“Great for JR-pass holders”

Khaosan Tokyo Ninja
Ranked #13 of 22 Speciality lodging in Chuo
Stockholm, Sweden
“Great for JR-pass holders”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The hostel is situated in a quiet area in Tokyo very close to two JR stations, which makes it really convienient to use as a base when exploring Tokyo and surroundings. The hostel was clean and the staff was very helpful. It is a busy place, which on one hand gives you an opportunity to meet a lot of people and on the other hand can get a bit anonymous. It seemed liked there were quite a few people staying there long term as well.. The deluxe cabin beds were rather practical, giving you a bit of privacy and you could also lock all your belongings in there. Not soundproofed though and the dorm is rather big with people coming and going all through the night. There is a rapid train from Narita Airport which goes directly to the JR station just around the corner from the hostel, which is so convienient when arriving to Tokyo. You can avoid passing through Tokyo station (which is only two stations away) and you do not need to make reservations for the train. Just check the time table since it runs about once per hour. The area is quiet as said, which can be a relief when taking in all different impressions in Tokyo, but it also means you might want to go elsewhere in the evening. I found the standard pretty good for being a Tokyo hostel, just be aware that there is no elevator and the cabin beds are on fourth and fifth floor.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

I loved this hostel. It is the perfect place to stay it is walking distance from the subway and the JR. So if your traveling it is easy to get around also it's the middle of most major tourist attractions. My favorite thing about the hostel was the people and the beds. It is small bunk but it is closed off so you have about the same privacy you would have if you had your own. Room each bunk has a light and outlet so you can charge and relax. Great place only downside is it's a very popular hostel so book in advance

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Alopez365
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I luckily got a last minute reservation at the Khaosan Tokyo Ninja. As it is a hostel, you know you're not staying at the Ritz however, this is one of the best hostels in which I have ever stayed. The staff is so friendly and courteous. There was no problem that I didn't speak any Japanese. As a girl traveling by herself, I felt very safe and comfortable here. The staff gave me very detailed directions on how to get everywhere which were so helpful. Otherwise, I would have been 100% lost. The "capsule" beds are not bad. I was hesitant at first but it's pretty comfortable. My only complaint is that it got to be pretty hot in there because there didn't seem to be much airflow once I closed my door. There are lockers where you can secure your things-- it fit my medium sized backpack. The showers were so great and the bathrooms were very clean. Also, the location was very easy. I flew into Narita and took the subway in- couldn't have been simpler. Everything you want to do is right near here. A great hostel with a fun feel that won't break the bank. I'd recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

You sleep in a big box. It's awesome. Super clean comfortable and very friendly. We really wanted a hotel where we could sleep in the little stacked box bunks safely!! Not only was The Ninja hotel safe it was easy to access the city. We were only in town for three days and it really was the cherry on an awesome cake. I mean its called 'The Ninja Hotel', you expect awesomeness and it didn't disappoint!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Oneblondejess
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 25 August 2013

My almost 2-month trip to Japan a few of months ago ended here, Khaosan Ninja was my last stay before going Narita Airport.

As my trip was a mix of business + vacation, during some days I left my big suitcase in my office and going around with smaller hand carry baggage, and therefore I stayed in Khaosan Original & Annex without any issue, but I need to gather all my luggage together before my flight back, and the private room option of this Khaosan Ninja caught my attention.

Same as all other Khaosan series guesthouse, Ninja still offered me a stay with very decent pricing, comparing with capsule Inn I stayed in Nagoya, Ninja was only a little bit higher, but with a private room for me!! Yes there was a bunk bed inside my room but that's my private room!! I can easily to have some space + privacy to re-organize all my luggage before flying back home.

Ninja was pretty new compared with Original & Annex, all facilities looking new, and there were a bit more toilet/bath space for tenants, I don't really need to queue up most of the time.

In terms of location, it's near Bakuracho JR station, transportation is not really a problem, but that area is also not the same as where Original/Annex, not much food option, so I would say pretty much that's only good for sleep, but I don't mind as it'll be only 1 night stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

Super clean hostel with a convinient location for the train stations. Had a twin room which was really too small for 1 let alone 2. However saw that the next doora twin was bigger so may have been bad luck. Common area is nice and the staff very helpful. All in all a good stay

• Stayed June 2013
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We came to this place on the first night in Japan and it was a pleasant surprise. Very friendly staff and pretty clean and user friendly for a hostel !

There were a bunch of us guys using a whole floor of rooms so they were pretty accommodating

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chuo
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Irori Nihonbashi Hostel and Kitchen
Khaosan World Asakusa Ryokan & Hostel
Khaosan Tokyo Origami

Been to Khaosan Tokyo Ninja? Share your experiences!