“Great Experience...when you find it!”

and 1 more site!
First Cabin Akihabara
Utah
“Great Experience...when you find it!”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I LOVED this hotel. It was the perfect Japanese experience. The staff was friendly, the price was reasonable, it was clean, safe, good internet and a great location. I was looking for a "pod" hotel for my one night trip to Tokyo and this one was perfect. Granted it was on a Saturday night, so I'm sure I missed the drunken Japanese business men but it was quiet and very comfortable. Granted the bed was on the very firm side, but I was tired and didn't notice. Finding the hotel was another story. Even with 2 maps and some directions it still took a good half hour to figure out which street it was on. We were looking about 2-3 blocks away and I asked at least 4 people and none of them knew where it was. So, short version is if you get off the Metro line in Akihabara, do a 180 and go down 2 blocks and turn leff, it's down a couple/few block from there on your left. If you're coming from the JR line, cross the street to the south under the train tracks, turn right one block and then go left and then down a couple/few block on your left.

Short version, would I stay here again...yes if I was with my friends or traveling solo. But not possible with my family...still it was a great experience!

Room Tip: The deluxe room has about 2 feet of space to the side of the bed for a side table and a place to put...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Firstly, this place is very cheap. If you just need somewhere to crash for one night, you could do a lot, lot worse. The good bits: it's clean, the staff speak english, they have very fast, free wifi and it is well located.
The bad: I'm not sure if it's just me but I found the temperature to be unbearably hot (despite asking for it to be made a bit cooler). I didn't use the duvet at all and I spent most of the night sweating while listening to other people snoring. It is not easy to find. The temperature thing seemed to be a common factor on my trip to Japan - all the hotels I stayed in had very limited a/c controls and all seemed to be preset to at least 25 degrees. Even Haneda airport made me sweat!

The way this place works is that you unpack what you need (there is a lockable box in each capsule) and you leave your luggage in a storage room at reception. I only had a small carry-on so was able to find space to keep it with me. They give you PJs, towel, toiletries etc so you don't really need to take a lot up with you.

Be prepared - make sure you print off a map and a street view picture would be useful too. I traipsed around the district for a good hour looking for the hotel, after midnight. The confusion comes from trying to figure out which exit you came out of the station from. Eventually I switched my data roaming on and used google maps.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Location is good - close to Akihabara and Asaskusabashi stations. The map provided by the booking site I used was pretty rubbish - but I found it ok - it is one street south of the JR line i.e not on the road immediately beside the JR line.

I stayed in one of the larger pods so had quite a bit of space around the bed to leave my bag. The reception felt like a plush hotel and the pod was clean as were the shared toilet & shower facilities.

It is touted as an upmarket capsule hotel, but I don't think it gives the true Japanese capsule hotel experience. The only real negative is that as the pods have no doors (only curtains) if you have a loud snorer in one of the capsules near to you (as I did!) then you may not get a great nights sleep. Ear plugs are available for free at reception!

I only stayed one night and I think that is all it is intended for. Apparently you do have to vacate between 10am and 5pm even of you have booked more than one night's stay.

Free wifi in the pod and even a sleep suit to sleep in plus toileteries mean you can turn up with nothing and still have a comfortable nights sleep.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
FC秋葉原, front staff at First Cabin Akihabara, responded to this review, 19 July 2016
Thank you for coming and good comments.

Yes, our hotel located in Akihabara so you can go to many place in Tokyo.
I am sorry for difficult to find our hotel. Showa-dori exit is the nearest exit please check it before coming.

There are two type rooms, Business class cabin(standard capsule hotel room, only bed and security box) and First class cabin(120 cm wide size bed, more space and bigger security box).
Both of rooms provides necessary equipment at minimum space for your comfortable stay. All room has Wi-fi passwords.

Each room has roll curtain. If you would like to get a good sleep you can get ear plug for free at the front.

Check-in time is from 5 pm and check-out time is until 10 am.
if you stay more than one night, you can go out and come back to
hotel anytime.

We are looking forward to coming again.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Located in a sleepy neighborhood in Akihabara, this hotel is convenient for travel around Tokyo. The staff can speak English and communication is easy.

Unlike the branch in Kyoto, this First Cabin takes up the hold building. Besides a gender segregated bath on the first floor there are other basic amenities like a smoking room, vending machines and showers. Do note that the showers are shared so one might have to wait for one's turn during peak hours.

Lastly, do note that although it is near the train station it is not easy to find. Using maps and asking a local didn't help. I had to use Google Maps to find it. First Cabin does have a large sign neon sign but it only lights up at night. In the day, it is near impossible to find this hotel.

P.S. Floors are separated by gender but individual rooms has no doors or locks. They do have a lockable drawer for luggage, either below or next to the bed depending on the room.

Room Tip: All rooms are about the same. If you have large bags leave them at the counter as the room's dep...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for coming and comments.

Our location is convenient to go around Tokyo. it is takes 5 mins from Akihabara station. It has JR line, Tokyo Metro Hibiya line. Also You can come from Iwamoto-cho station and JR Asakusabashi station west exit.
We have some staff who can speak English.

There are shower room, wash room and vending machine each floor.The public spa, smoking room and lounge for chatting and eating are at the first floor.
Yes, peak time of shower room and public spa is 8 am and 11 pm, please use other time.

We try to make good sign to come to our hotel for traveler. If you do not know how to come here, please send a e-mail anytime or please check a map before coming.

We are looking to coming again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Checked in on Fri for 2 nights on my own and opted for first class.

Room 3/5:
The place is fancy, new, clean and the layout is well thought out. However it is a cabin, so if you are traveling with lots of luggage then I'd opt for first class. I have no idea how people stay in business class if you have even a small suitcase - leave it on the bed? Also it is dormitory style, so light sleepers might struggle with ambient light and surround snoring sound. Having said that the ear plugs they provide are REALLY good.

Convenience 4/5:
It's a 3min walk to Metro line and 7min to the JR. Akihabara is a well connected station and would make a decent base in Tokyo. There are plenty of convenient stores, restaurants and not to mention maid cafes :P in the area. Japan's google transit is awesome and accurate to the minute for trains/metro. So use that to guage whether Akihabara is the place for you.

Service/Facility 3/5:
I didn't ask for much and don't expect much. You do get reliable wifi in cabin and the bathroom has pretty much everything for the normal guy. One thing that bug me was the strict 5pm check-in policy. Don't worry this country are full of rules so may as well get used to it.

Value 4/5:
For 6000 a night you can't complain. You get a clean cabin in a very good location. If you are traveling light and alone this should be on your shortlist of place to stay.

Room Tip: The best rooms are the first class cabin and the ones next to it.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank hybrid713
FC秋葉原, フロントスタッフ at First Cabin Akihabara, responded to this review, 19 July 2016
Thank you for coming our hotel and good comments.
We can keep your luggage at front anytime during your stay.
Also we can keep it before check-in and after check-out.

Our location is also good, you can come from Akihabara station Showa-dori
Exit for 5 mins.
And Akihabara has many kind of restaurants, cafes, and big stores.

You can check-in from 5 pm to 2 am. I am sorry it is not convenient.

We are looking for coming again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Ochanomizu / Akihabara / Kanda
Capsule Value Kanda
Capsule Value Kanda
#3 of 9 in Chiyoda
Tokyo Ginza Bay Hotel

Been to First Cabin Akihabara? Share your experiences!