“Ultimate luxury in Tokyo”

The Peninsula Tokyo
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
“Ultimate luxury in Tokyo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful hotel! The rooms are beautifully designed, big and spacious, and the beds are the most comfortable in Japan. In fact so far they have the most comfortable beds with the most luxurious sheets of any hotel I've ever stayed in anywhere in the world. The concierge is brilliant and the bar on the top floor is fantastic. They have some secret beer in red and blue bottles which I tried to find some information on, but came up empty handed every time. They said in the bar that the beer is made just for them, somewhere out in the countryside, and they wouldn't even let me keep the bottle!

I think the other reviews on here about the fantastic room features and the beautiful bathroom say it all, I don't need to repeat it.

In Tokyo you do not need to stay anywhere else. My only criticism is the lobby is a little sterile and inappropriate in that you have to haul your luggage through the middle of everyone having heir afternoon tea. But really there is no where better to stay, top 5 star place.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank BillandPutri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

In one word: WOW. This hotel knows what the word Service means. I have stayed in many 5 star hotels across the world, but the Peninsula Tokyo really beats them all in terms of service.
We booked on their website where they have an offer with an automatic room upgrade (I think till the end of August) and we ended up in a lovely room with a beautiful view of the Imperial Palace park.
The room was meticulously clean, the bed really comfortable and there are different types of sockets for electricity, so we did not even need to use a converter. There are coffee and tea making facilities, which I thought was nice, although I must admit that the hot water for tea from the machine did spatter a bit, so you have to be a bit careful not to burn yourself. The fruit provided each day is of an amazing quality. Yes, it may only be 3 mandarins, but the taste of them: divine! Note that fruits in Tokyo are really expensive, but the taste...
The bathroom is great: the rain shower is very nice, the electronic toilet awesome and the bathtub fills up really, really quickly. When in the bathtub there is a button for relaxing music, which normally works on my nerves, but this was really nice and indeed relaxing. The only thing missing in the amenities was bath salt, which was a bit strange...
The concierge service is impressive. They recommended a number of really nice restaurants, made reservations, helped with making a ferry reservation for later on during our trip, checked whether we could attend a sumo match or visit a sumo stable (unfortunately it wasn't the season) and helped us with many more things. Nothing was too much. If they could not get the answer immediately, we would find a letter in our room when we returned to the room with the answer.
The location in Ginza is furthermore really good (note also that the hotel has direct access to the metro station) as it is a short walk to many sights as well as many great restaurants and shops.

We liked the hotel so much, that we decided to return at the end of our trip for one last night in Tokyo. Again, a nice room and great service!
Absolutely worth the money.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wien81
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

When I arrived at the Peninsula Tokyo at 8 PM after a very long flight, my room was still not ready for some reason. I made the booking months beforehand and this was obviously way after the official check-in times.

Instead of trying to rectify this situation the receptionist asked me if I am willing to purchase an upgrade. I find it very inappropriate to put pressure on the guest in such a situation.

If the Hotel screws something up and can't provide the booked room then the Hotel should rectify that with a free upgrade, not the other way around.
Coincidentally I made the same experience in other 5-Star Hotels in the same area (they try to upsale upgrades when checking in) so I'm starting to believe that this is normal etiquette in those establishments. I'm not tolerating this...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
16 Thank Kevin M
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We recently returned from a trip to Japan and Bali. We had stayed ina traditional Ryokan in Kyoto and splurged on a luxury hotel in Tokyo and loved it! The Peninsula is well known for luxury and service, and they proved it with our stay! We checked in and were escorted to a wonderfully spacious room. The bed, seating, area, bathroom, and room in general was exceptional. I really cannot say enough about this property. All of the staff greeted us each time we saw them and really cared that we had a great stay! I would absolutely stay here again!

Location: Great location, near Tokyo station for high speed trains. The hotel actually connects to the subway, so getting around Tokyo is a breeze!

Bed: Comfortable. Great linens

Room: Blackout curtains making sleeping easy! Spacious. We had a seating area as well as a dining area, which was a nice feature. The bathroom was huge and the closet/dressing area was spectacular!

Restaurants: We ate at the lobby as well as Peter and had a snack from the Boutique. All were great! I would recommend afternoon tea in the lobby. The tea was great and I really enjoyed the teatime snacks.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David A
Melbourne Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed here for only 2 nights at the end of our Japan trip. It was a magnificent end to our holiday. The staff were some of the friendliest I have ever encountered. There almost seemed to be more staff than guests!

Our room was beautiful. Big bedroom/living area, huge dressing room, and a spectacular bathroom. There is a control panel next to the bed that opens and closes curtains, changes light settings, adjusts air con, you can even change the room humidity!

The hotel spa, whilst not cheap, was also a luxurious treat!
The hotel is close to the Ginza shopping area, and lots of eateries.
I would happily stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michie011
Asia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Pen Tokyo exceeded our expectation with spacious room and fantastic spa. We arrived at the hotel after spending at another hotel near Tokyo Bay for convention. The Pen Tokyo is in a class of its own with well planned space and a designer user friendly bathroom. The walk in closet which is great when traveling with family with loads of luggages; the enclosed vanity area was a hide out for our son to surf the net . The separation of the bedroom area from the rest with a sliding door is a clever design for added privacy. Our room faces Hibiya park and very sunny with sound proofed windows and double shades to ensure black out for total relaxation.
Spa is first class- spotless, modern zen style with all the amenity. I also used the pool and it was again very enjoyable.
The only odd thing is the lobby which is situated at the end of the dining area. I guess it was designed to be in line with the Hong Kong Peninsula Hotel. To return to the room, one has to pass the dining area, pass the receptionist in order to reach the elevators.
Overall, we had a good stay at the Tokyo Pen and will surely give them our business if we head for Tokyo again.

Room Tip: Book park facing room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I truly live the Pen in Tokyo but can't help feeling a little let down. After my most recent stay (today is my last night) i just dont know how much they value repeat business or loyal customers. I've stayed at the Pen on at least 4 occasions and just wish they had a loyalty programme like many of their competitors. Just didnt feel that special this time round - my request for high floor (made at least 6 weeks ahead) was refused, best late check out is 12:30pm (usual is 12pm), bathroom toiletries refilled and not replenished with new supplies on at least 2 days.....all in all a little disappointed. would welcome an opportunity to speak directly with Pen staff to provide feedback.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank simonkaka
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
Palace Hotel Tokyo
#1 of 74 in Chiyoda
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,041 reviews
The Tokyo Station Hotel

Been to The Peninsula Tokyo? Share your experiences!