“Beautiful and comfortable hotel with super location!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Palace Hotel Tokyo

Palace Hotel Tokyo
Ranked #1 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Croydon, United Kingdom
“Beautiful and comfortable hotel with super location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Aside from the stellar location, I actually thought the room even at the lowest category was very well-planned. From the bedroom space to the cupboard that housed the minibar and snacks, everything was grand and well designed. Comfort was a given throughout. Even the newspapers clipped outside our room each morning I thought was genius in its simplicity. We stayed for 5 nights and although the rooms were great, we felt the service from the reception desk lacklustre. It was manned by an off mix of individuals, at times a little nervous and other times cold and stern. Also, the lounge chairs had so many stains on them and i was a little surprised that a hotel that did so many other things right did not see to them and expected guests to take cocktails and dine in these conditions. On the other hand,the bellhops were probably the most welcoming than any other hotel we've been to and we travel plenty. They were very well informed and much more of a delight to interact with. So in summary, the rooms are really awesome but service, a little hit and miss.

Room Tip: Very good sized rooms on an international scale. we would recommend the standard doubles and anythin...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Was here on a family holiday and stayed 3 nights. The location being near Tokyo station and opposite the imperial palace grounds could not be beaten. Room was reasonably sized and comfortable enough even with an extra person in the room.

Breakfast with a view of the palace was also a good way to start the morning. In fact the few days we were there, entry fees for the imperial palace was waived. Not sure why... but it a joy to wander around the palace gardens and tokyo and return to this hotel at the end of the day. Only gripe is that is a little pricey -- but u get what u pay for in this case.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I had stayed at this hotel towards the end of 2013 and was impressed. I went to Tokyo again a few weeks ago. For this second trip, I made reservations at the Park Hyatt figuring that I should check out the competition. However, as the trip approached, I realized I really wanted to go back to the Palace Hotel based on my prior experience, so I decided to go for the Palace Hotel again. I'm glad I did as I had another great experience at the Palace Hotel.
Location is great being right next to Tokyo station, walking distance to Ginza and sitting on top of the Otemachi subway station that provides access to four subway lines that gets me to everywhere I need to go.
It is also the only hotel literally right on the Imperial Palace grounds. It was just an amazing experience to have breakfast every morning on the hotel restaurant terrace overlooking the Imperial Palace moat where one can enjoy the imperial palace grounds with the occasional fish, ducks and even swans leisurely swimming by in the moat. It is hard to believe that the hotel is literally at the center of a 30+ million metropolitan area.
As for service, I can not imagine better service, especially the service provided by the ladies at the club level lounge, including Ms. Suzuki (I hope you enjoy Manhattan this summer with our restaurant recommendations). When checking in at the club level, I was first greeted with a warm "Welcome Back", and then I was handed a bag with a bottle of contact lens solution and a nice cloths hanger that I left behind in my room six months ago. They kept my things for six months without me even asking. I was flabbergasted and totally sold on the hotel at thatcpoint as I have not had any similar experience anywhere else. It didn't hurt that I was upgraded both times, but I think I would have enjoyed my stays even without the upgrades as most rooms have good sized balcony overlooking the Imperial Palace grounds framed by Tokyo skyline.
Design of rooms and common area are top notch as they were modern but also very thoroughly uniquely Japanese at the same time with no details overlooked as far as I can tell. The result is that the hotel has substantially more personality than other five star chain hotels, which is something that few modern hotels can pull off. It's difficult to convey in words, but one gets the feeling that this is a special place. I'm sure other hotels in Tokyo are nice, but all I know is that I can not say enough good things about this one.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank rjh2016
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

This hotel is high-end, and it is worth every penny (or yen). We had an extremely spacious room overlooking the Imperial Palace Garden. The staff and service were exemplary. This is a beautiful hotel in a fantastic location. Definitely one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. I would not hesitate to stay here again. We absolutely loved this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights at the Palace Hotel last week on the last lag of our 2 weeks holiday. True to its name - Palace - we were treated like royalty the minute we arrived at the hotel in a taxi to the time the airport limousine bus pulled out of its driveway 3 days later.

Our club room was on the top floor, Level 23. It was very spacious with balcony complete with 2 sun chairs & table, directly overlooking the moat of the Imperial Palace. The bathroom was beautifully designed and well-stocked with luxurious amenities.

The Club Lounge is located on Level 19 & it's one of the best lounges we have been to. It even has a sun terrace! There is a wide variety of drinks available during happy hours including draft beer on tap and canapés. It's a great place to relax & have pre-dinner drinks.

We had dinner at Grand Kitchen on our first night & the food was so good that we went back the next night to have something different & it was as good as the previous night.

Location of the hotel cannot be any better. 5 minutes walk to Tokyo Station & 20 minutes to Ginza and the Imperial Palace right at your doorstep.

Would have no problem recommending the Palace Hotel to anyone travelling to Tokyo!

TIPS:
If you are travelling around Japan and Tokyo is the start & last city, stay at the Palace Hotel on your last lag as you will probably not stay at another hotel as luxury as the Palace.
Request for the club room with balcony. It's worth it!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Writing this review brings me joy, because of the memories it brings back to me. Everything about this hotel is classic beauty, from the woods to the flowers to the sculptures to the elevators! We did reserve a club level room which undoubtedly enhanced our experience. As we went to check in, and the lobby level clerk brought up our reservation, he said, "Oh Sir, you have a separate check-in in the Club Lounge on the 19th floor. He then had someone escort us up there. From then on, we were in the hands of the delicate and beautiful Shoko and the rest of the staff, who could not be more helpful and wonderful. The club lounge was a wonderful place for both happy hour and breakfast. Happy hour included wonderful drinks and excellent draft beer, with appetizers and salad that would easily have substituted for dinner. The tomatoes in the salad were farmer's market tasty and will make it very hard for me to tolerate what passes for a tomato in the USA. Breakfast, which we were told would not be particularly sumptuous, had everything we wanted - great coffee, fresh-squeezed orange and grapefruit juice, wonderful croissants and pastries with flaky crust like the best Parisian cafe, perfect scrambled eggs and breakfast. The lounge also has a balcony with a panoramic view of the Imperial Palace and gardens, and we even got to see Mt. Fuji in the distance.
Our room was spacious and elegant, our balcony was spacious with comfortable chairs and table for enjoying the outside. Amenities were abundant and opulent. I'd go back in a minute.

Room Tip: Club level room with balcony - no question
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michael K
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

I last stayed at The Palace 20 odd years ago - it was the typical expat business hotel, long grey corridors and plenty of beige. It's changed: the hotel and indeed this area of the city, have had a makeover. The hotel tries - and succeeds - to capture an element of Japan, whether it be in the relatively minimal rooms, flowers (sensational) or just the general decor. This is not a Four Seasons or a Peninsula, and all the better for it. If you want an international hotel of 5 star standard (or more), but want a change from the usual suspects, then this is the hotel to stay at. Best rooms gave balconies and overlook the Imperial Palace. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Businessman69
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo
Conrad Tokyo
#1 of 108 in Minato
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,703 reviews
Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi

Been to Palace Hotel Tokyo? Share your experiences!