“De-lightful”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“De-lightful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

This is serious food - French haut cuisine with a Japanese spin. We were guests at this restaurant chosen by our Japanese hosts. They knew we spend a lot of time in France and accepted the challenge. We had a chefs tasting menu with around 9 courses. The presentation was exquisitely delicate as were the flavours. Service was impeccable. The petit four trolley (yes it was a trolley) was a triumph. If you are thinking of something high end this should be a strong contender - it's been open around 2 years and accolades seem inevitable.

• Visited October 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Bingil Bay, Australia
“A terrific surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

There aren't a lot of eating options in the area around the Capitol Hotel Tokyu so e were delighted that La Rochelle turned out to be so good.
The food was a delightful French-Japanese mix. We were the only non-Japanese on the evening we visited but the staff were very helpful and friendly.
Wine by the bottle is pricey but for some reason the selection by the glass, although limited, was reasonable.
Of you're in the area and fancy a very pleasant meal, and don't mind spending a bit of cash, then I would recommend it.

• Visited April 2013
Melbourne
“What a great restaurant!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

This was my second visit to La Rochelle Sanno and it is a gem. Excellent Japanese inspired Fine French dining with plenty of room and is a relatively inexpensive place for lunch. We even had the pleasure of French Iron Chef Hiroyuki Sakai being in the restaurant this time and getting a photo with him. Excellent!!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank JP_MELB
Sydney, Australia
“A true winner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012 via mobile

We had booked this restaurant online knowing the reputation of the iron chef.
When we arrived the restaurant was (and remained ) very quite indeed with no more than a handful of diners and this was a Thursday night?
We were shown to our table , which if we had known how quite it was going to be I think we could have had a better table.
When in a restaurant in a country other than your own you cannot expect English to be their forte but truly this was a somewhat of a Issue when communication about the menu and wine list both happened in the first few minutes.
The first wine list arrived and having only been in the county for about 4 hours I had not gotten used to the exchange rate but even with rough calcs this was a very expensive wine list indeed , I think they must have read our faces and a second list arrived - more reasonable but still $100 for a bottle - it was the arrival of a second wine list ( normal as it may be elsewhere ) that made me a little uncomfortable but this could be the language barrier. With the menu we decided to make it easy and go degustation - what a good call
sUPERB !!!!
Inventive , exceptional and very ell balanced - some dishes came out and looked exceptional and then tasted exceptional and others came out and looked normal and then tasted .... Exceptional as well. The detail in each dish was a triumph and the innovation that went into explosion and merging of tastes was the sign of a true inventor and food artist. it was also a real fusion of Japanese and French styles and product. The standout for me was the fois GRAS - magnificent and I can still remember the sheer delight as it melted in my mouth. A second triumph was ??? , something else that made me laugh when I placed it on my fork , into my mouth and then had to check if I had dropped it as it seemed to have literally evaporated in my mouth but the taste it left behind was great.
On a few occasions I tasted one element and thought ok and a second and thought ok again and then the two together and Wow Wow Wow - an artist at work.

I could make comments about the lack of atmosphere in the restaurant but being honest when you go to a restaurant about this its like making an effort to go and see a famous painting ' yes if it's hung in a fantastic gallery it gives the painting more position but at the end of the day it's about the painting. Here it's about the food and the food was exceptional and the restaurant is still pretty darn nice.

The true test is would you recommend - absolutely and would I go back - I will next time I am in tokyo !!!

3 Thank TravellingRainbow
San Francisco, California
“Personal Greeting from Iron Chef Hiroyuki Sakai”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

I would say that this restaurant experience was the highlight of my Japan trip. After dining at some of the best rated places in Tokyo, this was the most memorable and favorite. The food and service was excellent. The ambiance was very elegant however not pretentious. Our server, who was also a Sommelier, spoke English well and explained all of our courses in detail. After we ate and imbibed, Mr. Sakai-san came to our table to thank us for coming. I was pleasantly surprised how nice and youthful he was. I hope I will have the opportunity to go back again.

• Visited October 2011