids & high chairs - lots of shakes and smoothies. If you don't eat meat there is plenty of choice - way above the token pasta dish. You'll get a good welcome from us (and a bed for the night if you miss the last train home).
Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

Can't fault the food which was as usual really good but sadly the service didn't match. The waitresses were very inattentive, didn't smile much and we felt almost a burden for being there. We were a large table with 3 young children. Not once did anyone acknowledge the fact it was a special birthday (my 30th) or take time to smile or speak to any of the kids. I chose banners over Balbirnie locally and now wish I hadn't!!
My in laws who are from out with the area commented on how the waiting staff barely cracked a smile. Sadly the usual girls we get in there weren't working and the atmosphere was totally different. Won't rush back after this experience.

2  Thank markinch5
Juliette B, Owner at Banner's House Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2018

Hello,

Over the last couple of days I have spoken to the two girls who were working on the Sunday you were celebrating your 30th Birthday so that I could find out why the service was not as cheerful or attentive as you are used to. The person in charge was very apologetic - she explained that they were twice as busy as normal that day and she was honest and confessed that they did struggle with serving all the tables.
As you know service is normally very friendly and attentive and we have lots of time for the kids.
We do really value your custom that day and the fact it was your birthday, I'm just sorry we couldn't convey that fully.
I am certain that wont be the case again.
Our best wishes to you.
Banner's House

Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

I had lunch here, which was good and a no bad price- around £8.00 for a fancy beef sandwich. When I went back for dinner I was really disappointed. £15.00 for a main meal is pretty expensive for round this area. Especially when what you are served is a total let down, I had to send my food back as the sweet potato dumplings that was served on my plate were inedible. There was certainly no trace of potato in it, it was just deep fried dough- totally disgusting. It's a real shame as this place has so many positives - cosy environment, relaxed atmosphere, dog friendly and good ales ! Bring the price down and make sure the food you serve is consistently good and we would be visiting this place more often.

1  Thank Discover467087
Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Went with family opted for burger and chips which wasn't very good or filling due to the portion size. Salad was minute in size too. Overpriced for drinks too.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

I am a local to markinch and have visited the restaurant on several occasions . The restaurant has a lovely atmosphere but unfortunately I have always left disappointed with the meal. This has resulted in myself looking further a field for a quality meal.

Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

Popped in here on a cold January evening before going to the cinema. Great food. Reasonable priced and great service too. We will be back.

Juliette B, Owner at Banner's House Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2018

Hi David - really appreciate that you took the time to give this feedback. Hope the film was a success too!