“Ticked all the boxes”

Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Poole, United Kingdom
“Ticked all the boxes”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed in the Garden Tower, large double room (for 1) very comfortable, clean and all amenities you'd expect. Breakfast in the top of the tower restaurant for Mount Fuji views, but expect to wait to be seated. Well worth the effort. Good choice of in-house restaurants for lunch & dinner but plenty of alternatives in the local area within walking distance (loved the Ninja restaurant at Akasaka Tokyu Plaza). Staff very helpful and smiley.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank cxlynn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

An extremely large hotel split into 3 buildings. We stayed in the Garden Tower and were very pleased. Hotel is near a subway station which makes it very handy for getting around. In addition within a few hundred yards there is a restaurant area with dozens of restaurants of every kind. Breakfast was very good with a large buffet catering to all tastes. A delightful Japanese garden is contained within the hotel grounds. The charge for the use of the pools was the only complaint. A hotel of this standard should offer free pool access to residents.

Sleaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Booked by the travel agent for a 1 night pre-cruise stop over and overall we were quite satisfied.
Arriving at 09-45 we could not check in until 14-00hrs which meant hanging around the hotel for 4hrs after a 10hr flight, not very good. After a couple of hours and needing food we seated ourselves in the restaurant overlooking the Japanese garden and ordered 2 rounds of sandwiches with fries and tea for 2. The food was most enjoyable and we had no complaints with it. However, after converting the JPY to English pounds it left a bitter taste £48 or $80, hence the title. We found the room clean, roomy and well equipped with everything you needed including toothbrushes, slippers and hairbrushes which amused my wife with me being bald.
In the evening and being tired we decided to risk the high prices and eat in the hotel. We enjoyed a lovely 4 course meal, really excellent, for only £69 or $116 and the waiter was very friendly and attentive. If I found myself booked into this hotel again by the travel agent I would not mind at all.

1 Thank ROBERT W
United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

First of all, the location is pretty good - a three minute walk from the pivotal Akasaka subway station. The sprawling hotel comprises a 17 storey so-called Main hotel and a 40 storey Garden Tower separated by nearly 100 metres of corridor. I haven't stayed in the tower for a couple of years, but back then it had large rooms, sparsely furnished, with the hardest beds I've ever experienced. The Main hotel block rooms are far smaller, more recently refurbished, and with beds which help overcome jet lag rather than reduce your chances of sleep. Whichever block you choose, the bathrooms are small - and of course come equipped with the ubiquitous electric lavatory. Press the wrong button and you'll self induce colonic irrigation, and it's worth learning how to turn off the seat warmer.
The complex - for that is what it is - is built on the side of a hill. This makes it quite confusing. The lobby floor of the Main hotel is on the equivalent floor to the 6th floor of the Tower (so the Tower lobby is on the 6th floor). There are restaurants and shops all over the place. The hotel is a hive of activity during the day - navigating the wide, shop-lined corridor between the two parts of the hotel is rather like walking down a busy street - yet turns into a wasteland at about 8.30 at night.
There are several places to take breakfast. On a sunny day, opting for continental breakfast allows you to eat in the Garden restaurant - half way along the 100 metre corridor separating the Main from the Garden Tower. The huge picture windows overlook a 10 acre Japanese garden, complete with red bridge, rock garden and fairly sizeable waterfall. It looks less polished when you walk round it, but from the breakfast room it is a spectacular oasis of peace over which to gaze while eating your beakfast.
We also had breakfast in the more popular, larger, and rather dismal breakfast room in the Main hotel. While the choice is good, the atmosphere is oppressive and the seating arrangements so convoluted that they contrive to create a 10 minute queue for a half empty restaurant at 06.00.
Over the last couple of visits I have eaten in a couple of the hotel's Japanese restaurants, including the really excellent Kyubey sushi restaurant. The Sky Bar is a different matter. Service is pitifully slow, the ambience is uninviting (which is why the lights are virtually on "off"), and the view is completely spoiled by the distraction of the revolving restaurant which circles the bar.
For the record, over the years I have found the service in the hotel to be solid if somewhat slow. This time they struggled to cope with the fact that I arrived with my wife rather than just alone as my booking indicated. What should have been a two minute rate adjustment took 15 minutes to resolve. This time round the bed had hairs in it: it happens in hotels; they were very apologetic; but it took two people an inordinate amount of time to remake the bed at 11.00 at night.
It's absolutely not a five star experience, but it is reliable and - for Tokyo - reasonably priced for what you get (25,000 Yen per day including breakfast).

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank D j R
Saint-Lambert, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed here two nights at the end of our Japan trip. The Garden Tower is an older building in the Hotel New Otani. We had a good sized room with two twin beds - unfortunately the beds were very hard and I did not sleep well. The furniture was older, a little outdated, but well kept. This is what you get for around $300. The "Main" building has much nicer rooms if you are willing to pay a few hundred dollars more. The hotel is well situated with easy access to the subway for a quick trip to Ginza or Harajuku. The breakfast buffet was good with a nice view of the lovely garden, and the airport bus starts it's journey from this hotel, which makes it very convenient (around $30 to get to Narita, don't ask the cost of a taxi!). The staff was very helpful, many of them spoke English, as is the norm in large hotels.

Room Tip: Get a room in the Main building!
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My finance and I had high hopes about dining at "The Sky" since we had read an article saying it had a great view of Tokyo. We made the reservation for a Friday night, and I was told (in writing) that the base price for dinner would be JPY9,505 per person. On Friday afternoon I had a work meeting and needed to change my reservation to the following night (Saturday).

We showed up on Saturday; view was ok but nothing great. Food was decent. Then the bill came. We were charged JPY 15,444 per person. When I pointed out that this was not what we had been quoted, I was told that this was the holiday price (effective Saturday but not Friday). I thought it was a bit unprofessional that no one had pointed this out when I changed my reservation but we decided not to let it ruin our night.

I gave the waiter my credit card, which was a Citibank American Express from Singapore. (we are expats living in Singapore). After awhile, the waiter came over and asked me to come and enter my pin. I told him, there is no pin because it's a credit card, not debit. He then said my card didn't work and we needed to provide another. My finance gave him her Citibank American Express card, also from Singapore (from her own account). She was also told her card didn't work. This was extremely strange to us since we had been using both cards the whole trip, all over Japan. We then each provided our Citibank Singapore Visa cards. They "did not work" either. When we said that we thought there must be a problem with the credit card machine at New Otani, and asked if they could manually key in the numbers or run it at another machine, our waiter became increasingly agitated and told us we needed to provide another card. He was repeating "Your card not working!" aggressively which to both me and my fiance felt like he was implying we had done something wrong or we did not really have money behind our cards, which could not be further from the truth.

At this point we had provided 4 cards. We had also stopped enjoying our dessert and coffee to come deal with the situation. It was embarrassing to us and many guests saw what was happening.

Another manager came back to our table and took a manual imprint of the card. We then left.

However, the following day, I got an email from my WORK COLLEAGUE based in Singapore. The New Otani had actually emailed my WORK saying that our cards still didn't work and the balance from dinner was outstanding. They asked my work colleague to ask if I could come back to the hotel and pay cash.

Now we were really infuriated. They got my colleague's work email from my away email address which said "for urgent / emergency matters please contact ____", and they had my email address because this is how I originally made my reservation. CLEARLY the dinner was a non-business matter and also a non-emergency matter; furthermore my cell phone was working just fine and that number was also listed on every correspondence I had with New Otani. Now my office has received emails which imply that my fiance and I don't have working credit cards. I was incredibly shocked that they would abuse my work "away" email auto message, particularly when they had my cell phone number and my cell phone worked fine. We called Citibank immediately who assured us all of our cards had ample credit and they saw no problem on their side.

The entire situation just ruined the end of our Tokyo trip and I will never be eating here again. For a 5 star restaurant and hotel, it's just unacceptable to me. The service was that of a 2- or 3-star. Employees not knowing how to use their own credit card machines or trouble-shoot situations professionally is not ok for how much you're paying.

On other notes the view is completely sub-par.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank sjb418
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Here for business. Service is excellent. Lots of stores in the complex. Airport bus stops here making it easy to get to and from airport. Expensive, but Tokyo is. For food, lots in the area or for the price difference, take a taxi.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ralph301
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Akasaka / Roppongi
#6 of 109 in Minato
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,033 reviews
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Royal Park Hotel The Shiodome, Tokyo

Been to Hotel New Otani Tokyo Garden Tower? Share your experiences!