“Awesome hotel, though some things could be better”

Toyoko Inn Kanda Akihabara
Ranked #46 of 92 Hotels / Ryokan in Chuo
“Awesome hotel, though some things could be better”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

This is the fifth Toyoko inn hotel stayed at during our five week trip in Japan. Also the first of the Toyoko inns where some of the reception staff spoke perfect English. The reception staff were very nice and friendly (with some minor exceptions) and very helpful with directions. There was also a free Shuttle bus stopping outside of Akihabara station, saving us a lot of walking time. (Note these buses are quite small so big luggage wont fit well if going to the airport via Akihabara).

The location is great. There were convenience stores at walking distance (Ministop, Lawson) and a Post Office across the street. Many restaurants in the area too. The hotel was easy to find and reach by the Chuo line from Tokyo stopping at Bakurocho station, as well as the Chuo line from Akihabara / Shinjuku stopping at Asakusabashi (about 10 minutes walk). Also a subway station (Asakusabashi) is quite close to the hotel. The only downside is the stairs that must be used to reach the station platform. Though Bakurocho can be a good way to get to Narita, either by using a regular train (85-90 mins) or by going to Tokyo station and switching to the Narita Express (NEX) (60 mins I think).

The rooms were great. Regular Toyoko inn rooms, though again I hate the way the bathroom is located about two inches above the floor. If you have bad knees or something or is just unaware you could trip and really hurt yourself. Also the water temperature was quite unpredictable. I could turn on the cold water knob and still get warm water for several minutes and the same with hot water. It could be luke warm for minutes then suddenly turn into burning hot. I nearly burnt myself several times because of this.

Rooms were very clean as well as corridors, common areas etc. They had quite a good system for the coinlaundry too. When leaving them unattended you were to put up your room number on a small white board (otherwise they would probably get rid of any unknown clothes in the machines). There were some very noisy guests at our floor, could be just coincidence.

I disliked the way they put a rather unstable 6 feet high floor lamp by the bed at every Toyoko inn hotel. In case of a big quake this would be the first thing to fall onto the floor and break into dozens of pieces of glass. I wouldn't want to step on that in case of an evacuation so I had put the chair in front of the lamp to prevent any possible lamp falling.

The breakfast was okay but I really missed having tea, there were only coffee. The kitchen lady seemed to be in a hurry all the time and some of the mornings she started to put everything away way before 9.30. If you are not supposed to be eating after 9.15 then they should put up that as a end time, not 9.30...

Another downside at the time were the common use computers there. During all the 11 nights of stay there was one broken of the two available and it was not fixed during that time. Fortunately there were no queues for them but still the one left was rather unstable. The browser crashed several times making me quite frustrated.

Luggage store available if arriving before check-in or doing some business after check-out.

Guests were mainly Japanese businessmen so if you're looking for company you should look elsewere. Otherwise it is a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Getaman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 21 April 2013

This was a great hotel to stay at, and it's definitely worth your money. A nice little business hotel that's a 10 minute walk from Akihabara Station/Electric Town. From there, the train to Tokyo Station is about 3-4 minutes (2 stops away). There is a free shuttle bus from the hotel at 7am to 10am to Akihabara Station, and the same from the station between 6pm to 11pm. Great if you want to do some late night shopping, eat dinner, and don't want to walk back. The hotel staff are incredibly polite.
The only (ever so slight) qualm anyone would have, is that you have to grab amenities/toiletries from the lobby, as they don't provide them in your room (razors etc.). But who really cares about that? The shampoo, face/body wash, and conditioner are in pumps in your bathroom.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rika M
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 5 nights and have not regretted booking here. Breakfast was basic, be ready to have steamed sausage everyday, potato salad was tasty , so are the bread. Check-in was easy, front desk personnel were very helpful. If you are coming from Narita via Bakurocho Station , be prepared to climb a number flights of stairs. It would be easy if you travel light , I never mastered that art. A convenient store is at the corner , and another one a block away. Room was typical in size , by Japanese standards , perfect if you are alone, but maybe a bit small for two. I find the area safe if you want to venture out at night for a quick snack. Not much activity in the area , but liked the proximity of the hotel to train station , be prepared to walk a lot, and the various places of interest in Tokyo. I only wish they have twin rooms with two single beds. I was told by a resident that we got a good deal for the price we payed. I would come back again in this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: A lower floor room , in case of an earthquake.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank DauphinJonas
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed 23 November 2012

- Not far away from Tokyo station.
- Staff can speck some English.
- Can leave luggage before and after check in.
- Provide free shuttle bus to Akihabara JR station in the morning (approximately 7am - 10am)and evening (from 6pm) every 30 minutes(contact the front desk for the timetable or visit their japanese version website)
- Suitable for people who travel both JR train and Subway
- Only 1-2 minutes walk from the entrance of Subway station.
- Walk about 5-10 minutes to JR platform
- Walk about 15-20 minutes to Subway platform
- Small convenient store next to the hotel : less food,better buy from other places.
- No restaurants around there.
- If you travel with heavy luggage,there was no elevator on the way from JR ticket gate to hotel. Have to carry by yourself.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Tharntip T
Shanghai
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed 4 nights in two rooms in the first week of April 2012. This hotel has a clean but small room, it is for only 2 people. The staff is polite and smiling and helped us with information regarding how to go to touristic points of Tokyo.
The pillow and mattress are hard so the sleeping is not so comfortable. Although it is close to the subway/train station it is far from all the main attractions in Tokyo so you need to constant change to other lines. Maybe It is really a hotel for one night of a business trip.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Seremban, Malaysia
Reviewed 15 February 2012

My husband & I decided to go to Tokyo in 2010 and managed to book the air-ticket with the package with a really cheap price. This is the hotel we have chosen. We have no idea about the place of Bakuro-cho but trust the Japan hotels will be very clean and nice.
We arrived Haneda airport around 11.00pm and hop in the pre-arranged cab which brought us straight to the hotel.
This is a really nice and clean hotel where you find friendly staffs around. Even they are not really good in English, they tried their very best in explaining the places to go to both of us.
7-11 is just on the right and the JR line Bakuro-cho station is just within a stone throw. It's not crowded and very quiet at night.
The hotel serves simple breakfast and I noticed that a lot of people stay there for business trip because of the location and price.
The hotel room is relatively small but what do you expect for a nice hotel with good price? we have 1 big luggage where we have to put it under the bed. The design of the room is only fit for 2 persons. I like the bathroom. Eventually small but still fit in a bath tub. It's very clean and tidy and made me feel comfortable even the room is not big.
I will recommend if you're travelling with budget, this is a very good hotel because it's easy to access.
I traveled in Jan 2011.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cjwa_79
Singapore
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I liked this Toyoko Inn – the location was good for my plans, and it provided the usual high standard of cleanliness and newish rooms, and a good breakfast – great value for budget rates.

As we had stayed at Toyoko Inn Ikebukuro 2 for 5 nights (30Nov-4Dec 2011) in Tokyo prior to activating our JR Pass, we had, during those days, explored places more or less in the west part of Tokyo – Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku, Roppongi.

On our return to Tokyo after exploring along the route from south Japan (Kyushu) to north Japan (Hokkaido), I decided to pick Toyoko Inn Kanda Akihabara as it was near these other places on the east part of Tokyo that I wanted to visit – Akihabara (just one-stop from Asakusabashi Station), Ueno (just 2 stops from Asakusabashi) & Asakusa (just 2 stops from Asakusabashi). We stayed for 2 nights – 25th & 26th December 2011 – enough time for sightseeing and final rounds of shopping.

I picked a hotel within walking distance from a JR station (for this hotel it’s Asakusabashi Station on the JR Sobu Line, plus Toei subway too) because the day we arrive in Tokyo from Hokkaido, we’d still be using our JR Pass, though it was the very last day of our 21-day JR Pass.

And from Asakusabashi Station, it was 6 stops to get to Yotsuya Station (both stations are on JR Sobu line) which is next to St Ignatius Catholic Church, to attend the Christmas Mass (English) at noon on Christmas Day. Previously on 4th December 2011, I remember we had to change trains to get to St Ignatius‘ Sunday Mass (4pm, English) when we were staying at Toyoko Inn Ikebukuro 2 then.

I also wanted to stay near Ueno as I had planned to get to Narita Airport (for our flight home) the cheapest way (as there’s six of us) – by using the Keisei Main Line (I’d thought we’d get to Nippori Station via Ueno Station to catch the Keisei Main Line to NRT) instead of taking the more expensive NEX or Liners.

But on the night of our departure, I happened to use Jorudan and it said to go from Asakusabashi to Oshiage (6 mins via Toei Subway Asakusa line), then to Aoto (9mins via Keisei Oshiage line local) then to NRT T1 (66min via Keisei Main Line Ltd Express). It looked like a lot of transfers and hauling of our trolley bags and looking for right platforms and right trains at each transfer.

Nevertheless, undaunted, we tried it the next day, and we found the 3 transfers not at all as bad as it looked on paper. We did not have to change platforms at all. One train drops you on the left side of the platform while the other one picks you up on the right side of the same platform. So it was merely alight from one train, pull trolley bag, say five paces to the other side of same platform and hop in another train. It's evident the smart people who plan train routes had thought it through very well. Good job!

On hindsight, one thing I liked about getting to NRT this way was the free and easy feel about it (since we had given ourselves ample time). There was no scheduled train which we have to catch at a certain time (as there are no reserved seating on these trains anyway). Basically, we just hop into the next train that came by (as long as we've ascertained it was going where we wanted to go), and that was how we made all 3 transfers to NRT. (Oh, contrast that with making sure we catch all those time-scheduled shinkansens and night trains to go from city to city with reserved seat tickets!)

On the day of our departure, we left the hotel at 2.15pm and arrived at NRT T1 (then short walk to NRT International Airport T1, dropped by the JR office to turn in our suica and get our suica deposit refunded, then a bit of time spent looking for Delta counter) for check in slightly before 4.30pm for our 6.25pm Delta flight.

So the whole thing (plus walking from hotel to Asakusabashi Station) took slightly over 2 hours and just 1060Y per adult on our suica (half for child) – that was fine as we had time. (We got the one-way NEX and suica package, and not the two-way NEX and suica package, on our way in to Tokyo from NRT on arrival as the two-way NEX tickets are only valid for up two weeks – our trip was 4-week long).

After checking in our luggage with the airline (the queue was very short then as we were third in line immediately, but Delta’s self-check in machine was such a frustrating letdown and totally incompetent for checking in a group of six people), we still had an hour to check out the airport mall before boarding time (5.30pm) came round. We discovered the airport mall is HUGE – one hour is certainly not enough if you like shopping a lot. Luckily for us, we’ve long finished all our shopping the day before.

On leaving the airport mall an hour later, we joined the very long queue for security clearance in order to get to the departure gate for boarding. Glancing over to the check-in area on our right, I saw long queues of people over there too. Boy, were we glad we did not have to first get through that long check-in mess, and then face another long queue for the security clearance.

I got beeped by the metal detector doorway thingy during security clearance and was told to remove my shoes and try again. No big deal for lots of people had to remove their shoes. Anyway, it’s like the norm in America and it’s a Delta flight, after all. All those wearing boots had to take them off even before they got to the doorway thingy. Turned out it was my pretty hairclip (bought in Japan) that caused the beep.

Dang, after that we had another incident where my son’s prized souvenir buy - a katana umbrella (long, black umbrella where the handle resembles the handle of a Japanese katana/sword) - was not allowed as carry-on luggage. We had to go check that in. Sigh.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank hissyfit
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chuo
Toyoko Inn Tokyo Station Shinohashi Mae
Toyoko Inn Tokyo Nihonbashi
Ueno, Asakusa
Toyoko Inn Tokyo Akiba Asakusabashi-eki Higashi-guchi
Hotel Nihonbashi Villa
Toyoko Inn Tokyo Nihombashi Ningyocho
Ueno, Asakusa
Keikyu EX Inn Asakusabashiekimae

Been to Toyoko Inn Kanda Akihabara? Share your experiences!