“10 mins away from Ameyokocho”

Hotel Dormy Inn Akihabara
Ranked #30 of 75 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Like many typical hotel rooms in Tokyo, the inn also had a tiny room. Despite that, love the outdoor onsen which is difficult to come by in the heart of Tokyo. At a much affordable room rate, it also comes with a complimentary Japanese style breakfast which isn't common in most tokyo hotels.

This inn is also smack in the middle of akihabara and ameyokocho, as well as within close vicinity to the metro and JR lines.

Would return for sure!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank luvrui
すえひろの湯ドーミーイン秋葉原, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Hotel Dormy Inn Akihabara, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2016

Thank you for your detailed review of Dormy Inn Akihabara and we appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our hotel facilities and spa.
Thank you once again and we hope you will choose to stay at Dormy Inn Akihabara on your next visit to the city.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Dormy Inn Akihabara

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Location was good, breakfast was great. What a bargain. Of course rooms are small, but we were not inside all the time. The best thing that sets this hotel apart was the amazing onsen. My first experience and it was so relaxing. I have such great memories of my first trip to Japan. Staff was friendly and helpful but they didn't speak English well so don't rely on them for any tourist information. Surprisingly easy to get around in Tokyo.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank reikob

Reviewed 12 April 2013

The location is great with quick access to the metro station and the JR station. I usually use the JR station since I go to places on the Yamanote line. It took me less than 5 minutes to get from the JR station to the hotel with my luggage and even though I arrived close to 10pm I felt safe as there were a lot of people still out.

Checking in was easy, even though reception did not speak much english, since I booked through a hotel website and confirmed before hand that I would be arriving late at night. Be sure to confirm with them if you are arriving close to midnight as they might give your room out since they also do onsen with overnight stay packages. There is no direct website to the hotel so it is a bit hard if you need to get a quick answer from them but you can call them.
The hotel is off the main shopping street and you are surrounded by food. There is a discount supermarket next to the hotel as well.
I felt very safe walking around at night and there is still a lot to see late into the night. You can walk to the Ueno park and see the cherry blossoms. It is a bit of a walk but there are a lot of shops in between to distract you.
The room I was given was the traditional one. It was small and simple but enough for one person and a large piece of luggage to leave open plus a smaller bag. Bathroom is very small and clean. Even though everything looked smaller than normal it was a well thought out room with space to move around. The hot spring is fantastic after a long day out and they even provide free laundry and a coin operated dryer. There is also free wi-fi in the room.
I do have to add that if you are thinking of going up to use the hot spring that they do not allow people with tattoos to share the space with others. Also, please respect the other guests who would like some peace and quiet and keep the talking volume down. Everyone has paid to use the hot spring and they deserve to enjoy their experience.
If you are an independent traveller this is a great place to stay. If you do require some assistance, the language barrier may be a problem. They do try their best to help but sometimes it is hard to get your point across if you do not speak Japanese.

Overall, I absolutely loved staying here and would definitely come back again or would be happy to try the other Dormy Inns in different areas in Tokyo. It offered me a clean and safe place to rest at a very good value.

Room Tip: If you are a non smoker, make sure you request a non smoking room. If not your room will smell like...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank LilaAngel

Reviewed 26 January 2013

There is really good location, only 1min by walk from Suehirocho station of Ginza line. Also you can go to there using by JR, but this hotel is between station and station. I recommend you use Tokyo metro Ginza line.
There are 2types rooms, both are stylish, i stayed in western style room.
there is really clean, big room, with a humidifier and an air cleaner.
it was really comfortable staying for me.
there are Onsen style bath in outside and Sauna.
I spent great time in this hotel. I really recommend this hotel !!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank sawaty

Reviewed 18 January 2013

My first trip to land of rising sun. Happy to be in Japan to meet my friend from Poland. Review as below.

Before i start. do remember to plan your touch down timing around after 12pm. most hotels in Tokyo DO NOT ALLOW early check-in. Unless you pay extra $$..... yes even for the few hours early they will charge you a fee.

ROOM ---
Seen the rooms of Japan on TV and I got to say I experienced it first hand in person how small the room is... real SMALL! how did the Japanese designed such room with precision? A toilet, with standing shower, a bed (can fit two Asians size person). A LCD TV showing some programs FULL HD content! A working desk beside the bed. Still enough space to move around and offer an area to house a sink + table top. Wi-Fi available in the room as well.

VIEW ---Not much of the view as the hotel is tucked between buildings.

LOCATION ---
Giving it 3 rating due to location. Need to walk for a distance especially if drop off from Akihabara (Green Line) station. The trick is to drop off from Suehirocho (Yellow Line), it will greatly reduce your walking distance by 70%!! I made most of my travels in and out of Aki by the yellow line. I should say I am not confused by the complex Tokyo Subway :) Thanks GOOGLE MAP!!!

I will explain a bit more on the location wise portion. It depends where you want to do and go but generally moving around Tokyo is pretty a breeze BUT do not take TAXI. Just go by the Trains. Saves you bucks.

KEY NOTE! Do buy the package train tickets that bundles the unlimited subway tickets (i think there is a 2 or 3 day unlimited train passes) get that to save money! get the tickets at the airport. METRO PASS!

Next, if you have a SMART phone (I am using Samsung S3) with google map installed...you have an execellent ROAD GUIDE! two options from here. 1) use roaming data and let the google map do the job navigating for you, then face your roaming bills when you reach home. 2) sign up the 3G/4G Mi-Fi mobile router and just pay a small fee (depending on the mobile operator) I didnt find out who offer cheaper package. I was using softbank. See photo. Same as train tickets, Get this unit at the airport.

BREAKFAST ---
hotel package do not come with breakfast. you can purchase it additionally at the front desk.

COMPLAINS and COMMENTS ---
no complains.keep it up Dormy! I am very impressed by the hotel management. I will not hesitate to try other Dormy joints if I am back to Tokyo.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank soochie

Reviewed 4 December 2012

In general, I have been very happy with the Dormy Inn chain. They offer what I would call "business hotel plus" accomodations. By "business hotel," I mean Japanese business hotel. The rooms are quite small, and the furnishings are far from lavish. Not a place to honeymoon, but great for established couples, solo travelers, road warriors.

What's nice is that this chain in general provides excellent value - for not too much more money than you would spend at a Japanese business hotel, you usually get an excellent breakfast, a reasonable check-out time, a kitchen nook in your room, and (best of all) a "communal bathing area." Very relaxing.

Regarding this particular Dormy Inn, the rooftop bath is excellent. Under the neon Dormy Inn sign, looking up at the night sky while freezing rain falls, you soak in hot mineral water. Excellent. The breakfast was likewise excellent. What wasn't so great was that back at my room, my bathroom reeked of cigarettes and urine, and the bed was rock hard. I also wasn't so keen on not having a real sink in my bathroom.

My advice would be - stay at the Asakusa Dormy Inn instead. Much better beds, smells, and the rooms tend to have sinks in the bathrooms. And you still get a rooftop onsen.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Gregory K

Reviewed 22 November 2012

Great location, close to several subway/JR lines, connecting major shopping areas of Tokyo. Free spa on rooftop with a terrace outdoor pool.
Rooms facing railway could be noise, thou my room was not. Better notify when booking. Staff can speak a little Chinese and English, but both not very good. Bed in twin bed room is kinda small for 2 people.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Frontdesk Saito

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Akihabara Washington Hotel
Ueno, Asakusa
Superhotel Akihabara Suehirocho
Ueno, Asakusa
Dormy Inn Ueno Okachimachi

Been to Hotel Dormy Inn Akihabara? Share your experiences!