“Thank you New Otani”

Hotel New Otani Tokyo The Main
Ranked #10 of 82 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I spent my honeymoon in Japan and this hotel was recommended. Having never been to Tokoyo I found the staff extremely helpful. They organised tours and helped us navigate around the city. The hotel was located close to shops and the metro. The subway system was so easy and cheap to move around. On the opposite side of the hotel was a whole street of restaurants. I would recommend the grilled seafood which is cooked on a hot plate on your table. The 400 year old Japanese garden on the roof was amazing. My husband and I are already planning to bring our friends here.

Room Tip: We had the standard room which was roomy with a lovely room of the city. Ample room compared to Lond...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sal R
Write a ReviewReviews (1,621)

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here, it was only a block away from the metro line, and there was lots of shops in the area. The room itself was quite spacious when planning our travel to Tokyo we realized that most hotel rooms were going to be small compared to American standards, but not this place , the rooms were amazing! they also had incredible gardens and lots of restaurants and shops inside the building to choose from. The only drawback was the breakfast at the hotel's restaurant it was a bit over priced for what it was, only a few croissants and some fruit and juice for about $35 USD per person, we decided to take it because we were short on time as we were departing to Kyoto that day, but if you have time , there are plenty of food options outside of the hotel. Nonetheless i would most definitely stay here again. Also the staff is very friendly , helpful and most speak good english.

Room Tip: if you are a non-smoker, make sure you specify this. othe than that the rooms are quite spacious for...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandy Z
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I spent a week at the New Otani in Tokyo this December. It's a large, well maintained hotel complex, that I have been staying at on regular visits since 1990. The rooms are small but loaded with subtly high end fittings. The service is efficient. There is a multitude of very average but expensive restaurants in the complex, as well as better choices in the nearby Akasaka-mitsuke area, which also has a handy subway station on the Ginza line. The service is efficient but very impersonal and rigid.

On the negative side, though I have had the habit of staying at the New Otani for over 23 years, and spent my honeymoon in a suite there, there is never any 'welcome back' or acknowledgement of this when I check in. They don't seem to keep a database on clients meaning there is no personal touch. I joined their New Otani Club last year and was unable even to log in to make the reservations this year, despite several interactions with them through email. Being in The Club seemed to make no difference on price or services. The prices are very high in global terms, even for 'special packages' offered at around USD 350 in the off season. It is the only hotel that I've stayed at in the world that does not offer open access to the gym for guests, which is a serious shortcoming that has been going on for decades. I wouldn't expect this to change, given Japanese rigidity. My request for a late check-out, due to a midnight flight, was turned down immediately without any effort to accommodate.

Though i have started looking at other hotel options, I may return to the New Otani in future out of habit and for its location, which I'm used to from four years I spent living in the area in the 1990s. But it could be managed so much better and realize a much higher potential. Chotto zannen desu ne....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The hotel is conveniently located very close to a busy metro station. The hotel rooms are a nice size and offer amenities like free wi-fi and Shisheido bath products. The breakfast buffet is a little expensive but a good value for the price. The staff at the hotel are very helpful, always polite and pleasant.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Main building and was very happy with my room, I wouldn't see a need to pay more...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2013

The rooms in this hotel were nothing to write home about, but the Japanese gardens on the property were beautiful. The location was also ideal, being close to many restaurants and the metro.

Their breakfast was terrible though. I was so glad when we left that I did not have to have their breakfast again. I would also stay away from their "in room" Japanese style massage. It was the worst that I have ever had.

All in all, it was not horrible, but there were definitely things that needed work.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Whatever you are in Tokyo for, this location would be right! Business, shopping, travel, you name it...

Great staff... extremely helpful. I had several concerns since it was my first time to this hotel...but had no challenges AT ALL. Everything went absolutely seamlessly...

More than adequate options for food...no concern there as well...

Surprised (a bit disappointed) though with their membership program!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The hotel is located at a most ideal and convenience place, with easy access to major stores, a wide range of good restaurants and metro stations. The facilities are also excellent, and there are a number of high-quality restaurants inside. However, the services provided at the concierge were rather disappointing, as the representatives at the desk had the tendency of providing the requested information at the absolute minimum, and I had to often ask follow-up questions to get the information that I needed. I was also terribly disappointed when I could not find the room key and asked for a replacement. They could not automatically cancel the key (it was not a card key), and due to security reasons (anybody can use and go up to guest rooms), they asked me to change a room. As it was around 11 p.m. when they asked me to do so, and I was totally exhausted after a long day, I was not at all happy. I was hoping that they could come up with better solutions to help me. For the price that I paid, I thought that the customer services were not adequate.

Room Tip: Depending on the price that you have to pay (if it is above 40,000 yen), the services provided here...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Akasaka, Roppongi
Akasaka, Roppongi
The Capitol Hotel Tokyu
Ginza, Tokyo Nihonbashi
Mitsui Garden Hotel Ginza Premier

Been to Hotel New Otani Tokyo The Main? Share your experiences!