“My New Favorite Tokyo Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Tokyo Station Hotel

The Tokyo Station Hotel
Ranked #2 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Kaneohe, HI
“My New Favorite Tokyo Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

This is the second time I've stayed in this hotel, and it didn't just meet my expectations, it exceeded them. I had asked for a dome room with a view overlooking the concourse of the train station, and I was assigned just the room I wanted. I've probably described this in an earlier review, but this one was slightly different than the other one, in that it seemed a little larger. Other than that, though, it was just what I wanted it to be. It had an extremely high ceiling, bathroom amenities including a Toto "Washlet" toilet that does just about everything for you, including raising the lids, flushing automatically and "cleaning you off" when you're through. The only thing different from the one I have at home (it's hard to imagine life without one when you've first enjoyed it) was that there was no "dryer." The bed was huge, soft and with a huge amount of pillows that made you feel as if you were an oriental potentate. Despite being right at the largest train station in Tokyo, you never heard a sound, even though announcements are going on literally right outside your window, and screaming kids are running around all over the place, not to mention the huge holiday crowds.

I forgot to mention that the bathtub/shower area is just special. The tub is large and deep, so you have an almost "onsen" like experience. Then there is the shower, which is right next door to the tub, and it has an elegant "rain" shower head. It's hard to decide which is the more decadent.

The hotel itself is "old-time" luxurious, with high ceilings, deep carpets, long hallways, and it takes you back to an era of (I almost hate to say it again) luxury that is sadly lacking in most hotels.

I opted for the "breakfast package" which included a daily trip to their fantastic "atrium" where a huge and lavish array of wonderful foods was in evidence. Everything you could possibly want or need (and a few things you probably wouldn't) was there: meats, pastries, salads, soups, etc. (I don't want to take the space talking about all of them) and an on-site chef who whipped up tasty omelets. In short, it would be hard to find another breakfast as super as this!

All in all, it was a welcome return for me, and I vowed I would always stay here when I return to Tokyo for at least part of my trip. Anyone who wants a perfect stay in Tokyo need head no farther (if one is arriving by train) than this sensational hotel.

Room Tip: Be sure you ask for one of the "Dome" rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Whitsiepoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
La Mesa, CA.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Not inexpensive, but $523 for a large room, with twin beds on the palace side of the hotel, actually with a small glimpse of some of the castle buildings including a more than excellent breakfast buffet in Tokyo is a steal.

In 2005 as I recall my wife and I walked through this hotel, we had been to the Luminaria light display in Marunouchi and were walking back to Tokyo Station from Yurakucho. It was cold and had started to rain so we cut through the building to get to the train station. It was an old, old barn with the widest hall on the 2nd floor I have ever seen in any hotel anywhere.

Since then JR East has spent a large fortune restoring the hotel, adding a 3rd and 4th floor which we burned out in 1945 in the fire raids and restored the original two domes. The central hall was reduced in width allowing the palace side rooms to be enlarged to rather long rectangular shape, new everything, beautifully "restored" and refurbished. It is a joy to see what can be done with an old building and lots and lots of money.

We stayed in room 3066, a superior twin room with a bare view of the palace grounds. My only complaint is that the wing chair was not comfortable for reading, the sofa was fine. Beds were great, quiet despite overlooking the very busy front taxi arrival area.

We ate a light dinner at the Toraya Resturant on the 2nd floor, had a vegetarian dinner assorted steamed vegetables over rice with a ponzu sauce which to my surprise was excellent. My only criticism is that the green tea which I ordered with the after dinner sweet was not of the same quality as was served at the Toraya shop in the basement of Mid-Town Center. That was tea to go back for again and again. We went out walking afterwards to see the lights in Marunouchi 2 blocks west of the hotel. On our return we had a beer and an apple soda in the 1st floor lounge. Good service, not inexpensive, but it is Tokyo.

The breakfast is an additional fee of 2,000 yen per person, but it is a very elaborate buffet of western and Japanese dishes of which I ate more than I should have. Excellent food and excellent service in a nice setting.

Note, this hotel is built along side of the railroad tracks and stretches for about 300 yards, so you may wind up with quite a bit of a hike from one of the two elevators to your room. Such is life. The building dates to about 1906 was completed in 1914, burned out in 1945, closed in 2007 for a 6 year revovation/restoration. There are newer western style hotels in the city generally more expensive, but for a trip back in time at the most central location in all of Tokyo this is the place to stay.

Oh, for giggles, go to the 2nd floor where you can overlook the rotundas at the North and South Marunouchi entrances to the station. Better than the scramble across the intersection at Shibuya, trust me.

Room Tip: Pay the up charge for a room on the palace side, or if you are feeling flush a room on the 3rd floor...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ted C
SIN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

My family of 4 (2 boys 9,7) stayed total 6 nights in Tokyo Station Hotel. From reservations, pre-stay assistance until departure, everything was perfect! I would like to thank Marie Antoinette Mori (Chief Concierge) for her personal attention to every of our enquiries. We were thankful that she speaks English and was able to answer to all our needs. She had arranged for porter services to meet us at the NEX platform in TYO station and bring us right to the hotel door step. On our departure days, the other concierge staff proactively brought us to the Shinkansen tracks as well as to the NEX platform in the station, otherwise we might get lost!

The property is newly furnised and re-opened in Oct 2012. Rooms are decent size per JP standard and the bathrooms are fantastic, especially the rain bath and the auto toilet! My boys were give some souveniors and they were thrilled!

Location is extremely convenient. You can get to practically anywhere easily from all the JR lines. There is a direct access path from the South Exit of the train station to the Hotel. The JR travel service center is located at the North Exit of the train stationl; you can reserve your Shinkansen tickets etc with the assistance of the agents who speaks very good English. Lots of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel at the surrounding buildings or within the train station.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely be back.

Room Tip: Get room nearer to the elevator if you have small kids and prefer to walk less.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank pandaq
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

My wife and I and 2 kids (4, 3) stayed in Tokyo Station Hotel for 12 nights at the end of October/beginning of November. This review can not possibly express the pleasure of our stay. I can't imagine our vacation being better had we stayed elsewhere.

Getting to Tokyo Station from Narita is simple. Once you get into Tokyo station, it does take a little work to find the hotel. Following signs and asking, as others has posted, helps. Still, with no need to drag luggage into a cab, you can't beat the convenience, especially once you start to use the metro/trains for sightseeing. The station has everything you need, though it takes a little work to navigate your way around (which can be frustrating). Tokyo Station Ramen Street was an especially convenient place to go coming back to the hotel after sightseeing. Also, about a block away, are many high rises with dozens of shops, restaurants, coffee shops, and small grocery stores on the basement floor. With kids, this provided us with every convenience we might need, often without ever needing to go outside (there are tunnels from the Tokyo station underground that lead into these buildings).

On to the hotel. I don't know where to start....The staff is remarkable. Let's start there. The staff could not have been more gracious during our entire stay. We felt so welcomed from the start and by the end of our trip we felt like the staff was family. I must also recognize Ms. Mori. Even before we arrived, she helped to not only secure me Pocket WIFI (which I highly recommend) but several restaurant reservations. Then, during our stay, she helped us with other reservations, sightseeing suggestions, and friendly conversation. Additionally, she has the insight to provide the kids little gifts upon our arrival back 'home' several times, making it far easier to 'parent' after a long day of sightseeing. The hotel provides PJs for all guests. Every night, the entire family would come home to pressed Pajama shirts. The kids' shirts had Shinkansen bullet trains embroidered, and our kids couldn't wait to get into them each night. It was very hard not to steal them at the end of our trip! The hotel also provided, in addition to all the great toiletries, toothbrushes, toothpaste, and shinkensen cups for the kids.

The Hotel. It is beautiful. Obviously, the facade is a landmark. Inside, the hotel is flawless. Everything has been redone to perfection. It is very modern and remarkably well designed and exceptionally clean. I agree with others, there are some long, long hallways, but this is a minor criticism.

The Room. We stayed in a Dome King. It is sound proof. We opted for this because we wanted to see the station below us, a unique experience. Watching all the salary men and women going to work each morning and leaving each evening served as bonus entertainment. One night, with the kids asleep, we were entertained by a young man trying to coerce a women to join him on a train ride home, while the rest of the station was empty (he failed). For some, the rooms may be small. For us, the Dome King was great. We are used to sleeping with our kids in a King Bed on vacation. There was plenty of room for the kids to play in front of the bed on the floor with toys. The bathroom is great. The shower is huge and has an amazing rainfall shower head in the middle, along with an adjacent tub. The toilet has all the expected Japanese features, including a heated seat. Our kids were disappointed to leave the Tokyo toilets.

Restaurants: We were never disappointed in the restaurants (sorry, forget the names, but you'll know what I mean). We ate in the sushi restaurant with my wife's aunt, who lives in Tokyo. Since we had the kids, we secured a private room. The sushi was wonderful, and the service was outstanding. Next, we ate at the Irish restaurant. I had the Shepard's Pie, fantastic, along with a Guinness Draft,while my wife raved about the fish and 'crisps.' The staff mentioned that they brought members of the Irish Consulate in to try the food before the restaurant launched. During that dinner, our waitress from the sushi restaurant from the night before came over to say hello and wanted to take pictures with our kids. As a parent, this sort of thing really makes you feel welcome.

The atrium breakfast is not to be missed. It has a phenomenal selection, ranging from traditional Japanese fare to omelets, meats, pastry, and fruits. And the brioche french toast was amazing. It is a high end breakfast in, though and amazing space, a surprisingly relaxed environment.

Also, I should mention the Oak Bar, where I stopped, unfortunately, oncet. Great little bar...intimate, with a Japanese Whiskey, along with a surprisingly good selection of international whiskey and US bourbon.

Well, that is my take. Sorry for the delay getting it out. I guess I'll conclude by saying that when I come back to Tokyo, I'll stay at Tokyo Station Hotel. I had a long stay there with my family and at the end of the trip I felt really sad to leave the hotel and the people who worked there

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank JKJKJKEK
Boston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights as part of our 8 days 7 nights Japan trips. The rooms are very decent in size per Japanese standard. I didn't feel cramped. The bathrooms are amazing where the amenities are aplenty. The housekeeping did an amazing job! i spilled some tea on the bed and the HK replaced everything including a new blanket. I say this this because in some US major chains, they do not replace blankets. There is also free wifi which is hard to come by in many Japanese hotels without a fee. The staff was wonderful. The location is connected to the major Tokyo Station and its by the Marounouchi South exit (South Passage pass the South Court where there are some food shops) and connects to 2 side entrances to the hotel. the train station is majorly huge! i took my parents to Shibuya and Shinjuku. The staff gave us a station map to help us navigate and escorted us to the station where to get on. They also took us to the Shinkansen on the day we checked out and brought us there to board our train to Kyoto. There is a major shopping mall attached to the station where foods are aplenty. One thing for sure, you'll never go hungry. Like other reviewers said, the hotel restaurants are on the expensive side(would you expect less?). You do have to pay for the health club and the spa (saunas and hot springs) separately. Tokyo Station is a major station to connect to practically everywhere. It's so convenient and quiet. The beds are heavenly. They did a great job on renovation. its beautiful lobby with a fireplace. I will be back to stay here again no doubt!

Room Tip: Get the rooms on the high floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank hrdabster
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Fantastic property! It's exceptionally clean, and luxe. Room sizes are great and the bathrooms are heavenly. Great restaurants below the hotel, and the location is extremely convenient! Would definitely return!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ADHassan
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

We have just completed two stays within a short period at the Station Hotel and we can not wait for the opportunity to return. The standard of service is outstanding and the quality of the fittings and furnishings gives one the feeling of being on one of the great transatlantic liners of the last century. The attentiveness of every member of staff was exceptional even down to the bell-boy who bravely took our two exceedingly heavy suitcases all the way to the platform of the Narita Express in the station below - through rush-hour crowds. A wonderful hotel, one of the greats.

Room Tip: Palace facing rooms are quieter and a superior king is worth the extra because of the increased spac...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Palace Hotel Tokyo
Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo
Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi
Hotel Ryumeikan Tokyo

Been to The Tokyo Station Hotel? Share your experiences!