“Sky high dining”

Neighbourhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Sydney, Australia
“Sky high dining”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This place must be seen to be believed, the view over Tokyo is phenomenal and the presentation of each dish showed such artistic flair and dedication to perfection it really was a true dining experience. Some of the dishes shone brighter than others but for what you pay it really is outstanding value. We even had the maitre 'd bring a little music box playing happy birthday and desert platter for my wife's big day and were treated with impressive service even by Japanese standards (chefs bended over backwards to accommodate some special dietary requirements). Perfect for any special occasion.

• Visited February 2014

Haslemere, UK
“Not as good as I hoped for”
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Presentation was excellent and the desserts were beautifully decorative. We had a set menu, some of which was good but my pork 'main' course was overcooked and a bit tough. A bit more seasoning would have helped too. The wine decanters were most unusual. Our guests enjoyed it though so job done.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank oykel
Tokyo, Japan
“This is a restaurant where you can understand "omotenashi" ...”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Often a bit skeptical about going to fancy French restaurants on the 36th floor of a fancy building (Marunouchi Building) ... where they tend to look down on customers, who are not quite up to scratch ... I was delightfully surprised. We felt very welcomed.
The service was fantastic ... (being a foreigner) they naturally handed me an English menu and spoke in very good English ... but, as soon as I answered in Japanese, without any fuss they switched to Japanese.
We had course menu A (which was 4800 yen + tax) for lunch (on a Friday) ... which I felt was very reasonably priced for the quality of food and service we received. We spent nearly 2 hours in the restaurant.
The food was well-paced and just kept coming ... each meal was explained perfectly ... and ALL of the staff seemed to know exactly what they were talking about ... quite a rarity (for the lower ranks of some restaurants)! There was more than enough to eat ... and we didn't need very much for dinner, as a result. Each dish was beautifully presented and each with it's own unique taste that complimented the next dish to come.
They asked us if we had any allergies ... and they served meals accordingly - without any fuss nor trouble. (I mentioned I don't like nuts, so they took the almonds out of one dish and also served me a cacao tart - having checked with me first, rather than a walnut tarte, for dessert.)

Apart from the view being spectacular, overlooking the Imperial Palace and most of Otemachi (you can also see Shinjuku, clearly & easily) ... the staff were more than accomodating, when I asked if I could take a photo from over there. As the tables over there had just been cleared, they offered us, to move tables. They reset the table with a clean tablecloth (the previous on didn't look dirty to me) and brought us a cup of chilled herb tea.

My only complaint ... at the end of the meal, I chose tea (instead of coffee). I prefer Assam tea ... but, as expected they only serve Earl Grey. However, the milk was warmed!
Make sure you book in advance and ask for a seat by the window, overlooking the Imperial Palace. If you go for lunch and have plenty of time, I would book for after 1 p.m.
I will definitely be going again ...

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Vanessa Y
Tokyo
“Lunch time at the top”
Reviewed 28 February 2013

A superb setting awaits you as you step into the Mona Lisa restaurant in the Marunouchi building. Tables are arranged either to view the grounds of the Imperial palace or the modern city skyscape. The food is wonderfully presented with delicate tastes. The menu is changed frequently. The price is reasonable for the excellent service and the delicious food.
The only criticism I had was the wine that we ordered was a little disappointing.
For a special occasion I highly recommend this restaurant. A well deserved Michelin star.

• Visited March 2012