“Wonderful oasis of calm and beauty”

Hotel Chinzanso Tokyo
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels / Ryokan in Bunkyo
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Former a Four Seasons Hotel, now Chinzanso Hotel obviously focuses more on japanese customs, especially for weddings. Nevertheless, due to the fact that wedding parties are held in the Chinzanso Annex, the Hotel itself is a wonderful oasis of peace and calm, beautiful rooms with sight on the huge, magnificent garden, great SPA (only for Hotel Guests) and Onsens.
Only negative point: the Room Service Menu is smaller and less interesting then under Four Seasons management. The Breakfast (in room) needs improvements: only 1 juice, only 1 beverage, only either toasts or pastry - everything else extra charged..... not up to date nowadays, with inferior hotels offering huge buffets.....
But you will enjoy the calm rooms and the very nice service (especially Danielle at the Concierge!!!!)

Room Tip: We had room 1009: Junior Suite and wonderful, sight on the garden.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank FLuisi
There are newer reviews for Hotel Chinzanso Tokyo

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We began our Japan trip staying in Tokyo for 2 nights at Hotel Chinzanso. I wasn't sure what to expect, but we received a straight forward drop off to the hotel from Narita Airport via the Airport Limousine bus service. It is a lovely hotel and we had requested two interconnecting rooms for our two children and ourselves. The rooms I would have to say were the largest I've seen in Japan and they were beautifully appointed. Some may say they are a little outdated, but I found them to have all the mod con's required and comfort was definitely the focus. My only issue were the pillows - I requested a foam pillow and was delivered the biggest heaviest rice pillow I have ever seen and it was almost too heavy to lift let alone sleep on, so I reverted back to the down pillow. The bar was a great place to have a few drinks after dinner and the breakfast room provided a great al a carte option. We didn't have dinner there as it was incredibly expensive and so we found a local pub to experience the local cuisine. Although the location of the hotel is a little way out, as a result its incredibly quiet and peaceful for sleeping and the garden and pool was of a great size compared to other hotels closer into the CBD. However it was easily accessible to the trains (5 min walk) so that was not a deterrent at all. The hotel were also kind enough to provide us with a transit to Tokyo Station upon our departure as we were on our way to the snow and knew we wouldn't be able to fit into the cab with all our luggage. I would definitely consider Hotel Chinzanso again and we will definitely be back to Japan for a family holiday.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rossdurbs
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Located in a beautiful historic garden, the hotel offers good restaurants and an excellent hotel staff. There is also a complete health spa. Opt for a room with a garden view and you will not be disappointed. The rooms are large and comfortable. The downside is its location. Unless you have a car at your service, it is a 10-15 minute walk downhill to the nearest subway station, which means an uphill walk at the end of the day. Personally I found the decor uninspired and felt that the hotel could benefit from a re-do, but that should not be the reason not to stay there. If it wasn't for the location I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay in a room with a garden view. We were there for the autumn leaves and it was spectacular.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank larrydavis441
Reviewed 16 December 2013

For a person like me who knows only English it is difficult to get by in a country like Japan. But my stay at the Hotel Chinzanso in Tokyo completely bowled me over as the staff was able to converse with me in reasonably good English. The hotel, though on the pricier side, is a great place to stay and its facilities are superb. This hotel, perhaps apart from a property in Bangalore, India, has a massive garden perfectly manicured and I call it the perfectly manicured forest. If you stay in this hotel anytime, do spend time in the night especially the garden and you will like it and may be bring your children and catch fireflies with them the next time. The food is excellent with great choice – both Japanese and Western. My stay at the Chinzanso would qualify as a blend of the modern with the traditional.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Monica B
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Chinzanso in September for 4 days and it was fabulous. The rooms were massive and clean, with a beautiful view, luxurious amenities (l'Occitane products), and lots of little extra details that elevated the whole experience. The breakfast was filling and delicious - very authentic and better than any Japanese breakfast we could imagine. The gardens are beautiful and we did a free tour from the guest relations team, as well as a traditional Japanese tea ceremony which was one of our highlights of Tokyo.

The location is slightly out of the way as you have to walk about 5-10 minutes to get to the metro but we certainly did not mind as the neighbourhood was wonderful and safe and gave us some much needed exercise. Overall, a great experience and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I booked this hotel last minute, and was pleasantly surprised at the deal I was given. The room was large, luxurious, the bathroom very well appointed with fluffy towels and l'Occitane products.

The view was fantastic. Arriving at the hotel, the greeting was warm and friendly. I'd found finding wifi in japan challenging, but it was everywhere in this hotel.

I would have give it 5 stars, but when I checked out, the receptionist was very abrupt, to the point of rudeness. I understand that we all have busy mornings, busy times at work, but when you work in hospitality, the smile should always be 'on'. It was a real shame.

Otherwise, an excellent hotel, nicely away from the melee, a real oasis of calm, but within easy reach of the metro.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I am surprised that this hotel is rated by TA as 4.5 stars, instead of 5!

This is a classy establishment, as exemplified by the the anticipatory attentiveness of Ian Jordan, a Guest Relations Manager. Ian approached us on check with an easy charm and with a ready willingness to assist in any way. Thank you Ian for making our stay for special.

It is evident that no expense was spared when the hotel was constructed. The design, finishes and furnishings are supremely elegant. The rooms are beautifully appointed in a traditional style. Our room was particularly spacious with a large bathroom with bath and separate shower and separate WC.

The real test however is a hotel's response to a problem. We had a hiccup with our first breakfast, which engendered a complaint. The Hotel's response was immediate and complete.

As an aside, i note earlier comments as to locality, being problematic. My view differs to the extent that there is bus 61 which stops outside the hotel. it runs every five minutes and terminates at Shinjuku Station in the centre of the metropolis. It is an easy 10 minute pleasant walk to the underground and a 25 minute walk to the JR station at Mejiro. Not a problem!

Room Tip: Face the garden.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank orgia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunkyo
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Shinjuku
Park Hyatt Tokyo
Park Hyatt Tokyo
#1 of 83 in Shinjuku

Been to Hotel Chinzanso Tokyo? Share your experiences!