“lucky choice in hotels”

Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels / Ryokan in Bunkyo
Mobile, Alabama
“lucky choice in hotels”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I needed a place to stay for one night in Tokyo on my way out of the country and wanted a Japanese style room and a place close to Tokyo Station. I found the Hotel Edoya on the internet, which had some good reviews, so I booked there. I was very happy with the room and the staff. This is not a brand-new hotel, so expect some "wear-and-tear" here and there, but the room and hotel in general were very clean and well-maintained. The breakfast buffet was good. There are lots of restaurants and things to see in the immediate vicinity. The decorations throughout the hotel are really nice and tastefully done. There is an "onsen" on the roof of the hotel (more like a "sento") with two tubs and one outside bath. The tubs were fine, the outside onsen was so hot I couldn't stand it, and I have a very high tolerance for hot baths, but I had a nice soak in one of the inside tubs. I was looking for a particular museum and the staff went out of their way to direct me on how to get there.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I've stayed at this hotel numerous times; I travel to Japan twice a year.
The staff are very friendly and often go out of their way for me but I recommend you should know minimal Japanese. There were two staff who cannot really speak English and some other customers struggled to communicate with them. The manager can speak very good English (and Spanish I believe). They remember who I am and I think that is really nice.

The decor is dated but I just cannot get past the value of this hotel. Every room has an ensuite bathroom. I've stayed in both Japanese style and Western Style rooms. Western Style rooms I find are a bit bigger and more comfortable. Free Wifi is available on the bottom floor which I find is very fast for Japan standards. There is room service every day unless you ask them not to. They replace towels, make your bed, replace your urn water and tea supplies and remove all rubbish. The televisions are digital and if there is an American movie on TV you can switch it to English on the remote (if you can read the kanji).
I've had mail delivered to the hotel and they have always let me know when it's arrived and they've brought it to me. There is a post office literally five minutes from the hotel if you need to post things back home (if you're like me, you buy a LOT of stuff).
You can get a free breakfast at the restaurant next to/underneath the hotel every day. There is also a free public indoor and outdoor bath which is absolute magic after a day of walking. I am yet to find a Ryokan to do these things at such a low price.
If you are looking for Hilton standards this is probably not the place for you but I definitely recommend this Ryokan to those of you looking for a cheap place with lots of value for money. Im the kind of person who prefers to save money for spending so this accommodation suits me perfectly. Also PLEASE remember this is Tokyo. You are rarely going to find gigantic rooms like you get in America and other Western countries.

Yes there is a giant hill to walk up, especially if you come from Chuo Doori/Akihabara direction, but what is a little exercise really? The friends I have traveled with and myself range from ages 20-29.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CasinoP
Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed 19 October 2013

A bargain for a family of four! It's very hard to find a nice and affordable hotel in Tokyo that can fit all 4 people in one room. Hotel Edoya offers room that can fit all of us at affordable price. We chose the traditional Japanese-style room and it was worth our money. The beds (on the floor) were so comfortable...the best during our trip to Asia. The toilet in our room can do with some renovation. The common hallway smelt like fried ebi tempura :) but we didn't mind. The lady that managed the breakfast room was very friendly and made us feel very welcome in her presence. The hotel is walkable from the Ueno Station but we strongly recommend to take taxi if you have luggage with you.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank YorkEL
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 9 October 2013

we stayed in this hotel a few years back and we found that the location is not so convenient. We have to walk uphill with our luggage and by the time we arrived at the hotel, we were out of breath.
Our room was traditional Japanese style. The bath room and toilet room are separated and both are very tiny. they have an on sen on the rooftop, though. Breakfast is nice - very delicious :)

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank EmmyVe
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Super hospitality and friendly hotel stuff! It's way I'm always stay in this hotel when I travel to Tokyo no matter business trip or family holiday! Traditional TATAMi with an excellent open air hot spring, just right in the heart of Tokyo city!

Room Tip: A hotel you could enjoy traditional Japan style.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I stayed 9 nights here over Easter 2013. It was easy to book via internet/email. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. Japanese breakfast was great! Rooms were very clean. Has all the amenities needed: hot pot and tea in rooms; coffee, newspapers, WiFi and computer access in the lobby.The area around the hotel is quiet - you would not know that a major busy street is only two blocks away! Also near subway station, Uneo Park, department store and many local shrines and restaurants. I would definitely stay there again!!!

Room Tip: I enjoyed the more traditional Japanese-style room and sleeping mat.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Miranda, Australia
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This hotel was recommended by a friend and I spent my first 2 nights in Japan there. I booked the Japanese style room. Rooms are not huge but you have everything you need and please, in Japanese style! The staff is super friendly and speak English. It is easy to book by emailing the hotel. I even sent some of my luggage to travel lighter during my trip around Japan. Breakfast are awesome, Japanese and Western style. The location is quiet near parks and also very convenient because it is at walking distance from subway and may train stations. We had some very good dinners around the hotel in small places, especially at the sushi place R/Q, 5 minutes down the road of the hotel. Highly recommended, you will have an authentic good experience. On my way home I spent the last night at Edoya and at the sushi place. Best night in Japan!

Room Tip: Japanese style is a must
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunkyo
Yotsuya / Iidabashi
Hotel Chinzanso Tokyo
Hotel Chinzanso Tokyo
#1 of 21 in Bunkyo
APA Hotel Ochanomizu Eki Kita

Been to Hotel Edoya? Share your experiences!