“Fantastic but Trip Advisor map is wrong!”
Review of Marunouchi Hotel

Marunouchi Hotel
Ranked #19 of 75 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed for two nights at the end our trip and were really impressed with the contemporary design of the rooms. Before I go on, please note that the Trip Advisor map of the location is completely wrong. It shows the hotel as being to the south of Tokyo Station. It is in fact immediately to the north, just across from the Marunouchi North exit of the station. We unfortunately wasted an hour looking for it, when it is very easy to find if you take the Marunouchi North Exit. If you are taking the subway, there is an entrance to the hotel in the basement, which is really convenient.

Back to the review, we were really impressed by contemporary design of the rooms. A cut above the run of the mill design of other hotels. We only had a standard room, but thought it was a good size, with modern decor. The room amenities were beautiful, with everything you could possibly need, including shoe shine and complimentary bottled water. The outlook across to the station was interesting and we didn't have any trouble with train noise.

There is a row of seats in the lobby that look out on a zen garden, which we thought was a nice touch. The restaurant also has a good outlook, with a deck area that I imagine would be nice in summer.

The location is superb, Marunouchi is a beautiful shopping area with wide tree lined streets, quite uncharacteristic of the rest of Tokyo. I love the excitement of Shinjuku and Shunjuku, which are not to be missed, but it was a good place to stay to wind down at the end of a month long trip. Also, it is a convenient place to stay if you are planning a trip to Tokyo Disney, as it's only a 15 min train ride away.

Our check in was a bit agitating, as we had apparently only booked for one person and this resulted in an additional surcharge for the breakfast and new vouchers being made up. It took an explicably long time for new vouchers to be prepared and we were literally drumming our fingers wondering where the girl had gone. Also as mentioned in some other reviews, the breakfast is very limited and over priced. We were pleasantly surprised when we were offered a selection of eggs and sausage made to order on the first day, as well as the continental selection, however halfway through our meal we were told there had been a mistake and our rate only included the continental breakfast and not to expect the same the next day! Fair enough, but the way this was communicated was abrupt, verging on rude. At first we thought they were going to charge us for their mistake, but we were able to clarify this was not the case. Apart from the incident and the slow check in, we found the staff to be helpful, if a little reserved.

All in all I highly recommend this hotel, but suggest you forgo the breakfast.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Enjoyed my stay here for 3 nights in standard room with a nice view looking out to the Tokyo Station. Location is right opposite to the Marunouchi North Exit in Tokyo staton. 7th floor lobby area has a cigar bar area that is open until 4 AM weekdays and 11 PM on weekends. Restaurant has american and continental breakfast options with a buffer that serves fresh fruits, cereal, breads, coffee, tea, fresh fruit and vegetable juice. Staff is very friendly and currency exchange service is available in the lobby.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Roadstartraveler
Reviewed 3 January 2014

A very modern and comfortable hotel in an excellent location, opposite of Tokyo station.
This gives the hotel direct train access to Narita (via Narita express) and Haneda with one change at Shinagawa station.
To get to the hotel, head towards the Marunouchi North exit at Tokyo station.

The hotel is modern and nicely designed with medium sized rooms that are very clean and comfortable. All modern amenities are there, including free wifi service.
My room was a semi deluxe facing the Station. I could not hear anything from the busy rail station as windows are sealed perfectly.

Staff are very helpful and friendly, except at the French restaurant that is used for breakfast. I felt they were somewhat 'snooty'. Breakfast itself is not great. Limited selection of food that constantly needs replenishing. They only have filter coffee or tea and I thought that the coffee was not nice (bitter and luke warm).

The hotel is right above a large shopping mall with dozens of restaurants and shops. There is also direct access to a department store with a food department. The area is surrounded by office buildings, which makes the hotel interesting to business travelers. There are hundreds of restaurants to explore in less than ten minutes walk from the hotel. The Imperial Palace Gardens are in easy walking distance as is Ginza. Tsukiji Fish market, Roppongi and many other tourist highlights are within an easy taxi or subway ride.

I booked my stay on agoda.com and had a very reasonable rate for this hotel. I will be happy to stay there again when traveling to Tokyo the next time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I was invited to give a lecture in Tokyo, Japan, and my Japanese hosts arranged for my accomodation at the Marunouchi in the Chiyoda area of Tokyo. Fronting a busy street across from the train station, with a bustling shopping center on the ground floor of the building, one would never imagine that a quick elevator flight would zip up to the the quiet and tasteful haven that is the lobby of the Marunouchi.

My room was spacious by Japanese standards (based on other rooms I encountered during my visit to Japan). The king size bed was extremely comfortable, the room extremely quiet and I slept very, very well. There were controls from the nightstand beside the bed for all the lights in the room. The desk had a comfortable chair. WiFi (free) worked very well--the English language instructions were clear for getting connected, as they were for the TV. There were numerous thoughtful amenities--a fresh robe and pair of soft white slippers each day, a complimentary bottle of water from the wet bar, and an electric hot tea maker whose modus operandi took me a few minutes to figure out but that worked just fine once I did. When checking in one is given a choice of complimentary newspaper, delivered to the room and hung on the door handle early the next morning.

As someone who is always misplacing my key card, I loved the system whereby the key is placed in a slot by the door, enabling the lights to go on. When exiting the room, taking the card turns all of the lights off, saving electricity.

The bathroom was average size but immaculately clean and very well equipped with a hair dryer and numerous individually wrapped quality toiletry items--not just shampoo, lotion, shower cap and shoe buffer but comb, razor, toothbrush and paste, and various other thoughtful amenities--even a back pillow for the bathtub, I felt like a barbarian who was being introduced to indoor plumbing for the first time when I experienced the Toyo toilet seat, gently heated and with two pleasantly warm water jets personal hygiene. I learned that these types of toilet seats are not uncommon in Japan, but nowhere did I encounter one that was as fully and properly functional as the one in my hotel room at the Marunouchi.

Breakfast was included in my room rate, and I had the choice of going to one restaurant for the western style breakfast buffet and another for the Japanese breakfast (both priced at over $20 pp if not included in the room rate. For the first two mornings I had the western breakfast but my third and last morning I tried the Japanese breakfast. At my subsequent hotels the breakfast buffet included both Japanese and western items, and quite honestly I liked that system better, If there's one thing I would change about the Marunouchi it is having to choose between the Japanest and western breakfasts instead of being able to opt for components of both.

I left Tokyo it was on the Kyoto bullet train. Taking the elevator to the lowest level of the Marunouchi brings into a passageway right through the train station, eliminating any need to go outside and cross the busy street. From there you can take a train to anywhere in Japan, as well as to Narita Airport for your departure. The Marunouchi couldn't be more convenient in terms of location.

I would not hesitate to stay here again or to recommend it highly to anyone considering staying here.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Profco
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Location of this hotel is perfect, great view over the Tokyo station. Rooms are not big, but acceptable size, and good design and comfort. They serve breakfast too late, starting at 7:00 so if you have to leave around 7:00 or early, (my case) you will not have the chance to eat breakfast !! I can not recall seen a hotel that starts breakfast at 7:00 that is too late. Maybe they are doing it to save some money, since they know many people have to be at the station around 7:00-7:30 ???... The hotel is overpriced, at around $300 a night for a room. I did not have the option of booking a single room, so was thinking that the charge is per room, not per person... The hotel is beautiful, wish the price was more reasonable.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Location is perfect and right below the tokyo station. Narita express is just within ten minutes of walk. Nice boutique hotel, staffs are fluent in English, and excellent on service. Free wifi. Free water kettle for those that would love a hot cup of water or tea. Room is nicely classic wood color designs. Small bathroom but with a nice bathtop. Includes all the amenities you need. But, since this is right above the busiest station in Japan, you can hear the trains and can be a bit noisy during heavy traffic hours. Still, I would recommend this for business trip.

Room Tip: request higher floor
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Right in the heart of Tokyo, directly connected by underground mall to Tokyo Central station. Perfect location I would imagine for business travel, but I was there with my family and two young children. Did not notice any other kids in the hotel, in fact. The hotel is close to the Imperial Palace and Gardens, Ginza and Tsukiji. Also well sized rooms for Tokyo, bathroom is still tiny though. Very clean and efficient as expected - service was perfunctory, friendly but not 'personal'.

Absolutely nothing to complain about my stay (except for the extreme heat in August) but would I come back to stay again? Probably not unless on business.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Mpua66
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Hotel Metropolitan Tokyo Marunouchi
The Tokyo Station Hotel
Hotel Ryumeikan Tokyo
Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
Super Hotel LOHAS Tokyo Station Yaesu Chuo-guchi
Mitsui Garden Hotel Kyobashi

Been to Marunouchi Hotel? Share your experiences!