“Gigantic 5 star hotel”

Hotel New Otani Japanese Garden
Ranked #4 of 334 things to do in Chiyoda
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I have stayed several times at the new otany hotel. Its a gigantic complex as others have published already. Teh rooms are ok and bring all amenities which are necessary.
Comparing with other international hotels in asia, the TV does not have any movie channel. They offer Deutsche Welle what is fine for me as I can watch German news.
Breakfast is expensive but normal priced as in every 5* hotel all over the world. A Starbucks is around the corner for those staying on budget. Furthermore several Japanese restaurants are just around the corner.

1  Thank MaHanDe

Reviewed 25 January 2012

Nothing special about the hotel - it's connected to an office tower and there are restaurants here, but like all hotels the restaurants cost more than many other places to eat.

1  Thank jp2005
Reviewed 28 December 2011

The New Otani is as big as a small town. 20+ restaurants (try Ransen if you have big budget), small supermarket, post office, , pharmacy, book store, clinic, gardens, fashion boutiques, art galleries; you could check in an never leave the grounds. Room rates are usually 20% less than comparable hotels. If you can find the right deal worth trying.

3  Thank KenS8888
Reviewed 15 December 2009

As others have said, this hotel is a sprawling complex with a shopping mall and three separate towers of rooms. However I thought it was laid out rather nicely, and did not find the size to be a problem. The lobby is very nice, and the service was excellent throughout my entire stay. There is a beautiful Japanese garden you can walk through. All-in-all, a very nice place to stay.

I am giving it 4 stars (instead of 5) for several reasons. First, the room itself, while nice and big by Japanese standards, was nothing special. (I may be a bit biased here since I had just come from a different hotel with nicer rooms.) Second, the hotel is expensive: I was particularly shocked by the in-room Internet that cost about 50 cents per minute(!) but the restaurants are also expensive .Finally, and most problematic for me, the location of the hotel was not great. I did not find it to be close to any sites I wanted to see, nor was it particularly close to good restaurants or night life. (It was, however, easy walking distance to the Akasaka-Mitsuke metro station from which you can get elsewhere.)

In summary, this is a perfectly good place to stay but you may want to see if you can find a better deal elsewhere.

1  Thank JKDC
Reviewed 25 October 2009

We stayed here for one night at the end of our visit to Japan. I had stayed here previously when in Tokyo on business and it was lovely to return. We stayed on a Saturday and the hotel was very busy - as mentioned by other reviewers it's a huge place. Great location, gorgeous gardens. Our room was large and very well appointed with a big luxurious bathroom. Extremely helpful staff. We had dinner in Koto's - their Japanese restaurant - which was outstanding.